Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:29 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Tonight, the announcement of action. Repubs in a tizzy and talking fighting words ... I think it is a fight the Prez and Dems want to happen very much....

Obama to announce go-it-alone plan on immigration Thursday | Reuters
dont faint. I agree.

but not for the reasons you think.

Obama needs to have a fight with the republicans. he wins those things. He needs the Repbulicans to be fighiting mad at him so he can play his victim card. We shall see if the republicans are smart enough to stay out of the bear trap and turn the tables on him.

it will be interesting.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Finn, you've made this comment a few times, and others have tried to help you with this. The orders entered by Reagan and Bush related to existing or soon to be existing laws, not prior EOs they entered. Congress had already passed or were about to pass amnesty bills and their EOs tied up some loose ends. Do a Google search for prior comprehensive immigration reform bills that were passed and you will see.

Congress in this case has not passed or is not even close to passing an amnesty bill. Your references comparing Reagan's and Bush's actions are not even remotely comparable. Do a Google search and you will see the difference. They did not create new law. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
However, history proves that was NOT their response when Reagan and Bush did this exact same thing. They were ok with it then and they are ok with it now. Curiously Republicans were ok with it then, which begs the question why they are not ok with it now.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Somebody needs to DO something about the Immigration problem, Congress obviously refuses, so Obama DOES something. There's a problem with that?
Yeah....it's taught to any student going to school to be a lawyer.

It is known as "Due Process".

Old 11-20-2014, 01:36 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
LOL. Reagan and Bush "furthered congressional purpose" So, as long as you say those words, then it's ok? No, it's the same thing then and now. Why didn't they have Congress do it? Why doesn't Obama? The truth is that it didn't pass Congress then and it's not passing now. They did it with an EO, and that's what Obama is doing now. Same diff.
700 words and you could only find 3 to disagree with? I guess that's admitting defeat.

interesting how you carefully avoided the fact that Reagan and bush's actions followed an act of congress.

Quote:
Condoning it then, and pretending to be outraged about it now shows nothing but partisan BS. It's the very thing that's keeping this country where is it today. Be consistent, stick to your principles, and don't be a hypocrite. That's my advice.
say what?

when and where did I 'condone it then'?

Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Tonight, the announcement of action. Repubs in a tizzy and talking fighting words ... I think it is a fight the Prez and Dems want to happen very much....

Obama to announce go-it-alone plan on immigration Thursday | Reuters
LOL....and a week ago he was talking about working with them....and now a unilateral decision to go it alone. No pretense, no "we tried to work something out".

Frankly, I think it's politically stupid to do it the way he is but whatever they chose to do, I know you would think it's a brilliant move. Then when it costs another 5+ senate seats you'll blame voter turnout or gerrymandering.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
You are being childish.

If you have nothing to say except insult people, then you might as well shut your trap.
You should follow your OWN advise.

The ONLY thing you say is how great Obama is and you find not one bit of fault with ANYTHING he has done during his entire term in office.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Unlawful entry into the United States is an offense that carries both civil and criminal penalties. See INA § 275(a); 8 U.S.C. § 1325(a). The President has the power to pardon both.
I thought before one can be pardoned they have to have been charged and proven guilty in court.

If they have NOT been charged with a crime and convicted of that crime, what are they being pardoned of?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Somebody needs to DO something about the Immigration problem, Congress obviously refuses, so Obama DOES something. There's a problem with that?
How is he doing something by not enforcing the laws and ingoring them?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I thought before one can be pardoned they have to have been charged and proven guilty in court.

If they have NOT been charged with a crime and convicted of that crime, what are they being pardoned of?
You don't remember Ford pardoning Nixon? He hadn't even been charged let alone convicted.

Clinton pardoned Marc Rich (Billionaire Tax evader) who was on the FBI most wanted list and he was indicted but not convicted. (Eric Holder was part of that debacle too.)

P.S. Gave an example from both parties as part of my "equal time for equal rats" initiative.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
5 million more votes for Hillary in 16'
Only if they commit voter fraud. It's not citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies