Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,236,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You do need to explain because you are speaking as an authority as to which light bulb technologies are obsolete.

I never said I wanted to purchase any one particular technology, only that I should be able to choose and not have a politician do it for me.

If it is better why was a law required?
And who is this "we" you keep referring to, you do realize that someone may have a different idea of "better" than you do?
We in that statement means the US, we as a country. Again, was that a struggle for you to understand?

Well tough, there is a law that says incandescent bulbs are obsolete and useless technology, move on with your life or start making your own incandescent bulbs.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 PM

169 posts, read 124,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If incandescent bulbs are so important to you, then just make your own. For the rest of us, it is an obsolete technology and we are okay with moving forward.
Why should we be forced to make our own?

Should black people have been forced to create their own public businesses where they could receive purchase goods or services?

Why should the government, through force of law, be able to get between a willing supplier and buyer of incandescent bulbs?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
How are the new bulbs better forms of light?

The sun is a superior form of light. Are you going to support legislation that requires it to shine upon the earth 24 hours a day?
Yes, the sun should shine 24 hours a day.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 PM

33,573 posts, read 37,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Obsolete? How about more efficient than any other form of affordable lighting available to us. Just because your generation only knows of CFLs doesn't mean the rest of us should be forced to use them.

Case in point...I have sensor lights all around my home w/spotlights aimed at points 50-75 yards from the house. Only an incandescent or halogen bulb will light up one of the out buildings and those bulbs are 100w at the least. The fixture at my front door uses a single 200w incandescent bulb which lights as well as the two spotlights my neighbor across the street employs. I want a light bulb to cast fire on an object when lit. There are no fluorescent or LED bulbs available yet which offer the same performance. I doubt they ever will.

Until they do, I will keep ordering my incandescent bulbs online.

I have several 6v flashlight/lanterns...LEDs don't work as advertised unless made by Kree and they are expensive. I prefer tungsten bulbs. Same with my 5 cell Maglite.
I found this especially for you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGcylpjmXI

Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why not go compare them for yourself instead of asking here.
I have done so.

I currently have a "new" bulb in one light socket and an incandescent bulb in another, in the same room.

I prefer the incandescent bulb.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, the sun should shine 24 hours a day.
Are you prepared to translate your conviction into federal law?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Why should we be forced to make our own?

Should black people have been forced to create their own public businesses where they could receive purchase goods or services?

Why should the government, through force of law, be able to get between a willing supplier and buyer of incandescent bulbs?
No one is forcing you to make them, I don't care if you have access to incandescent bulbs or not, they are obsolete and society has moved on from them, why can't you?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Are you prepared to translate your conviction into federal law?
The eye roll meant that I thought your statement for 24 hour sunlight was ridiculous, much like this need to keep incandescent light bulbs around to appease a small group of people afraid of change.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would it bother me if you wanted to pay more. I don't even know you.
The point is that I no longer have the choice to pay more, and you support the law that forces me to pay less for a bulb which I consider to be inferior.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:10 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,043,168 times
Quote:
That is a form of being obsolete, there was a better form of gasoline, thus we switched to that. There is a better form of light, so we have also switched to that. Why there are still people still crying over incandescent bulbs is beyond me.
No, having obvious health implications is not a form of being obsolete. Now you're just trying to spin in order to not admit you made a poor analogy. Leaded gasoline being banned because it is dangerous to people's health is an obvious and necessary utilization of government powers. Banning the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs is an overreach because there is no obvious and necessary reason to ban them. Are they harming anyone? No. Are they harming the environment? No.

If you want to know what a proper analogy would be, try banning riding horses because it's obsolete as a form of transportation. Obvious overreach and an unnecessary use of government power. Can you ever admit when you're wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies