Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM

74 posts, read 72,357 times

Advertisements

Mayor: NYC public schools to close on 2 Muslim holidays

NEW YORK — The New York City public school system is set to observe a pair of Muslim holidays for the first time.
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday that the system will close for Eid al-Adha (eed al-AHD'-hah) for the first time next September.
Summer school will also close for Eid al-Fitr (ayd ahl-FIH'-tur) in 2016.
[MOD CUT/copyright violation]

In a democratic society I understand this decision and see it's value in high population school districts. However, if one religious group is being afforded this consideration, all other religious groups should be afforded the same consideration for their holidays of faith. The counter argument will be, that we will have too many special groups wanting days off to observe holidays and will never have enough days to meet standard school attendance requirements. Then we need to ask why did one group (Muslims) get special consideration. The answer, population volume, lobbying, and enough money thrown at politicians.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-06-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 06:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Perhaps it is a reflection of the community they serve just as some school districts close for the Jewish High Holidays. This addition is not taking away from other established observances. Show me a school district that doesn't align it's spring or winter breaks to include Christmas/Easter even though Hanukah/Passover may not fall within those vacation windows but that's ok. If society wants to say happy holiday then that is their choice I don't see much religious significance to say Merry Christmas while encountering some one who is on a shopping spree Black Friday......

Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps it is a reflection of the community they serve just as some school districts close for the Jewish High Holidays. This addition is not taking away from other established observances. Show me a school district that doesn't align it's spring or winter breaks to include Christmas/Easter even though Hanukah/Passover may not fall within those vacation windows but that's ok. If society wants to say happy holiday then that is their choice I don't see much religious significance to say Merry Christmas while encountering some one who is on a shopping spree Black Friday......
^This. A good example of this is when a high school with at least a substantial Jewish student population plays its Football game on Thursday night instead of Friday night due to Yom Kippur.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-05-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Quote:
However, if one religious group is being afforded this consideration, all other religious groups should be afforded the same consideration for their holidays of faith.
NYC public schools are also closed during Rosh Hashanah and Christmas.

I'll bet the Hindus and Buddhists are pissed.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This. A good example of this is when a high school with at least a substantial Jewish student population plays its Football game on Thursday night instead of Friday night due to Yom Kippur.
??? Yom Kippur can fall on any day, it just depends on the year...

Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
??? Yom Kippur can fall on any day, it just depends on the year...
Yes, Yom Kippur.....For instance, in the Syracuse area, Jamesville-DeWitt and Fayetteville-Manlius, 2 area districts with a substantial Jewish population, played their Varsity Football games for the weekend of 10/3 and 4/14 on Thursday 10/2/14 due to it falling on the weekend of 10/3 and 4/14.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-05-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM

312 posts, read 482,204 times
Why are we Kowtowing to the same group that blew up our towers?

Listen, I'm not talking about middle easterners, I'm talking about Muslims.

Islam is a voluntary choice, no need to Kowtow to them.

"Not all Muslims are bad" and not all nazis physically killed Jews, but they are guilty because they belonged a group that did.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 PM

/\

Yes and as we know the actions of the extremist fringe are always a proper representation of the whole group..

Lets not forget all the good Christians who conducted genocide on the Muslim populations of Bosnia Herzegovina in the name of ethnic cleansing...

Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Let's also here it for the many good "Christian" KKKers in the 1920s who terrorized immigrants, Jews, and Catholics, not to mention Blacks and Latinos, on Saturdays and sat in the front of their churches on Sundays, not just in the South but in many parts of the Midwest and West as well.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintitas View Post
Mayor: NYC public schools to close on 2 Muslim holidays

NEW YORK — The New York City public school system is set to observe a pair of Muslim holidays for the first time.
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday that the system will close for Eid al-Adha (eed al-AHD'-hah) for the first time next September.
Summer school will also close for Eid al-Fitr (ayd ahl-FIH'-tur) in 2016.
They are the first Muslim holidays to be recognized by the nation's largest school system, which educates 1.1 million kids.
De Blasio says the change means "hundreds of thousands" of Muslim families will no longer have to choose between sending their kids to school or observing the holidays.
The mayor made the announcement at a Brooklyn school where more than one-third of students were absent last Eid al-Adha.

We can no longer recognize Christian holidays.
Christmas is no longer called by it's name but replaced with Happy Holidays and other such names. Will they be calling these days by some generic name?

As one posted.

In a democratic society I understand this decision and see it's value in high population school districts. However, if one religious group is being afforded this consideration, all other religious groups should be afforded the same consideration for their holidays of faith. The counter argument will be, that we will have too many special groups wanting days off to observe holidays and will never have enough days to meet standard school attendance requirements. Then we need to ask why did one group (Muslims) get special consideration. The answer, population volume, lobbying, and enough money thrown at politicians.
School ins't closed only for Christmas though. The break that is either called Winter or Christmas break is the space between semesters. That time would have to happen at some point; since Christmas falls in that time, it was an ideal time to put that break.

What other Christians holidays are there? Easter is the only major one I can think of, and it's on a Sunday so schools don't need to close.

So I'm not seeing the issue. The reason people don't want to refer to break as Christmas break is because the break is not happening because of Christmas. It would happen regardless, but perhaps on a different schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies