Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 02:14 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,661 times

Advertisements

I am prior LE myself and fully understand that police severely lack training when it comes to emotional engagement with the public and the domino effect when dealing with people in general- especially certain races and cultures. I am for the need of periodic psychological counseling for police officers as it is difficult for a person to deal with crime and violence all day for so long and not be emotionally altered. I am also for the reviewing of the shooting while unarmed weapon policies as well as providing adequate "emotional force" training for the police officers.

But where does the aggressive nature to go toe to toe with an officer and continuously resist or feeling so empowered by law enforcement when the two collide come from? Is it a "I better get mine before he kills me" train of thought that genetically kicks in based on generations of negative interactions between LE and minorities? Is it social engineering for LE to react with a bit more hostility or have their guard up when dealing with minorities? Is it triggered subconsciously? Is there a half-way point that both sides refuse to meet? Is it even in both sides to change?

Is it human nature and just so happens that the minority groups get the shaggy end of the stick? And is that shaggy end of the stick a result of our own (minorities) wrong doings again, caused by generations of mistreatment and or lack of structure in our culture?

This is not a thread of whether any group in particular is right or wrong. But I am beginning to think that there is an internal thought process that is ingrained and can't fully be explained when it comes to race as well as LE engagement with the public.

Regarding police and race, I have spoken with many from various minority groups, to include blacks whenever these shootings or beatings occur. Many of their points of view stem from continuous mistreatment by police throughout their upbringing or that of their friend’s experiences. Therefore, they express that the reasons for the violent reactions or being uncooperative towards Law Enforcement stem from previous negative encounters and so it becomes a "do or die"/"flight or fight" survival mode as they don’t know if they will ever make it out alive. Essentially, it is out of true fear and they shut down. But at the same do the police officers intuitively recognize this and try to neutralize the person by employing aggression on their part? I also wonder if this internal thinking is genetically conditioned in the minds of humans in general.

If I as a black person today, having been a law enforcement officer, being extremely culturally diversified coming from a Caribbean background, gone to both all black and all white schools, and having lived in 7 different countries, were to be pushed and or provoked by LE over time, would there be that same genetic switch that turns on that I never knew I had? Would it be because I am black, because I am human, or a combination of both?

So we must ask ourselves: if there are any internal struggles, whether genetically or socially conditioned, that causes the tensions between LE and the minority groups that lead to these end results, what measures can be used to reverse this conditioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
I have found the lack of training, etc depends on the department. I live in a place where the neighboring major city is legendary for shooting and killing its citizens. I've watched their officers escalate situations.

The city I live in I have observed some seriously good training, and de-escalation.

The difference when watching them is night and day.

The issue starts with funding training.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:23 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post

So we must ask ourselves: if there are any internal struggles, whether genetically or socially conditioned, that causes the tensions between LE and the minority groups that lead to these end results, what measures can be used to reverse this conditioning?
I don't have to ask myself any such thing!
stop the criminal actions and stop making excuses for committing them!
The only 'struggle' between leos and black minorities is the propensity of black minorities to commit crimes!

I'm sure you will notice that I emphasized black when I said minorities?

Look around, the only minorities that are forever burning and looting when they have an 'opportunity' to create a false narrative of a wrong done to them are .. blacks!

I don't see Asians out burning and looting when they perceive an injustice!?

I don't ever see whites out burning and looting when there is a perceived injustice?
(A black man slitting the throat of two white folks as an example)
Did the white population burn their towns to the ground, rob and loot?

No, it is the blacks who are egged on by the leftists media and so called civil rights activists .. Sharptons and Jacksons et al.
(You can throw obama and Holder in with the antagonists crowd)

I say enough with the excuses for perceived injustices on blacks.

You act like a criminal .. expect to be treated like a criminal!

If Brown had been shot and killed in that convenience store, it would have been justified.
(Assault and Strong arm robbery)

Only difference is a White man did the killing!

I have NEVER had a problem with a leo!

I received an education (I earned my way) and chose a career that I occupied my life with .. never once feeling like some kind of victim of White America!

(I am partially or as I like to say 'half black')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies