Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,176,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by micla0 View Post
Is there a high risk of getting your limbs blown off when you're paving roads or growing food?
Yes, actually. Farm work can be dangerous and road work is extremely risky with the threat of speeding motorists.

My point is, plenty of people put their lives at risk to provide you with the security and comfort that you enjoy, but they aren't celebrated as heroes. Whenever there is a major storm or tornado, road and utility crews work hours on end in terrible conditions to get things back to normal. When do you see people praising them as heroes?

Stop acting like the military is different. The majority of soldiers work in support roles and administration. You think some desk clerk is a hero? That diminishes the roles of actual heroes.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:34 PM

32,128 posts, read 15,124,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, actually. Farm work can be dangerous and road work is extremely risky with the threat of speeding motorists.

My point is, plenty of people put their lives at risk to provide you with the security and comfort that you enjoy, but they aren't celebrated as heroes. Whenever there is a major storm or tornado, road and utility crews work hours on end in terrible conditions to get things back to normal. When do you see people praising them as heroes?

Stop acting like the military is different. The majority of soldiers work in support roles and administration. You think some desk clerk is a hero? That diminishes the roles of actual heroes.
I would take your point seriously if you enlist to fight ISIS. Would you do that for your country.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So did you serve. And no it's not just a ordinary job. You are away from family and home for many months. Some come back some don't. Like I said, you go over and fight for us. Why don't you do that.
Most people in the military don't fight. You have some skewed views about the military. I give credit to anyone who has put his life on the line, but having lived my whole life around the military, I recognize that most soldiers are just doing a job.

My father was in the airborne and served in the first Gulf War, as did my brother. My grandfather fought in WW2 and his brother fought at the Battle of Okinawa. All of my family thinks it's silly to call everyone who served a hero.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 PM

109 posts, read 74,761 times
Quote:
All of my family thinks it's silly to call everyone who served a hero.
Nobody is saying literally every person who served is a hero, so this one is for you:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Most people in the military don't fight. You have some skewed views about the military. I give credit to anyone that has put his life on the line, but having lived my whole life around the military, I recognize that most soldiers are just doing a job.

My father was in the airborne and served in the first Gulf War, as did my brother. My grandfather fought in WW2 and his brother fought at the Battle of Okinawa. All of my family thinks it's silly to call everyone who served a hero.
So if I have skewed views on the military, what is your take on the ones coming home in body bags or without limbs or even brain injuries. My dad fought in WW2 and he is my hero. I'm so sorry you have so little disrespect for your family who fought.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
So if I have skewed views on the military, what is your take on the ones coming home in body bags or without limbs or even brain injuries. My dad fought in WW2 and he is my hero. I'm so sorry you have so little disrespect for your family who fought.
Did you get a brain injury too? You clearly have some reading comprehension issues based on your interpretations of my posts.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Did you get a brain injury too? You clearly have some reading comprehension issues based on your interpretations of my posts.
I don't think so. Can you answer my post please.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. Can you answer my post please.
Nope. I'm done wasting my time with you.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:09 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,488,169 times
Quote:
So you don't think our military fighting for our freedom aren't heroes.
How are US military actions in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Grenada, Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, and Somalia etc... "fighting for our freedom"?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:25 PM

109 posts, read 74,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How are US military actions in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Grenada, Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, and Somalia etc... "fighting for our freedom"?
I haven't seen anybody make that claim.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies