Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:31 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
But when people complain about stores being open on Thanksgiving, a day you're supposed to spend with loved ones, they say "too bad, they should get another job"?

Any thoughts on this? is it purely a religious stance?
CFA has followed their own convictions and is successful. We always appreciate successful deviance from mainstream thought as innovators who 'did it my way'. Even Frank sang about doing it his way.

It is comforting to know that a day of rest can be incorporated into business and be successful doing it.

CFA had become a media underdog and people generally love an underdog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Study history. I worked for Thrifty Drugs in the 70's. Yep we were open on Christmas. Thanksgiving, and New Years Day, as well as every other recognized holiday. As were all the convenience stores. As were other direct competitors. I dont remember there being a Walmart back then.
where exactly would someone find this in a history book?

Old 11-25-2014, 03:29 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I'm an atheist, but if it's Christianity that motivates Chick-Fil-A to give their workers Sundays off, then I support them for it. It's great when business leaders believe in something other than money.
agree

wish ALL retailers felt that way

Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Ar one rime or other I have worked every holiday. All of them.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
I get so pissed when I feel like a Chick-Fil-A , then I realize it's Sunday I'd join the Gays and Protest, but then I see Rainbow stickers on cars in the Chick-Fil-A drive in all the time.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:40 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Here's a thought, a lot of folks WANT to work on Thanksgiving for the extra money.
Agree. Everyone does not celebrate these holidays, and some would be glad to work to get out of having to deal with them.

They have become too stressful and we have scaled back so that if someone in the family has to work or chooses to work it's fine. We'll come by and visit them or they can come over later or visit the next day, whatever. Everyone doesn't have to be doing the same thing at the same time. It brings out the worst in people when you feel you have to deal with holidays you may not even enjoy or believe in, and go through all the stresses that seem to be required. Just a regular working day would be welcome for some. Then some people don't celebrate those Big holidays at all so it means nothing for them to work. Love those Chinese restaurants and the places that are open on Thanksgiving day for those who don't or can't cook dinner.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Who says this? I don't care they are closed on Sundays and I find it a travesty stores are open on Thanksgiving. No one should have to work on a holiday so people can buy more material junk they don't need in the first place. Can it really not wait until Friday morning? I am not religious at all.
You might not be religious, but you apparently think some of your beliefs should be forced on other people via the machinery of the state; that tells me all I need to know.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Agree. Everyone does not celebrate these holidays, and some would be glad to work to get out of having to deal with them.

They have become too stressful and we have scaled back so that if someone in the family has to work or chooses to work it's fine. We'll come by and visit them or they can come over later or visit the next day, whatever. Everyone doesn't have to be doing the same thing at the same time. It brings out the worst in people when you feel you have to deal with holidays you may not even enjoy or believe in, and go through all the stresses that seem to be required. Just a regular working day would be welcome for some. Then some people don't celebrate those Big holidays at all so it means nothing for them to work. Love those Chinese restaurants and the places that are open on Thanksgiving day for those who don't or can't cook dinner.
Lots of Chinese restaurants are also open on Christmas day.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I have made a lot of money working thanksgiving
I took care of sick elderly people
Who is more worthy of my love????????

do I detect attitude and somebody that wants a paid holiday?
Didn't I see you on another thread yesterday with the same whine?
Should I get u some cheese to go with it?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Two principles most Americans uphold: freedom of religion, free enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies