Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Looks like tech startups are beginning to get corporate treatment from liberals. Why are they targeting Uber now?

This is really interesting. A little dissapointing that people like the above are allowed to vote. I mean its like someone who roots for the local football team. doesn't care if the football team is #@@ little kids, ignores it. . and if anyone says something bad about the OTHER team (nemesis) he believes it right away.

I mean seriously - I watched the stories on Uber. Some exec said some really stupid things in front of tech journalist. The tech journalist printed it. It was really unethical like targeting journalists, digging up dirt, i.e. if a journalist is against uber, take down the journalist.

Uber's CEO didn't fire the guy, but tweetwed a lot of comments about it. . .and uber is pretty ashamed of it. I kind of doubt this exec who said this will keep the job for long.

No where in the above did politics, liberals, or conservatives come into it at all. So the really sad thing here is that is the FIRST thing to come to KknowledgeWhiskey's mind. I would think that there is a certain class of people unable to think rationale about their "team" (Republicans or Democrats) that shouldn't be voting.

I would think that everyone should be able to agree that you should not attack the person (unless they say something really dumb such as the OP here) and debate on the merits of the argument. The way to make your point is not to point out the journalist is sleeping with a senator, its to debate the journalist on the merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Looks like tech startups are beginning to get corporate treatment from liberals. Why are they targeting Uber now?
What?

The CEO of Uber wanted to dig up dirt on ONE reporter who was writing negative things about the company in order to discredit him or her.

He also expressed his desire to do the same thing to any reporter who posted negative reviews of Uber.

Being good a reporter, one of them reported the CEO's comments, whereupon the CEO got angry and said he thought his words were 'off the record'.

It seems like the CEO is the one 'targeting', not the press, and not liberals.

EDIT: I thought it was the CEO, but I guess that was wrong.

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 11-19-2014 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
This is really interesting. A little dissapointing that people like the above are allowed to vote. I mean its like someone who roots for the local football team. doesn't care if the football team is #@@ little kids, ignores it. . and if anyone says something bad about the OTHER team (nemesis) he believes it right away.

I mean seriously - I watched the stories on Uber. Some exec said some really stupid things in front of tech journalist. The tech journalist printed it. It was really unethical like targeting journalists, digging up dirt, i.e. if a journalist is against uber, take down the journalist.

Uber's CEO didn't fire the guy, but tweetwed a lot of comments about it. . .and uber is pretty ashamed of it. I kind of doubt this exec who said this will keep the job for long.

No where in the above did politics, liberals, or conservatives come into it at all. So the really sad thing here is that is the FIRST thing to come to KknowledgeWhiskey's mind. I would think that there is a certain class of people unable to think rationale about their "team" (Republicans or Democrats) that shouldn't be voting.

I would think that everyone should be able to agree that you should not attack the person (unless they say something really dumb such as the OP here) and debate on the merits of the argument. The way to make your point is not to point out the journalist is sleeping with a senator, its to debate the journalist on the merit.
This is unethical, but this is only part of the reason why people are going after Uber.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
This is unethical, but this is only part of the reason why people are going after Uber.
What's the other part?
(I need my first laugh of the day)

Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What's the other part?
(I need my first laugh of the day)
In various cities, prior to this bruhaha, taxi unions have been using influence to have the local government crack down on Uber as somehow illegal. San Fran, Chicago, DC, Seattle, Boston, NYC, etc have all done some form of cease and desist on Uber (and Lyft as well) as essentially a way to protect the taxi monopoly in those cities.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
really? so the LEFT is going after Uber? not taxi and TLC companies??

Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
I... I don't think you understand the demographic and likely political leanings of the people who uses services like Uber. Besides, how is this partisan anyway?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:

yeah, so people are going after Uber and I hate it. I hate the legislation that protects businesses like New York Taxi Drivers or whomever. the "excuse" is that customers can be hurt. . the real reason is these licenses are big money.

Though I don't think any party is saying they want a true free market car service. . not republicans and not conservatives

I think most liberals and conservatives think. . .unless they work for a taxi cab. . that Uber is a good thing.

and I think everyone should agree - what the Uber executive said was unethical, creepy, and wrong.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I... I don't think you understand the demographic and likely political leanings of the people who uses services like Uber. Besides, how is this partisan anyway?
I could be wrong, but I believe it is seen as partisan because the taxi drivers belong to a UNION!

We all know that union members are ALL liberal!
Not one conservative in the entire USA is a member of a UNION of any kind!

Simplistic thinking is the easiest type of thinking!

LOL

Old 11-19-2014, 09:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe it is seen as partisan because the taxi drivers belong to a UNION!

We all know that union members are ALL liberal!
Not one conservative in the entire USA is a member of a UNION of any kind!

Simplistic thinking is the easiest type of thinking!

LOL
Not all taxi drivers belong to a union. There are numerous small communities that are serviced by taxi drivers that don't belong to a union.

And it's understandable that communities want some rules to apply when it comes to commercial transportation. States issue special driving licenses to commercial drivers, because there is a higher standard that has to be met, and special training. States and local communities also require proof of insurance, and there are record-keeping requirements that have to be kept.

Uber is successful because it meets a need, but it also undercuts established businesses who are following the law, by not following the law.

And I believe that it is conservatives who are usually upset about illegally operating businesses putting the community at risk and financially damaging legally operating businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies