Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,417,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obviously the father didn't prepare his son for being called the n word. We can't protect our kids of all what goes on in the world.. it is a bad place with bad people as well as the good.

He didn't and if you read the entire article you would understand why. Mr. Graham believed providing his children with an upper class life experience and all that entails would shield his children from the experiences his wife and him had growing up.

The implications of what happened to his son, in 2014, are important to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 AM

33,610 posts, read 18,276,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He didn't and if you read the entire article you would understand why. Mr. Graham believed providing his children with an upper class life experience and all that entails would shield his children from the experiences his wife and him had growing up.

The implications of what happened to his son, in 2014, are important to understand.
No one can shield anyone from the bad in the world.. this world is corrupt in all ways . We can try to keep our children shielded for just so long, but in reality the world is getting worse, not better. Look at tv, character building is gone. The idols of today are far from being innocent and ideal.

I would love for all kids to live in an idealist world. But as I see things, they are getting worse. I love the idea that this father wanted his kids to be shielded forever from the harshness of this world where bad people say bad things for a joke. It is disgusting and so wrong. But we must prepare the child for the bad people of the world.. When I was young I didn't think the world as bad, then as I grew up I saw things, my father told me, do not be naive. We don't always see justice, goodness and righteousness prevail.

My father said, because I was trustworthy , doesn't mean everyone is like you. If you do not steal , doesn't mean there are no thieves in the world. etc.. He was right. I feel for this child. I know, I experienced that the world is not an ideal place and it was heartbreaking.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,417,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No one can shield anyone from the bad in the world.. this world is corrupt in all ways . We can try to keep our children shielded for just so long, but in reality the world is getting worse, not better. Look at tv, character building is gone. The idols of today are far from being innocent and ideal.

I would love for all kids to live in an idealist world. But as I see things, they are getting worse. I love the idea that this father wanted his kids to be shielded forever from the harshness of this world where bad people say bad things for a joke. It is disgusting and so wrong. But we must prepare the child for the bad people of the world.. When I was young I didn't think the world as bad, then as I grew up I saw things, my father told me, do not be naive. We don't always see justice, goodness and righteousness prevail.

My father said, because I was trustworthy , doesn't mean everyone is like you. If you do not steal , doesn't mean there are no thieves in the world. etc.. He was right. I feel for this child. I know, I experienced that the world is not an ideal place and it was heartbreaking.
This is a good post and perhaps the father himself was naive in believing his economic class level would protect his children from the harsh realities of the world.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,352,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
So in your book it would be acceptable to call anyone the N word if you thought affirmative actions somehow was involved at sometime in their life. How about the President and most black americans today. Would you condone conservatives calling them the N word because somehow you thought they were the recipients of affirmative action. How about in the military do you think it would be acceptable to call superior officers the N word? Just wondering.
That's not what I said.

Please don't ask stupid questions.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 AM

41,008 posts, read 49,475,303 times
Quote:

Two white men felt entitled to pull over and call a young black teen a ******.

Those two incident right there should tell you that there are very different experiences in America depending on your skin color.
NO where in the article does it say 2 white men were in the car, you just assume it.

The odds are very high the 2 men in the car were Black due to the fact they will call another Black the N word much faster and more often than almost any white.

BTW, young white males get pulled over all the time by cops just because they look suspicious.
Being a white female, you don't know what white males go through.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,788,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Why change the victims thinking?

Change the behavior of the bully.

Why gee, of course, what a great idea.

So, how to you propose to change the behavior of the bully? Mind control?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 AM

79,128 posts, read 61,253,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is how many black people start out hating white people
I grew up in a town that had no black people.

I went off to college and made a wade array of friends of many races, colors and nationalities.

So, one day I had a black guy (not a student) say something extremely racially offensive to me, enough so that I had to consider beating his ass but then considered he had a bunch of buddies with him and my friends with me at the time weren't my "throw down" friends but actually my "nerd friends" who would have gotten slaughtered. So, I walked it off and ignored him.

Later in college, my friend, a complete avowed liberal and pacifist got beat by a mob for "walking while white" after the Rodney King verdict. I drove him home from the hospital that night.

Shockingly, neither of these events made me hate black people....they just made me despise uneducated fools out looking for trouble....I knew the type, in my hometown they were called thugs, punks etc. and the only difference was pigmentation.

The world has plenty of a-holes of every color. Really don't know how you get through it without encountering them at one point and time or another.

Anyone that lets their experiences with those individuals color their opinions of entire blocks of people based upon religion, skin color, gender or whatnot is a fool and has my pity because they probably picked up that thinking from family.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:13 AM

79,128 posts, read 61,253,261 times
Quote:
I would be interested in reading more about this. You should think about writing an article about it. I think it would serve an important purpose in the ongoing national discussion on race relations in our country.
I have a friend whose nickname in highschool was "white girl". That's right, people called her that in the hallway. She could tell you a lot of stories.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 AM

30,530 posts, read 23,956,209 times
Words only mean something if you give them power. I've been called every name under the sun, and I just don't care. It doesn't affect my life, because I don't care enough about any person who may have called me those things to get all riled up about it to the point of making up an article.

It really is this easy: Don't give the word any power over your life.

So someone called you a *****. WHO CARES? So someone called you a cracker? WHO CARES. So someone called you something even more vile depending on your age, gender, or race? WHO. CARES!

If you teach your kids that it's not about the word, it's about the idiot behind the words, then they'll learn that the person slinging those words doesn't deserve any time camped in their minds. People are going to think what they think, people are going to say what they say. You can choose to accept that and have enough self esteem not to give a flying spit what some random fool thinks of you, or you can cry all day and night that your entire world was shattered because someone called you a name.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,964,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
No, "cracker" is nowhere near as bad. White people don't spend their time trying to prove to the rest of society that they're not crackers. Black people have to prove to people that they're not n*ggers everyday. Whenever they step into a store, or hail a cab, or walk near White women wearing purses. Not to mention the historical baggage of the "n*gger" word: of being a worthless, uneducated Black slave.

Empathy fail.
Well you need to tell THAT to Black people who DON'T trust young Black dudes.

Jesse Jackson - Wikiquote

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.... After all we have been through. Just to think we can't walk down our own streets, how humiliating.
Remarks at a meeting of Operation PUSH in Chicago (27 November 1993). Quoted in "Crime: New Frontier - Jesse Jackson Calls It Top Civil-Rights Issue" by Mary A. Johnson, 29 November 1993, Chicago Sun-Times (ellipsis in original). Partially quoted in "In America; A Sea Change On Crime" by Bob Herbert, 12 December 1993, New York Times."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies