Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:04 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,793,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree with your first paragraph...

but obviously since you REMEMBER being called all those names it had an impact on you.

Not sure why people need to tell their story every time someone else tells there's... it's not like you story isn't true.
Indeed. It had the same impact on my that it should have on this young man. You learn a lesson that there are people out there who are no damn good.

However, it did not ruin my life or make me hate black people. Nor should it run this lad's life and make him hate whites.

He has had an upsetting experience. Guess what? There will be more. Of all types. That is LIFE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,451,290 times
"These are just a few of the humbling rules..."

Most of what that guy considered "humbling rules" are taught (or should be taught) to all kids. 1. Don't run around police. 2. Tape your encounters with police (note that this might antagonize them)... 9. Greet shopkeepers with a smile. Only one of his "humbling rules" was specifically racial (having a white person hail a cab) - the rest of the "humbling rules" are good manners (dress up for parties) and common sense (keep your hands where they can be seen during a traffic stop).

IMO the author is trying to gain victimhood status by associating his 'experience' with those of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. Instead of "Malibu's Most Wanted", he wants to be "Rye's Most Wanted"...

Old 11-12-2014, 11:50 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is the great irony with black conservatives;

You would think the misguided conservative values would unite blacks and whites.

Then you realize... a white conservative racist will never accept you. It is what it is.
Really??? That's what you took from the story? No, this wasn't some white conservative male that called this kid a name. It was ignorant townies who were clearly jealous that this kid had more than them and always would both in terms of education and wealth. It happens all the time to boarding school kids of all races. They just try and think of the absolute insult they can call you and run with it. It's silly to think that ignorant people jealous of one's success can be a litmus test of an entire group of people. That would be like saying all black people are thugs because of the few who are and we both know that's not true!

Quote:
interesting.

the "n####r" drive by is damn near a right of passage for the average Black person...

fortunately most of us were raised outside of a bubble and laughed it off because driving by and screaming racial epitaphs is a sign of weakness.
That's how I was raised and most of my friends. We would laugh it off and go on in our day, secure in the knowledge that we wouldn't let something like a word become something that destroyed us.

Let me repeat this though. This has more to do with this kid being at boarding school and the tension between those kids and the townies than anything else. It happened to all of us all of the time at boarding school and it didn't matter the race. They would just go for an insult they thought would have the most impact. Sad part is that those ignorant people would drive away thinking they 'scored' some point or something but we were the ones getting a world class education with our futures looking very bright indeed.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,828,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I went to a majority black school and endured and saw much worse black treatment of whites than what was described in that article as treatment of blacks at a white majority school. In fact, it's no contest. Which is worse, being called a N***** or being stabbed to death or beaten unconscious?
And the bad thing is they feel validated and entitled to it.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM

13,977 posts, read 5,636,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
RLet me repeat this though. This has more to do with this kid being at boarding school and the tension between those kids and the townies than anything else. It happened to all of us all of the time at boarding school and it didn't matter the race. They would just go for an insult they thought would have the most impact. Sad part is that those ignorant people would drive away thinking they 'scored' some point or something but we were the ones getting a world class education with our futures looking very bright indeed.
I attended a computer camp at a fancy boarding school back in the early 80s, and yeah, the townie vs preppy thing was very tangible. We were cautioned similarly to the tourist destinations in the 3rd World that advise you to not leave the confines of the resort, and every knucklehead who didn't heed that advice had at least one bad experience that taught them a valuable lesson.

Having already endured more than a couple beatings for being smart, I took the school's advice and stuck really close to all the other smart people and our little bunker.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,988,281 times
Quote:
interesting.

the "n####r" drive by is damn near a right of passage for the average Black person...

fortunately most of us were raised outside of a bubble and laughed it off because driving by and screaming racial epitaphs is a sign of weakness.
Maybe, as a woman, I expect a little more backbone from folks.

Because having men yell sexist statements is darn near a right of passage for the average woman. The difference is, most women just put their big girl panties on and deal with it.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I attended a computer camp at a fancy boarding school back in the early 80s, and yeah, the townie vs preppy thing was very tangible. We were cautioned similarly to the tourist destinations in the 3rd World that advise you to not leave the confines of the resort, and every knucklehead who didn't heed that advice had at least one bad experience that taught them a valuable lesson.

Having already endured more than a couple beatings for being smart, I took the school's advice and stuck really close to all the other smart people and our little bunker.
Yep and in some ways, I can see why there is tension. After all, this was where I went to school

File:Memorial House (dorm) 1 - Choate Rosemary Hall.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

And this is where the townies went
Wallingford Public Schools: News at Lyman Hall

They didn't have a bad school but it's a world away from boarding school with beautiful campuses, great facilities, and excellent prospects. Jealousy happens and it creates tension. Like I said earlier, this author needs to understand why this happened and just calm down. His kid is still just as privileged today as he was before this happened.

****Seriously, I didn't intend the picture size difference. I just couldn't find good photos of the town's high school.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM

779 posts, read 633,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Maybe, as a woman, I expect a little more backbone from folks.

Because having men yell sexist statements is darn near a right of passage for the average woman. The difference is, most women just put their big girl panties on and deal with it.
Try getting that through to the folks on the women and street harassment thread. They seem to believe that because women dislike it and would prefer that it stop that equates to being fragile little flowers who crumble when a breeze blows. Ha!

This story is a little sad. We say pull yourself up by your bootstraps, study hard, move to a nice neighborhood and everything will be ok. I guess someone forgot to tell him that you can achieve the American dream but the American reality is that places are filled with small-minded, jealous, angry, silly little people who will try to **** on your parade. He has to take comfort in knowing that he is going to get to go home to his lovely home, attend dinner parties with his smart friends, and all of the other things that his hard work and lovely lifestyle have afforded him.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
This story is a little sad. We say pull yourself up by your bootstraps, study hard, move to a nice neighborhood and everything will be ok. I guess someone forgot to tell him that you can achieve the American dream but the American reality is that places are filled with small-minded, jealous, angry, silly little people who will try to **** on your parade. He has to take comfort in knowing that he is going to get to go home to his lovely home, attend dinner parties with his smart friends, and all of the other things that his hard work and lovely lifestyle have afforded him.
There's so such thing as an insular life even if one tries to buy it. I don't think there's many people out there, even the very wealthy, who think they can have such a thing. It's both naive and unrealistic to think that success means never having to interact with people who hate you just because of your success.

This is not a black or white problem though and that's where I have issue with the author. It's not about racism. It's about jealousy and these ignorant fools utilized the most insulting word they could think of to try and bring his son down because they were jealous he was somewhere they could never be.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Try getting that through to the folks on the women and street harassment thread. They seem to believe that because women dislike it and would prefer that it stop that equates to being fragile little flowers who crumble when a breeze blows. Ha!

one instance in 15 years is indicative of a society 'filled' with these types?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies