Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obviously the father didn't prepare his son for being called the n word. We can't protect our kids of all what goes on in the world.. it is a bad place with bad people as well as the good.

Somewhere the kid was "taught" that whenever he hears that word aimed in his direction that he should panic and hide. It is just like yelling "bomb" the way he reacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There is no need for hate. Honestly the best way to confront ignorance is with violence...
Shabazz I knew you had it in you.

Took long enough to leak out.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Considering white people were rarely, if ever, lynched....

Considering white people are rarely, if ever, shot and killed by police and citizens for undue reasons....

Considering white people are less likely to be convicted of crimes they have committed versus the fact that minorities are more likely to be convicted of crimes they did NOT commit...

You have no clue what you are talking about. This is about more than a word, growing thick skin and/or learning coping mechanisms.

More whites have been lynched than blacks. That is a fact.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There is no need for hate. Honestly the best way to confront ignorance is with violence...

Yeah, because that is a good way to get people to support your cause! Not to mention your resorting to violence could backfire by either making you dead, or in prison! I mean seriously, are you really going to risk throwing your livelihood away and resort to violence over some a-hole dropping the "N" word?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,537,471 times
You learn a lot about people by who they allow to have control over their emotions and feelings.

Sad.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
This is the great irony with black conservatives;

You would think the misguided conservative values would unite blacks and whites.

Then you realize... a white conservative racist will never accept you. It is what it is.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 AM

30,398 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I grew up in a town that had no black people.

I went off to college and made a wade array of friends of many races, colors and nationalities.

So, one day I had a black guy (not a student) say something extremely racially offensive to me, enough so that I had to consider beating his ass but then considered he had a bunch of buddies with him and my friends with me at the time weren't my "throw down" friends but actually my "nerd friends" who would have gotten slaughtered. So, I walked it off and ignored him.

Later in college, my friend, a complete avowed liberal and pacifist got beat by a mob for "walking while white" after the Rodney King verdict. I drove him home from the hospital that night.

Shockingly, neither of these events made me hate black people....they just made me despise uneducated fools out looking for trouble....I knew the type, in my hometown they were called thugs, punks etc. and the only difference was pigmentation.

The world has plenty of a-holes of every color. Really don't know how you get through it without encountering them at one point and time or another.

Anyone that lets their experiences with those individuals color their opinions of entire blocks of people based upon religion, skin color, gender or whatnot is a fool and has my pity because they probably picked up that thinking from family.
I grew up in a majority black town and went to school at a majority black school. I could hate because of the insulting and offensive things said to me often by blacks (I was the only white guy on the bus and on my basketball team), I could hate all blacks because a group beat my sister unconscious and robbed her and her bf, I could hate all blacks for thoroughly beating up my best friend, I could hate all blacks for stabbing one of my friends...but the truth is that most are not hate-worthy so you have to judge each person according to their behavior.

I realize that blacks have endured horrible treatment as a group in the past. I know my ancestors endured and survived difficult times in their past also...the world is a place you either defend what you have or surrender to the stronger.

My point is that it's a 2 way street in both cases...respect has to be earned.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I grew up in a town that had no black people.

I went off to college and made a wade array of friends of many races, colors and nationalities.

So, one day I had a black guy (not a student) say something extremely racially offensive to me, enough so that I had to consider beating his ass but then considered he had a bunch of buddies with him and my friends with me at the time weren't my "throw down" friends but actually my "nerd friends" who would have gotten slaughtered. So, I walked it off and ignored him.

Later in college, my friend, a complete avowed liberal and pacifist got beat by a mob for "walking while white" after the Rodney King verdict. I drove him home from the hospital that night.

Shockingly, neither of these events made me hate black people....they just made me despise uneducated fools out looking for trouble....I knew the type, in my hometown they were called thugs, punks etc. and the only difference was pigmentation.

The world has plenty of a-holes of every color. Really don't know how you get through it without encountering them at one point and time or another.

Anyone that lets their experiences with those individuals color their opinions of entire blocks of people based upon religion, skin color, gender or whatnot is a fool and has my pity because they probably picked up that thinking from family.
This is quite possibly one of the most intelligent posts in this entire thread.
I am reminded of a young black gentleman of my acquaintance way back about 1960 or so, who said to me in the course of a conversation at the skating rink one night "You know, one does not have to be black to be a N****r!" Since that time, I have been forced to accept the fact that he was absolutely right. It is a state of mind, an attitude if you will, more than a color. It is simply a fact that there ARE Ns in the world, and probably always will be. Allowing them to have an effect on your emotions is self-destructive.
It is a parent's job to prepare children for the REAL WORLD. It seems to me this parent failed in his responsibility!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
From the first paragraph - "I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond. It is the moment that every black parent fears: the day their child is called a n-word." (my edit)

Interesting story, but I have to say the only people I've heard use the n-word in the last 25 years or so are other blacks. Most white people wouldn't be caught dead using that word, even amongst themselves. I used it once in 1964 and my father, a Goldwater conservative, slapped me right in the face.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
Funny how you make an all encompassing statement based on 1 case and expect people to believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies