Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:43 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,798,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Asian Americans voted for Democrats and Obama in huge numbers, up to 80 percent, so let them reap with they sow.
Here in California, students of Asian descent would fill the UC system hands down. Funny how "diversity" works in the real world.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,459,140 times
Actually Asian Americans have an unfair advantage in High School which inflates their GPA and test scores so I guess for most part this is part of the "normalization" process. 30 years ago Jewish kids had this advantage.

Back when I went to High School school as a typical white kid, I had my part time job, my Dad owned his own business I helped out at and I had tons of chores around the house. Pretty much after all that was done you squeeze some studying in. Paying tutors, SAT course or even being able to stay late at school for extra help was all out of the question. And of course playing sports and having friends were part of the HS experience.

Many of the Asian coworkers I work with have parents that greatly value school. It is common not to work in HS, attend "cram" school. Yes "cram" school. The guy I work parents every summer sent him to an intense summer camp where they did a compressed version of the next year of school to give him and advantage when it actually counted, he could get paid tutors, he could get SAT classes. Pretty much Dad or Mom whatever he needed to get great grades. Add in many of my Asian friends parents are Doctors and Engineers who can also help with homework unlike the blue collar parents many of my friends had it is no suprise they got better grades.

However, that does not make them smarter, and often they have group think. That can hurt a discussion as they have similar beliefs on things and think inside the box.

Also Diversity is important. A roomfull of Blacks, A roomfull of Whites, A roomfull of Asians is not diverse and discussion would be boring and learning limited.

Harvard is saying that a black kid from projects, a white kid who had a 20 hour a week job during college and played on sports teams with blue collar parents and an Asian rich kid whoses parents are Professors the GPAs are not the same.You have to curve them. A 3.4 CPA from someone living in a project with drugdealers is more impressive than a 3.9 GPA of a Doctors Son in a mansion in Great Neck.

1,250 posts, read 1,491,096 times
It's unfair to non-hispanic, non-Jewish white Americans.

Anytime a minority needs more space in their college, it's the white share that gets cut but more specifically, the non-hispanic, non-Jewish white share.

Jewish students need to check their Semitic privilege and voluntarily drop out.

9,982 posts, read 13,777,779 times
This topics where I show that I am not a full-on liberal, though most think I am.

I have a hard time with the logic of blaming minority underachievement on racism, when it is obvious that Asian immigrants succeed despute having to deal with racism, as did Jewish people a century ago. But both groups outperform the white population as whole in academics and income. We cannot even utter the obvious reason, which national and global academic and iq tests have demonstrated repeatedly and overwhelmingly for a century, so we have to blame it on racism. The white man's guilt is always the liberal answer for obvious group differences in intellectual talent. I find that illogic vexing. Affirmative action is intended to be kind-hearted, but is racist on its face.

With the Asians, it is partly raw intellectual talent, but just as important, it is work ethic and culture. They provide a model that is open to everyone.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 PM

13,995 posts, read 5,650,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Actually Asian Americans have an unfair advantage in High School which inflates their GPA and test scores so I guess for most part this is part of the "normalization" process. 30 years ago Jewish kids had this advantage.

Back when I went to High School school as a typical white kid, I had my part time job, my Dad owned his own business I helped out at and I had tons of chores around the house. Pretty much after all that was done you squeeze some studying in. Paying tutors, SAT course or even being able to stay late at school for extra help was all out of the question. And of course playing sports and having friends were part of the HS experience.

Many of the Asian coworkers I work with have parents that greatly value school. It is common not to work in HS, attend "cram" school. Yes "cram" school. The guy I work parents every summer sent him to an intense summer camp where they did a compressed version of the next year of school to give him and advantage when it actually counted, he could get paid tutors, he could get SAT classes. Pretty much Dad or Mom whatever he needed to get great grades. Add in many of my Asian friends parents are Doctors and Engineers who can also help with homework unlike the blue collar parents many of my friends had it is no suprise they got better grades.

However, that does not make them smarter, and often they have group think. That can hurt a discussion as they have similar beliefs on things and think inside the box.

Also Diversity is important. A roomfull of Blacks, A roomfull of Whites, A roomfull of Asians is not diverse and discussion would be boring and learning limited.

Harvard is saying that a black kid from projects, a white kid who had a 20 hour a week job during college and played on sports teams with blue collar parents and an Asian rich kid whoses parents are Professors the GPAs are not the same.You have to curve them. A 3.4 CPA from someone living in a project with drugdealers is more impressive than a 3.9 GPA of a Doctors Son in a mansion in Great Neck.
So freaking racist, this entire post.

All blacks come from the projects?
All whites have blue collar parents and must have jobs as teenagers?

Only truthful thing in your whole post is:
Quote:
Many of the Asian coworkers I work with have parents that greatly value school.
Which means they should be discriminated against when they apply for college, because your parents didn't?

And the college entrance exams are the GPA equalizer. If you got a 3.5 at Impossibly Hard HS, and someone else got a 3.9 at You Get Points For Having A Pulse Academy, the SAT/ACT will quickly sort out who has the more legit academic qualifications for their school. But if your parents don't value academics as much as other parents, and you get a B average your parents are cool with, why should the kid who got straight A's their whole life be discriminated against? Oh, that's right, you are one of the racists that believes skin color determines diversity. Not diversity of thought, interests, or life experience, but skin color, since as all good racists know, every black person has the exact same life, and every white person has the exact same life, and so on and so on.

Do you see the twisted logic of collectivism's rot and decay in your own post? Because Asian parents value education, and go to great lengths to help their children succeed academically...those kids should be penalized so that other kids with parents who don't GAFF about school can attend top shelf universities they are probably not qualified to attend in the first freaking place. That's your logic. A black kid from the projects should take the slot of an Asian kid with a 4.0 and 1600 SAT SOLELY because of race and living in the projects, neither of which has bupkus to do with academics, and this is fine because that Asian had an unfair advantage - parents who care.

So in your worldview (and this is very common to collectivism btw), everyone gets to suffer because of their parents. If your parents suck, well, then you suffer naturally. And if your parents are awesome, well then government and universities should penalize you for that and inflict the suffering you missed out on. Basically, we should legislate it until everyone is equally miserable, because how dare any parents care about their kids' educations and give them an unfair advantage when competing with kids whose parents don't really freaking care?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
They provide a model that is open to everyone.
Yep, but the whining, bleating masses of collectivism would like you to believe that the model they provide is unfair because caring about your children's success is now considered an unfair advantage.

That's how far our cultural rot goes - now, giving a crap about your kids is unfair, and if you do care, they'll be penalized later for it.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:38 PM

39,266 posts, read 27,666,911 times
We are only equal if we are ALL at the bottom. That is the true liberal goal.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
pretty much

Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM

39,266 posts, read 27,666,911 times
Don't blame someone else for your lack of success. Society and others don't owe you anything if you can't hack it.

We are German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian, I will never complain if I cannot achieve my goal, I just need to try harder. America is a great country because law is the king. Law is the ONLY thing designed to protect people from all backgrounds. I am not sure if we are still a nation of law, but I am still hopeful.

People don't like Bill Oreilly because O'reilly speaks the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeEIZswvRVU

Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,777,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Pffft....yeah, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies