Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
I have done so.

I currently have a "new" bulb in one light socket and an incandescent bulb in another, in the same room.

I prefer the incandescent bulb.
Really, I find that interesting. I love the white light from the LED versus the yellow light from the incandescent. To each their own I guess.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
No, having obvious health implications is not a form of being obsolete. Now you're just trying to spin in order to not admit you made a poor analogy. Leaded gasoline being banned because it is dangerous to people's health is an obvious and necessary utilization of government powers. Banning the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs is an overreach because there is no obvious and necessary reason to ban them. Are they harming anyone? No. Are they harming the environment? No.

If you want to know what a proper analogy would be, it would be the equivalent of banning riding horses because it's obsolete as a form of transportation. Obvious overreach and an unnecessary use of government power. Can you ever admit when you're wrong?
It wouldn't have been banned if there wasn't a better form of gasoline, the analogy stands.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:13 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If incandescent bulbs are so important to you, then just make your own. For the rest of us, it is an obsolete technology and we are okay with moving forward.
why are you so offended that someone might make a choice that differs from your own? Limiting choices typically results in moving backward.
And again if its such a great leap forward why is a law required? When the automobile was introduced, no one thought to ban the horse and buggy.
Quote:
I have never seen people so attached to such useless technology before.
Of course you are being obtuse, its not about the technology, its about having politicians make choices for us.
You do realize that lawmakers are mostly law school graduates with no background in lighting technology?
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Really, I find that interesting. I love the white light from the LED versus the yellow light from the incandescent. To each their own I guess.
if only that were the case. Can you believe some think we need a law?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 PM

169 posts, read 124,193 times
Quote:
No one is forcing you to make them, I don't care if you have access to incandescent bulbs or not, they are obsolete and society has moved on from them, why can't you?
Who says there are obsolete?

The fact is that the incandescent bulbs I have are a limited supply because federal law says that they can no longer be manufactured.

True, no one is forcing me to make them, but self production is the only way I can now legally make the quantity of incandescent bulbs available to me higher, and I would not be able to sell them.

Furthermore, it would cost me more money to manufacture my own bulbs than it would to purchase them from someone who would like to manufacture them in bulk and sell them at a profit.

My question to you is why do you want to short circuit the pipeline between a willing buyer and seller for a product that is in demand?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
It wouldn't have been banned if there wasn't a better form of gasoline, the analogy stands.
No, it doesn't stand. Unleaded gasoline was actually made because of the health implications of leaded gasoline (and ban). Leaded gasoline had to be phased out versus immediately banned only because it would have brought all personal transportation to a standstill otherwise. So, again, leaded gasoline was banned and phased out because of health implications. Unleaded gasoline was created in response to this finding of health implications. Then, the leaded gasoline underwent a gradual phaseout. Your analogy is poor. Nowhere in there does obsolescence enter into the issue. Learn to admit when you're wrong. It's healthy.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
why are you so offended that someone might make a choice that differs from your own? Limiting choices typically results in moving backward.
And again if its such a great leap forward why is a law required? When the automobile was introduced, no one thought to ban the horse and buggy.

Of course you are being obtuse, its not about the technology, its about having politicians make choices for us.
You do realize that lawmakers are mostly law school graduates with no background in lighting technology?
Again, I really don't care. You guys are literally arguing over an obsolete technology. This is like listening to people try to tell me they should be able to use 24K dial up internet still.

I am sure you will survive without incandescent bulbs.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 PM

169 posts, read 124,193 times
Quote:
The eye roll meant that I thought your statement for 24 hour sunlight was ridiculous, much like this need to keep incandescent light bulbs around to appease a small group of people afraid of change.
Actually, we are more numerous than you might think.

If you think that change, in the effect of making criminals of people who manufacture and sell incandescent bulbs, is necessary, please tell us why.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:19 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Again, I really don't care. You guys are literally arguing over an obsolete technology. This is like listening to people try to tell me they should be able to use 24K dial up internet still.

I am sure you will survive without incandescent bulbs.
Thanks for helping make my point, 24k dial up went away without any law required.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
No, it doesn't stand. Unleaded gasoline was actually made because of the health implications of leaded gasoline (and ban). Leaded gasoline had to be phased out versus immediately banned only because it would have brought all personal transportation to a standstill otherwise. So, again, leaded gasoline was banned and phased out because of health implications. Unleaded gasoline was created in response to this finding of health implications. Then, the leaded gasoline underwent a gradual phaseout. Your analogy is poor. Nowhere in there does obsolescence enter into the issue. Learn to admit when you're wrong. It's healthy.
Yeah, that is called obsolete technology, we found how to make unleaded fuel and got rid of leaded fuel. Incandescent bulbs have been made obsolete and the world will survive without them.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
Actually, we are more numerous than you might think.

If you think that change, in the effect of making criminals of people who manufacture and sell incandescent bulbs, is necessary, please tell us why.
No one is trying to make you a criminal, if you think there is money to be made manufacturing in obsolete technology, then have fun with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies