Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,854,986 times

Advertisements

I recall when only down on their luck folk enlisted in the military unless it was a choice program such as Naval Nuclear Power Operator Program or similar.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:38 AM

39,269 posts, read 27,671,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
I agree with this

"Calling all cops and troops heroes insults those who actually are heroic – the soldier who runs into the line of fire to protect his division, the police officer who works tirelessly to find a missing child – by placing them alongside the cops who shoot unarmed teenagers who have their hands in the air, or the soldier who rapes his subordinate."

You don’t protect my freedom: Our childish insistence on calling soldiers heroes deadens real democracy - Salon.com

This is actually one of the well written anti-war article.

Hero, by definition, is simply this

a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. 2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

Hero | Define Hero at Dictionary.com

In my opinion,

"Farias, who had a broken collar bone, suffered a concussion and while bloodied from shrapnel in his face and neck, continued firing his grenade launcher and rifle at enemy forces even after being told to seek cover. By doing so, Farias saved the lives of at least 7 seriously injured Marines, one of which was his best friend."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/f...nes-medal.html

Corporal Christopher Farias is a true hero, NOT because he volunteered to join the military NOT because politicians sending him to fight a foreign war, he is a hero because he fits the above hero definition.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,097,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
ANYONE who voluntarily takes a public service job knowing that it could result in being shot, stabbed, blown up, or otherwise severely injured or killed is a hero. This includes military, police, firefighters, paramedics... the list goes on. If you don't see heroism in someone who knows that their job may be to step in front of enemy fire in order to protect others - whether or not you agree with where they do that protecting - then you should take a good long look in the mirror and rethink your point of view.

I don't agree with about half of the wars we have been involved in over the last 50 years, but that doesn't mean that the soldiers who fought those wars are any less heroic than the soldiers who fought the wars that I feel were justified.
Far from the truth...most guys I know who have went into the military did so because of lack of jobs or for the college and I know some did join during the Iraq war out of some deluded sense of "protecting freedom"(our freedom has never been at stake in the ME,oil companies freedom was at stake there)..so no,not the definition of a hero.

If you think your average cop,FF or EMT is a hero,you are deluded in a major way and you live in a Norman Rockwell world and I am envious of you for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If the mission of us troops was to protect our freedoms, they'd be marching on DC.
Best post so far

Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 AM

39,269 posts, read 27,671,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If the mission of us troops was to protect our freedoms, they'd be marching on DC.
I don't need troops to march on DC in order to feel my freedom is protected. I want them just be combat ready troops, and how to use them is politicians job.

and if we select the wrong politicians, blame ourselves for that, not the troops.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
At least the middle east vets can point to oil as a reason they were fighting. Nearly 50 years later I am still wondering what I was doing in Vietnam. I am not convinced though that Iraq, Afghanistan, ISIS etc are about oil. It is simpler than that. These wars and the Vietnam war all were about defense spending - just getting people killed so that the defense industry had a "cause". The dead and the wounded were all for nothing but profit for the wealthy. Veterans are just pawns in the war to further line the pockets of a minority of investors.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
I agree calling a corrupt cop a hero, is an insult to real heros.

Was Bergdahl a hero because he wore a uniform? I recall the OP calling him a coward, so even he would agree with the author.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,784,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
ANYONE who voluntarily takes a public service job knowing that it could result in being shot, stabbed, blown up, or otherwise severely injured or killed is a hero. .
What about this guy?

Or this guy?

And here's a whole site:

http://www.policebrutality.info/

Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why are you suggesting this guy is some kind spokesman for all liberals? He is just one writer for Daily Beast, among many others. I don't even know if he is a liberal himself.
Probably due to a lack of education and ignorance. Believe it or not, not everyone is smart enough to understand that an anecdotal opinion pieces don't reflect the opinion of everyone.

You should see some of the OP's other posts. I hope she is not republican. We already have enough people bringing the part down.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why are you suggesting this guy is some kind spokesman for all liberals? He is just one writer for Daily Beast, among many others. I don't even know if he is a liberal himself.
Generalizing and stereotyping are hallmarks of the extreme conservative mindset.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,612,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post

What the... ? That second picture, am I seeing this right? Is this pig using pepper spray on a little girl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies