Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

green-mariner, Thanks, but having lived near Nashville for 17 years, which IMO was the spiritual center of the movement, it wasn't hard to recognize how much had changed (Thank God). Not that Tn was 100% behind them and w/o problems, but generally, IMO, Nashville is consistently the most tolerant Southern city. The university kids who participated did more good for this nation than 99.99% of Americans.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:04 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
green-mariner, Thanks, but having lived near Nashville for 17 years, which IMO was the spiritual center of the movement, it wasn't hard to recognize how much had changed (Thank God). Not that Tn was 100% behind them and w/o problems, but generally, IMO, Nashville is consistently the most tolerant Southern city. The university kids who participated did more good for this nation than 99.99% of Americans.
I've been to Tennessee a few times. The first time was to Nashville. After that, it was western Tennessee and eastern Tennessee. So far, Nashville is the #1 place in TN where I feel the most comfortable going to. I have a friend who moved up there, and he seems to like it alot.

Most people don't know that Fisk University is in Nashville, or that Julian Bond was born there.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:28 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The election of a black president was just too much for most racists to bear: they've been peeing their pants for six years now.

Police brutality and discrimination towards blacks has always existed. Discrimination and open racism was much worse earlier in U.S. history, e.g. blacks being declared 3/5s of a person, slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow, segregated schools, segregated restaurants, running blacks out of town.

At least the days of all-white juries are over----that's one improvement.
and we all remember the OJ verdict.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:04 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,644 times
Three comments:

1. I'm 27. It SEEMS as though the country is racially divided if you track the media, and go on forums where people on both sides spout off ignorant racist comments about one another. However, if you get off the computer and interact with people in person, most people still treat other respectfully and get along fine. I'm in graduate school, I'm a mother, and I work. My son is 3 he goes to a pre-school that is mostly white in a lily white suburb in Philadephia. The parents and teachers and staff and his classmates welcome him with open arms. They are nice to me and kind. AT school, my classes are a bit more diverse but everyone is welcoming of the other and we have discussions about race and other things often and never does it feel like there is tension, ignorance or hate. In my workplace I am the ONLY black woman there, again I get nothing but positive interactions with my co-workers.
2. None of the black people I know of--and this is of various socio-economic backgrounds, talk about the Ferguson issue at all. Even the black "thugs" that I know(within family and as friends) speak about it all. Some might have felt some type of way about it, but they have LIVES and most are trying to pay bills, work, and figure out what their going to be doing this winter for Christmas and such. Things like race don't preoccupy their minds that much to the point where they feel the need to verbalize their hatred of whitey. And I imagine that for whites and other groups it's probably similar.
3. Love Love Love Nashville. I'm going to move back. Very tolerant city. Everyone kind. People get along. Never had a bad experience as a black person. Felt safe. Even in the Nashville parts of town that were shady didn't fear for my life. I have to say that amongst all the places I lived it was in fact the SOUTH that seemed to be the most tolerant in the city of Nashville. Plus it's a beautiful city and who doesn't love Vanderbilt and how much they've spruced the city up.

Overall NO, I don't think race relations are worse, unless your only focused on the media and forums, and older generations that still believe that black people are like this or whites or like that. I'd say even that might be getting better too(for some at least).

Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
and we all remember the OJ verdict.
And there are other things Blacks remember throughout history. There is division and anger on BOTH sides and this has been going on for a long time. If one party is to take responsibility, so should the other party.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Obama isn't a black president. He is just as much white as he is black.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations;37424439[B
]Before Obama was elected, Limbaugh stated that race relations would deteriorate under Obama[/b]. Have you ever seen the country so racially divided?

I wasn't alive in the 60s and don't remember the Rodney King riots, but I've never seen the country this torn apart by race, and I think Ferguson finally blew the lid off the pressure cooker.

It's been a steady drumbeat of racial issues the last few years. The Skip Gates arrest outside his home a couple years back, Trayvon Martin, and now Ferguson. In each one of those cases, the media and the "advocates" seem to want to drum things up and get people upset. It's certainly worked.

Do you think race relations are going to continue to deteriorate? I'd say this is the worst it's been since the 60s.
That is what you call a "self fulfilling prophecy" born from "projecting". Rush knew that he and those like him had a big problem with a black democrat becoming president. In other words, he already felt more divided from the typical white male supremacy that had traditionally defined the presidency.

Aside from that, blacks and whites largely live segregated from one and other in most parts the country and most black kids attend schools where they are the majority. Black poverty is still 3 times the rate of white poverty. Black unemployment is still twice the rate of white unemployment. Black wealth is still 10 times less than white wealth. These are the true sources of racial division in America. Most racial issues would largely go away if socioeconomic inequality went away.

I think ultimately things are not going to "heal" as long as socioeconomic inequality is so egregious. These explosions are not coming from middle class black communities, but rather, poor black communities. While some segments of the black population show progress, other segments are becoming trapped in poverty by changing economics and structural unemployment.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Before Obama was elected, Limbaugh stated that race relations would deteriorate under Obama. Have you ever seen the country so racially divided?

I wasn't alive in the 60s and don't remember the Rodney King riots, but I've never seen the country this torn apart by race, and I think Ferguson finally blew the lid off the pressure cooker.

It's been a steady drumbeat of racial issues the last few years. The Skip Gates arrest outside his home a couple years back, Trayvon Martin, and now Ferguson. In each one of those cases, the media and the "advocates" seem to want to drum things up and get people upset. It's certainly worked.

Do you think race relations are going to continue to deteriorate? I'd say this is the worst it's been since the 60s.
Black Arrogance is the problem. Never in history has the underclass been catered to at the expense of the productive class. Reap what you sow.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:05 PM

The riots in Ferguson is showing something else. The peaceful protesters who aren't rioting aren't getting much attention at all. It shows something else that I've pointed out, but does not get discussed much, unless it's from anger. One of the biggest ways Blacks get any kind of attention is through violence/rioting/ruinous behavior. Black people peacefully protesting Black-on-Black violence doesn't much attention. Riots, sadly, get far more attention.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,597,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
And another asinine comment. ^^^ Time to wake up, dude.
What else do Dems have to run on besides, "they're gonna put ya'all back in chains"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxUxO820PE

Racial animosity is leg one of the Dem trinity of evil (aka their party platform)

Expanding class warfare is second.

Creating sexual discrimination is third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies