Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 09:11 AM

73,181 posts, read 62,867,835 times

Advertisements

I followed some of the Super Bowl this year. One thing I found via facebook was how divided it was based on race. From the statuses I saw, most Whites rooted for the Broncos and nearly all of the Blacks posting about it rooted for the Seahawks. It was quite a shock for me. When I look back on it, I realize I would have not known about it without facebook.

The internet merely reflects what was always there in the first place.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:18 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
^^Why do you think that is? Both cities are pretty white. Seattle is one of the whitest in the country.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,178,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Why do you think that is? Both cities are pretty white. Seattle is one of the whitest in the country.
It should be obvious. The Seahawks have a Black quarterback and have a more noticeably Black roster. The Broncos have a White quarterback with many of their star players being White.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:55 AM

8,634 posts, read 13,035,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I followed some of the Super Bowl this year. One thing I found via facebook was how divided it was based on race. From the statuses I saw, most Whites rooted for the Broncos and nearly all of the Blacks posting about it rooted for the Seahawks. It was quite a shock for me. When I look back on it, I realize I would have not known about it without facebook.

The internet merely reflects what was always there in the first place.
That doesn't surprise me. People are more likely to show how they really feel on the internet than in real life. In everyday life people are much more likely to hide their true opinions out of fear of confrontation or ridicule. At least on the internet, people don't have to be as politically correct. What the internet shows is that this country is still very racially divided. I find it funny when people say things like "There are more racist on the internet than in real life". No, it's that they hide their racism in everyday life and tell how they really feel when their on the internet.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:01 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,012,520 times
Racism is a sad self destructive mental illness that as always been around.

Love patience and understanding is the only cure.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times
Anyone thinking it is worse now should be studying the early to mid 20th century. Study the Freedom Rides, Bull Connors, Medger Evers, etc.

At 28, the OP has lived through the era with the best race relations of my life..which has been decades longer so far. It takes decades prior to his 1990s based childhood to put 2014 into context.

Now today we're not shy about discussing it. Earlier decades, we tried to keep dirty laundry hidden, as that protected the racists. How was that better?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, Seattle is around 66% White. Denver is 51% White, and close to 30% Hispanic. I asked my mother about it, and she said it might have to do with Seattle having a Black quarterback.

The odd part is this. Most of the people posting about the Super Bowl are from Georgia. Pretty much most have no connection to Colorado or Washington.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It should be obvious. The Seahawks have a Black quarterback and have a more noticeably Black roster. The Broncos have a White quarterback with many of their star players being White.
It wasn't that obvious to me. I never considered that until I asked my mother, who happened to be watching it. I was looking at facebook to see who was rooting for who. The only White people I saw rooting for the Seahawks included:

-A woman who is actually from Seattle, born and raised.
-A woman whose husband is from the state of Washington

The thing is, I live in Georgia, and most of the people doing the posting were from Georgia or other parts of the South. The two White persons who rooted for the Seahawks, they were not from the South. I also notice that most who rooted for the Broncos were also conservatives. Ironic considering Colorado is more liberal than Georgia.

I am Black, and I did root for the Seahawks. However, Seattle having a Black quarterback was not the factor for me. I used to live in the Seattle area. For that very reason, I rooted for the Seahawks. I wasn't going to watch the Super Bowl at all because I normally don't follow NFL. However, since a Seattle sports team was in it, I wanted to see it. Look at my username, green_mariner. Think about that for a moment.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Racism is a sad self destructive mental illness that as always been around.

Love patience and understanding is the only cure.
It is better to be loving. However, being hateful and self-destructive is sadly easier.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Anyone thinking it is worse now should be studying the early to mid 20th century. Study the Freedom Rides, Bull Connors, Medger Evers, etc.

At 28, the OP has lived through the era with the best race relations of my life..which has been decades longer so far. It takes decades prior to his 1990s based childhood to put 2014 into context.

Now today we're not shy about discussing it. Earlier decades, we tried to keep dirty laundry hidden, as that protected the racists. How was that better?
Thank you for putting this into perspective. I've posted links to articles showing that race relations were quite bad in the old days. Sadly, few people will actually look at it.

Anyone arguing that we have it worse than ever today, said persons need to read about the Freedom Rides, Bull Connor, Medgar Evers,etc. Or even better, read about Jim Crow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies