Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think parenting, in many cases, has a lot to do with it. Are the parents there, do they show love and attention to their children, do they push them to have good grades?

HOWEVER. .....

A parent can also do everything right and still have a child that goes nuts, does something awful, or becomes a criminal in a moment of a lack of thought.

I bet those boys, some of them, had good parents that raped that girl at the University of Virginia. Yet, they still raped that girl.

Parenting is important, but its not always the root cause.
^^^^^ I agree completely.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Children learn by example. That simple statement says more than anything else. What did the children of Ferguson learn last night?

Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Teaching self control, and the consequences of not practicing it, is a parents job one.
If those boys had good parents, they would not be raping a girl.
The boys were never taught right from wrong and the consequences they face in society for doing so.
My kid has had every opportunity to go down the wrong path and chose not to.

Teaching a kid there are choices in life. Some good and some bad. Once you make a choice, you will live with the outcome for the rest of their lives. Good choices can get you ahead in life and bad choices can bring on a lot of pain.
Bull****.

I knew boys who had wonderful parents, grew up in the best neighborhood, and stole a bunch of 4 wheelers when I was a kid.

Good parents can teach their children all kinds of things, including self control. It doesn't mean you do everything you're taught

Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
I think parenting, in many cases, has a lot to do with it. Are the parents there, do they show love and attention to their children, do they push them to have good grades?

HOWEVER. .....

A parent can also do everything right and still have a child that goes nuts, does something awful, or becomes a criminal in a moment of a lack of thought.

I bet those boys, some of them, had good parents that raped that girl at the University of Virginia. Yet, they still raped that girl.

Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Of course, there are those individuals that no matter what are just mis-wired or something in the head. Nothing will help those types but that are the minority.

...and yes. Sometimes no matter what the parents do the kids can be brats!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Bull****.

I knew boys who had wonderful parents, grew up in the best neighborhood, and stole a bunch of 4 wheelers when I was a kid.

Good parents can teach their children all kinds of things, including self control. It doesn't mean you do everything you're taught

Their parents may have seemed good to you(spoiling your kid is not good parenting), but obviously they left a lot on the table when it came to teaching self control and choices in life. You stated the proof of that.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:

HOWEVER. .....

Exception that proves the rule.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Their parents may have seemed good to you(spoiling your kid is not good parenting), but obviously they left a lot on the table when it came to teaching self control and choices in life. You stated the proof of that.
Bull**** again, your statement doesn't look at logical facts. Look at cases where two children of the same parent go on to completely different lives. Equally loving parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Exception that proves the rule.
No, your statement has nothing to do with what is said.

How does good parents having bad kids prove that bad parents produce bad kids? It doesn't. Plenty of ****ty parents with great kids.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Bull**** again, your statement doesn't look at logical facts. Look at cases where two children of the same parent go on to completely different lives. Equally loving parents.

No, your statement has nothing to do with what is said.

How does good parents having bad kids prove that bad parents produce bad kids? It doesn't. Plenty of ****ty parents with great kids.

The logical fact is, the spoiled kid got noting from a pampered upbringing.
The hardships in life being left out of parenting, make getting your way no matter what, all that matters.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The logical fact is, the spoiled kid got noting from a pampered upbringing.
The hardships in life being left out of parenting, make getting your way no matter what, all that matters.
And whats the definition of spoiling?

Buying your kids nice things?

Dude, there are bad parents, and yes, they can lead to bad kids. But causation isn't always the result.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
How can you quantify a parent as "good" when they raised a bad kid to begin with? There most likely was a cause. If my son had turned out to be a hoodlum I sure wouldn't be screaming that I was a good parent and my child just went bad. I'd be doing some soul-searching to find out what I did wrong......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies