Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 04:55 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
You can't possibly think that all people across the board have the same opportunities. I'm not even talking race but random circumstances. It's an uphill climb for some while for others it is more of a stroll on a plateau.

It is quite possible to recognize the part that the past plays while accepting that things need to change in the present and future. Being aware of the past and then digging in your heels to modify behaviors despite the past seems like a good way for even more people to move forward, as so many already have.

Look up the mindset of those who are actually in gangs and you see a totally different way of thinking. It kind of reminds me of documentaries on Nazis where behavior that is not palatable to the average person becomes accepted behavior when you're trying to fit in with your new "family". Normally the most vulnerable are the ones who are so easily swayed to do things which so strongly go against the core values of the average people around them.
Yes, I do believe that people across the board have the same opportunities. You say it is an uphill climb for some while for others it is more of a stroll. How about the child born in poverty who grows up to become a physician? Then we have a counter part the one born of means that meets the same goal.

The child of the physician has a good chance now of being the same or better than his, once poor, father before him, or the child chooses for whatever reason a different path that leads him to prison instead. Whose fault is that? It must be the fault of society or the fault of the father. The responsibility never resides with the person who should own it, but instead blame is always cast on others.

Along side the person in poverty that becomes a physician we have an ivy league that has to perhaps study harder to reach the same goal as the one born into poverty. However, because he is of money, no one seems to notice the hardship that one faced in order to reach the same goal.

If the poor man did not have the same opportunity as the rich man, he would never be (only as an example) a physician. For some it won't matter how much money they are born into, they just won't possess the will to succeed.

Some people focus on what they don't have instead of realizing the challenges as all things can be over come given the right amount of tenacity. The point being, opportunities are there for all, one just needs to have the sight in which to see them. Also, just because a person 'seems' to achieve great things with ease, does not mean they too, did not face struggles a long the way.

Just because a person can not recognize an opportunity, doesn't mean it isn't their for them. And just because a person seems to have an easy time, does not mean, life is made easy for them either.

Now let's look at change. How does change happen and what types of changes are we looking to create? Some one once said and I don't know who to give this credit to, 'in order to have a more ethical and moral government, you have to raise one'. Whoop, there it is.

People talk about the government and politicians as if they are aliens brought here from another planet. Like they are some how not responsible for the decisions made concerning the laws that govern this land. If you want change people, you're going to have to raise it. So...how does change happen and what kind of change do we wish to create? Society is answering that question with each social evolutionary era.

However, as I stated above the child born of the physician who can give to the child opportunities, yet that child chooses a different path. In knowing this, know there are some things we have no control over and we have to look within ourselves to over come the realities of life.

The gangs are the children of society past, present and future. They are born out of the indifference society has for their own.

Yes, T_DC, I have read some about the gangs and it was either the Crips or the Bloods but one formed out of the Vietnam era where soldiers returning home were spat on and rejected by society. Not all gangs are from the black community and gangs are not a recent development, but one that goes back over 100 years.

What does that say about our social changes? We are the same now as we've always been, blaming others for our own short sightedness and individual failings and when it raises up as these gangs have done...change needs to happen.

My personal favorite, it's Obama's fault. He single-handedly brought about the racial divide, worse than it has ever been in the past. When in all reality, one man can not influence, can not brainwash a nation of sound social structure.

We know what to do, we just don't want to focus our attention on getting it done, change, it's hard work and not every body wants to join, that gang.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Until those issues are addressed, the Black community as a whole won't improve. Blacks have to solve it themselves because you can't expect the elites who created the systematic oppression to solve the problem because it would've been solved decades ago. The first thing to do is leave the Democratic Party and stop being so reliant on them.
You said in the post prior to this that the white person is responsible for the black community issues. It is of your belief that slavery, led the people to not only be oppressed but stay that way, yes?

Did you know that the first slaves (yes you can look this up, bbc did a documentary) in recorded history were British? Last I checked most Brits are, white.

Would you say that Great Britain is oppressed? If not, why? Certainly the pirates put them through hell, so...what happened that they did not stay....oppressed? See the logic?

Now you say it is dependency on a political party...wow. People are going to be what they want to be. There isn't any thing else, there isn't any thing else to blame; there are no other factors that can be made in to just knowing an individual, must raise above their raising and stop it with the finger pointing already. It is getting old and tiring.

ps: btw, there are flourishing black folks that have made money and have made something of themselves they can be proud of...what's wrong with that picture?

Old 12-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
There are more slaves today than at any point in history.
The tea pickers sold into slavery | Global development | The Guardian

The Price of Hope: Looking to Leave Italy - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 12-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Race relations are the best they have ever been in this country."
Absolutely, go out and look at mixed groups and couples. They are at an all time high. The news media makes no money off of Harmony.

"The media should be providing facts, not opinions. It is disgusting because they incited all of this."

Absolutely. People getting along isn't news worthy. White cops killing unarmed blacks or the black guy that was raping and killing clollege age white girls is what sales. The News media makes Billions off of this type of news.
If people didn't want to read it, they couldn't make money off of it.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The fact that we're not killing each other en masse doesn't equate to good relations.
Well, everything the media puts out doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's only racially divided if you're a racist who's mad that a black man is President, or if you watch Fox "News" and believe that President Obama is racist against white people.

In my real world, the races mix freely and without issue.
It's racist in the media more than anywhere else.

Like you, I personally have never had a problem or seen a problem of racism.

I have a good friend at work who is black and I've been fortunate to have his opinions on things that I completely disagree with and have been educated a few times.

Like the Katrina fiasco. He said on day 1 that Bush would not help New Orleans. I thought he was nuts but 5 days later when there was no help he just smiled at me. Seems their "paranoia" is right on the money some times. Live and learn.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's racist in the media more than anywhere else.

Like you, I personally have never had a problem or seen a problem of racism.

I have a good friend at work who is black and I've been fortunate to have his opinions on things that I completely disagree with and have been educated a few times.

Like the Katrina fiasco. He said on day 1 that Bush would not help New Orleans. I thought he was nuts but 5 days later when there was no help he just smiled at me. Seems their "paranoia" is right on the money some times. Live and learn.

OK, this ain't a Katrina thread,
but Gov. Blanco refused Federal aid.
Bush took the heat for the massive
failure on the state and local level.
I blame Blanco and Nagin.
(I was there and lost my house.)

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If people didn't want to read it, they couldn't make money off of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Blood always sells. One reason no one ever hears about the Blacks who are working hard, trying to live their lives without problem.
Yep, good will and racial harmony don't sell. Give me the news about a Black man raping and killing white College girls or a white cop shooting a black man and I'll give you front page news

Old 12-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I'm 53 and I'm thinking that sooner or later people will get tired of it and move forward to better pursuits to better their lives.

America hasn't seen a real leader in like forever. I'm thinking Martin Luther King types are of the past and we no longer trust our government so now what? We must learn to lead ourselves and that is going to take time in order to do that. Eventually though we will do what we can and find prosperity by pursuing more lucrative ideas and this will be but a made mention in the history books.
The truth is, people leading themselves might be a tall order for some. It isn't unreasonable. However, it is a tall order for many people. I'm talking about people who have no sense of personal responsibility.

1) There are those who are used to others being responsible for them all of the time.
2) There are those who are used to not having any kind of direction, or any sense of purpose in their lives.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, good will and racial harmony don't sell. Give me the news about a Black man raping and killing white College girls or a white cop shooting a black man and I'll give you front page news
And it brings me to this question. We all know good news rarely sells(unless it has something to do with some criminal getting captured or Team USA winning a soccer game). The question is this. Why aren't more people interested in seeing good news. Why does blood sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies