Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
The reason Amish and Mennonite continue and move forward and exist is for 1 reason.

The US constitution
I'm sorry..but you may have to 'splain that viewpoint to me ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know little about them, but what I know is enough to assume that they're decent people overall.

We don't have them out here in the desert.
They generally are and they are polite to a fault almost always..the things that bother most people around here is the way they work those kids..My dad worked me like that from an early age,but it was a bit different time back then..today the world cries "abuse" for working your kids like that..hell,we didn't know any different when I was a kid,you just worked or the old man would say he would "bust your dinner plate"..I liked my dinner plate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I reckon you will not be joining the Amish anytime soon.

I like them. Adds some variety and mystery to this ever-sterile land.
It is funny to see the Amish in their buggies talking on their cell phones.

I guess cell phones are OK because there is no wires.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:52 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is funny to see the Amish in their buggies talking on their cell phones.

I guess cell phones are OK because there is no wires.
I have a done a bit- again just a bit- of reading on the Amish. They are not against technology, but rather seek not to be dominated by it. Also they are very sectarian and new sects are always splintering from other ones. Each sect decides on what technology to employ. Consequently, one will see them use some things we thought were banned.

Even the Amish adjust (slightly) to the modern world.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
I admire the Mennonites even more because of their service to others, and it would be much easier to live as a Mennonite,freer in every way,and the men don't have to wear those nasty untrimmed Rip-Van-Winkle beards!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have a done a bit- again just a bit- of reading on the Amish. They are not against technology, but rather seek not to be dominated by it. Also they are very sectarian and new sects are always splintering from other ones. Each sect decides on what technology to employ. Consequently, one will see them use some things we thought were banned.

Even the Amish adjust (slightly) to the modern world.
if ever anyone was dominated by technology it is we who have a phone constantly stuck to our heads....

Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Ohio has a large Amish population. I've been to Amish country many times. But I digress.... I don't know if any of you that may be familiar with this area or the May 31st, 1985 tornado outbreak that hit eastern, Ohio, western, PA, Canada, and parts of New York state. At any rate, I have a book called Tornado Watch 211, (I'm a bit of a weather buff and fascinated with tornadoes) and in it several references are made about the Amish and their help in cleaning up and helping folks rebuild in places like Atlantic, and Albion, PA that were hard hit. They would come for miles to volunteer not only to help their fellow Amish in the region that were hard hit, but also the "English" that lived in that region. They asked for nothing, they wouldn't accept handouts, and had nothing to do with insurance. While the Amish community is not without their issues, there are things we could learn from them for sure. Especially given the help they provided to everyone in the region hard hit by those tornadoes. They did so without asking for anything in return.
I to, think they give much more then most do....
leave them alone to carry on their daily activities as human beings, this is their journey and they aren't hurting anyone.
When I was younger, heard some very troubling stories about them....there is both good and bad in everything and everyone....
but one thing that really upsets me, is why, those that run puppy mills are not closed down?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
I've seen all these outrage opinion pieces from both sides regarding the 'diversity' and multiculturalism. But let's take a look at a distinct group within the US... the Amish.

To the outside world, they're known as the ones who don't use electricity or drive cars, or any other modern utility.
They ride in cars driven by Yankees (taxis) to get where they need to go (yes, they still have their horses and buggies). They drive tractors, and even drive them to the grocery store (at least they do in our town).

The Amish will use gas powered tools (circular saw, for example), but they were not too proud to ask to borrow my Skill worm drive saw (the saw of choice of most carpenters I know). And when I asked why they were not opposed to a gasoline powered saw, but wouldn't use an electric (except when they borrowed mine), the answer was, "Well, you have to draw a line somewhere!" Really?

Quote:
Many people may consider their lifestyle choice unreasonable in the 21st century, and others may say, 'oh well, to each their own.' And that's my point. That's pretty much the attitude of the Amish themselves. They believe in what they do, but they readily accept that the world around them does not. Amish don't complain to the local government that they are offended by the automated lifestyles of the nearby towns. They never insist that those living around them conform to their ways as not to offend them. In fact, they rarely use the government at all.
Yes they do! They fight to exempt themselves from such things as Obamacare, and social security, which is fine, but don't tell me they don't "use" the government! They use it as much as possible to keep themselves exempt from those laws which they dislike that would otherwise affect them the same as you and I.

Quote:
They don't vote or run for public office. They never make petitions, except when they feel that they are being encroached upon in their world, but they never seek to regulate their values beyond their own property lines. I'm sure they don't practice gay marriage, but they would take no effort to block it outside of their own community, even if they believe it's wrong. NOw, within their community, there is NO diversity. All wear plain clothes with no metal buttons or snaps. They are very homogenous. However, they show no violence or malice to non-adherents to their lifestyle or religion. They are content to engage on honest business with the outside world. They make no demands for accommodation. THey just want to be left alone to do what they do.
Oh, yes, they are "the perfect people."

I'm betting that they have gotten around environmental laws too, where there own land is involved.

Quote:
And yes, I've personally visited some Amish farms in Oklahoma so I've seen and heard from them first-hand.
I worked for some. I had to pick them up in the morning in my car, using MY GAS, drive to the job, and then at the end of the day, I had to cart them around on little errands, instead of taking them straight home, even hauling a bale of hay in the back of my car for them!

I did this for about two months. When I told them I wanted my gas paid for, they said that was "included" in the $7.50/hr they were paying me (this was in 1993 ... even so, that was cheap, but I needed at least a little bit of money coming in so that I did not deplete our savings).

Quote:
Point is, you don't have to be multicultural or diverse in order to respect other people's choices.
Well, the Left doesn't respect my choices. The Left demonstrates their lack of tolerance almost daily, for those of us who are Conservative. We're "anti-science" because we don't believe in the hoax of AGW and we believe in God instead of some silly concept of "evolution of the species!" Tolerance my ass! The Left doesn't exercise tolerance at all.

So, what was your point, again?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
They ride in cars driven by Yankees (taxis) to get where they need to go (yes, they still have their horses and buggies). They drive tractors, and even drive them to the grocery store (at least they do in our town).

The Amish will use gas powered tools (circular saw, for example), but they were not too proud to ask to borrow my Skill worm drive saw (the saw of choice of most carpenters I know). And when I asked why they were not opposed to a gasoline powered saw, but wouldn't use an electric (except when they borrowed mine), the answer was, "Well, you have to draw a line somewhere!" Really?

Yes they do! They fight to exempt themselves from such things as Obamacare, and social security, which is fine, but don't tell me they don't "use" the government! They use it as much as possible to keep themselves exempt from those laws which they dislike that would otherwise affect them the same as you and I.

Oh, yes, they are "the perfect people."

I'm betting that they have gotten around environmental laws too, where there own land is involved.

I worked for some. I had to pick them up in the morning in my car, using MY GAS, drive to the job, and then at the end of the day, I had to cart them around on little errands, instead of taking them straight home, even hauling a bale of hay in the back of my car for them!

I did this for about two months. When I told them I wanted my gas paid for, they said that was "included" in the $7.50/hr they were paying me (this was in 1993 ... even so, that was cheap, but I needed at least a little bit of money coming in so that I did not deplete our savings).

Well, the Left doesn't respect my choices. The Left demonstrates their lack of tolerance almost daily, for those of us who are Conservative. We're "anti-science" because we don't believe in the hoax of AGW and we believe in God instead of some silly concept of "evolution of the species!" Tolerance my ass! The Left doesn't exercise tolerance at all.

So, what was your point, again?
They have gotten around environmental laws.

Who else can let raw sewage run in the ditches???

Our health department has many cases in court with the Amish.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
One lesson we could all learn from the Amish is to work together as a community and to pool or share our talents and wealth for the common good of their communities. After the murderous rampage at the community school at Nickel Mines PA the community raised and rebuilt the school on a new sight. the old site was returned to a farmers fields. The survivors were sent to the best hospitals in SE Pennsylvania and their care paid by the Amish parishes. They even extended their hand to the widow and family of the killer for they bore no ill will. Yes we could learn a lot from the Amish about the true meaning of Christs's teachings.
That's been tried, even here in America (William Bradford). It's called "communism." It doesn't work, because the nature of the human spirit is for freedom and Liberty.

That's a heartwarming story, to be sure. But, it isn't just the Amish who do such things. When Joplin MO was destroyed in the tornadoes that struck a few years ago, the entire community pitched in, as well as people from towns and cities many miles away. I'm sure one can find many such stories.

Christ taught many things, but never forget that the reason for his coming was to announce the "good news" (the gospel) of Salvation by Faith, the forgiveness of sin.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-14-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I to, think they give much more then most do....
leave them alone to carry on their daily activities as human beings, this is their journey and they aren't hurting anyone.
When I was younger, heard some very troubling stories about them....there is both good and bad in everything and everyone....
but one thing that really upsets me, is why, those that run puppy mills are not closed down?

Yeah, the puppy mills are quite disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies