Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
At the end of the day, you can't say only Democrats have used race.

In ethnic pandering Obama can't top Reagan
Note that this column provides no evidence of a president or any of his supporters saying anything explicitly racial. He just talks about "buzz words," i.e., his own interpretation of what he thinks someone REALLY meant when they said something. Contrast that with people talking openly about racial/ethnic replacement of white people in this country as a positive thing, which this author then proceeds to do. So this guy went ahead and undermined his own point.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:59 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Racism is a sad self destructive mental illness that as always been around.

Love patience and understanding is the only cure.
If only Michael Brown and his advocates thought this way, I'd have more hope for modern society.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:12 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
For as much cynicism as I've gained over the years, I can find people of different races getting along. I've seen it, and lived it. My sister dating a White guy won't make the news. Me breaking bread with Turkish people, Hispanic people and White Americans won't make the news. Racial strife will always make the news. People of different races getting along almost never makes the news.
"I can find people of different races getting along"

We really get along quite well compared to many societies- Millions killed under Mao, Stalin, Hitler. Genocide in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, Somalia. There is none of that here. We always like the think we are the worst or best at everything. Pandering to the lowest common denominator, and self loathing has become a sport in the US.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:27 PM

208 posts, read 236,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
..I've never seen the country this torn apart by race...
Not a sociologist or cultural anthropologist but I'm not aware of any other society that has made racial integration a normative goal. Babylon perhaps?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
This shows that racial division has always been there. I do not believe it is worse today than before. The difference between today and back then is technology allows for hearing about it 24/7.

Imagine if twitter, facebook, and 24 hour news existed back then.
Absolutely true. People spew things on facebook and twitter that I cannot believe. I remember being so happy about reuniting with some old friends in Alabama on Facebook; we were enjoying getting caught up on our lives, kids . . . . and then the election. WOW. I could not believe the things I was seeing; it was like 1960's Alabama and like I had never left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Obama isn't a black president. He is just as much white as he is black.
Your point?

Quote:
The riots in Ferguson is showing something else. The peaceful protesters who aren't rioting aren't getting much attention at all. It shows something else that I've pointed out, but does not get discussed much, unless it's from anger. One of the biggest ways Blacks get any kind of attention is through violence/rioting/ruinous behavior. Black people peacefully protesting Black-on-Black violence doesn't much attention. Riots, sadly, get far more attention.
This is true not just for blacks. Remember the 'peace' protests of the sixties? Against the Vietnam war? Kent state?

Violence sells. Other countries seem to have more tolerance for 'violent' protests because that IS how things change. Unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I could talk about that all day but I'll keep it simple. They make Blacks believe that their party has their best interest when in reality it doesn't. Liberal Democrats don't want to address the actual issues in the Black community but rather focus on race baiting issues like White-on-Black crime while basically ignoring Black-on-Black crime. They keep dependent on the government with programs like welfare, which helps destroy the Black community.

It starts with the family, which is something that the democratic party has tried to destroy.

They don't even have to join the Republican party. Just leave the Democratic plantation at the very least. Before they can even join another political party they must first take off the mental chains and shackles that the liberal Democrats have put on them.
What is this tripe you spout? I guess only Black people avail themselves of Welfare and food stamps? Take a trip down rural West Virginia, my friend.

Even Colin Powel references a 'dark underbelly' of racism within a portion of the Republican party. I suggest the republicans divorce themselves completely from the tea party (which I think he is referencing) IF you ever want another black vote or even any young people votes.

Unfortunately for the Repubs, young people (both white and black) do see your party as a party of racists, backward thinking, corporate butt kissers. They will NEVER vote for your party as it now stands.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Absolutely true. People spew things on facebook and twitter that I cannot believe. I remember being so happy about reuniting with some old friends in Alabama on Facebook; we were enjoying getting caught up on our lives, kids . . . . and then the election. WOW. I could not believe the things I was seeing; it was like 1960's Alabama and like I had never left.
I felt the same way. In many ways, I'm glad facebook exists because it has reunited me with some people I knew in earlier days. However, like you, when the elections came, it was a shock. And some of the things I heard came from people I never once thought would say certain things. After the 2012 election, I deleted a few people due to posts due of a racial nature.

In some ways, the 1960s mentality you speak of never really left some people, and has been passed down to some of the young people of today.

And one thing I could never understand is this. On facebook, people can see one's picture. Not as much anonymity on facebook as one would think, or some people really don't care. There is more anonymity on city-data than on facebook. A person might be careful to watch what they post. People have been fired from jobs and even murdered over things posted on facebook.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
This is true not just for blacks. Remember the 'peace' protests of the sixties? Against the Vietnam war? Kent state?

Violence sells. Other countries seem to have more tolerance for 'violent' protests because that IS how things change. Unfortunately.
Violence gets alot of people's attention. I hate to say this. Dr. King would not have gotten as much attention as he did when it came to Birmingham, had it not been for the violent reaction from people who hated him and his cause. He led a peaceful march. However, it took people getting bitten by dogs, beaten by police officers, sprayed with water cannons for the nation to get an idea of what went on.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:44 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"I can find people of different races getting along"

We really get along quite well compared to many societies- Millions killed under Mao, Stalin, Hitler. Genocide in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, Somalia. There is none of that here. We always like the think we are the worst or best at everything. Pandering to the lowest common denominator, and self loathing has become a sport in the US.
The fact that we're not killing each other en masse doesn't equate to good relations.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:00 AM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The fact that we're not killing each other en masse doesn't equate to good relations.
Within the people I associate with and work with it's better than ever. By comparison with the examples I listed, we get along better than most people. We are no Rwanda or Russia. What we have now is driven by race baiters and the media.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Blacks still had to deal with Jim Crow and racial segregation until the 1960's. So it's not like it was so long ago. It's not like these problems came out of nowhere. I get so annoyed when people try and downplay racism in this country. You can't expect people who have been oppressed for centuries to come out unscathed as if nothing happen. There's going to be some psychological and emotional damage done to oppressed people as a result of that. Someone who has been raped and abused for years is going to have psychological damage as a result of it. I've said the numerous times that it doesn't mean that Blacks can't try and fix the problem themselves but there's no denying that most of these issues that exist in the Black community today were caused by White people. Yeah it's harsh to say but it's certainly the truth.
omg

these thugs in ferguson for example did not experience slavery, weren't even born yet in the 60's. so how did slavery affect them? jim crow laws? that rape comparison is terrible and makes no sense. you have to be alive to be raped these morons in ferguson weren't alive in the 1800's or even through the jim crow days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies