Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 AM

11,356 posts, read 16,719,851 times

Advertisements

No outrage over this as I'm figuring that it's a the same color on both sides.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

CLEVELAND – The family of a 12-year-old boy fatally wounded by a Cleveland police officer said surveillance video of the shooting shows that if the officer had not acted so quickly the youngster would still be alive.

The video made public on Wednesday shows Tamir Rice being shot within 1½ to 2 seconds of a patrol car stopping near him at a park in Cleveland on Saturday. It shows the boy reaching in his waistband for what police discovered was a pellet gun that shoots non-lethal plastic projectiles. He died the next day.

Family of Cleveland boy killed in fake gun tragedy says shooting could have been avoided | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,561,618 times
Sure it could have been avoided. The kid could have just stopped and obeyed a legal request, he could have not altered his pellet gun and made it harder to identify as a toy, he could have just not been carrying his gun.

Or the police could have just waited for him to draw his weapon and if it were an actual gun faced being shot.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,105,254 times
Police departments everywhere in this country need to research and develope the use of non-lethal weapons. One non-lethal weapon I've seen put to good use is the shotgun loaded with beanbags. It can take someone right down without inflicting serious injury. Such a weapon would have worked well in the Cleveland shooting.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Sure it could have been avoided. The kid could have just stopped and obeyed a legal request, he could have not altered his pellet gun and made it harder to identify as a toy, he could have just not been carrying his gun.

Or the police could have just waited for him to draw his weapon and if it were an actual gun faced being shot.
The person who reported the gun to 911 suggested it might be fake. The responding officers were not told this. So they were prepped for the real thing not a possible toy.

Similar in some ways to the Costco shooting in Las Vegas where a perfectly legitimate concealed carrier was killed. In that case the victim responded to Police direction in a manner that got him killed.

Perhaps we need involuntary manslaughter indictments in these cases. Let the cops sort out how not to shoot the innocent.

Last edited by lvoc; 11-27-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-27-2014, 12:30 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Sure it could have been avoided.
I agree. The parents could have raised their child to know better than to confront police with what looked like a real gun. I blame the parents for this. As in the Ferguson shooting, parents raise idiot children and blame someone else (police, society) when it ends badly. Darwin wins again.

The parents in both cases should be held accountable and imprisoned for the deaths.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Police departments everywhere in this country need to research and develope the use of non-lethal weapons. One non-lethal weapon I've seen put to good use is the shotgun loaded with beanbags. It can take someone right down without inflicting serious injury. Such a weapon would have worked well in the Cleveland shooting.
you 't be serous. if someone pulls a gun on you, or even something that resembles a gun, the proper action is to shoot: you don't take time to ask questions or use some form of non lethal weapons. The best way to be assured something like this, Furgeson, or whatever never happens again, is for parents to teach their kids to obey the law and not to make threats against anyone, whether it is a police officer or just a person walking down the street. We all hate seeing these young lives lost, our hearts go out to the families, but until kids learn to respect authority we are going to continue to see these tragedies occurring jedwthey.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Hindsight is always 20/20...

Old 11-27-2014, 12:34 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I agree. The parents could have raised their child to know better than to confront police with what looked like a real gun. I blame the parents for this. As in the Ferguson shooting, parents raise idiot children and blame someone else (police, society) when it ends badly. Darwin wins again.

The parents in both cases should be held accountable and imprisoned for the deaths.
Can we really expect idiot parents to raise anything other than idiot children? Many people are just dumb. That's the reality of it.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
if someone pulls a gun on you, or even something that resembles a gun, the proper action is to shoot: you don't take time to ask questions or use some form of non lethal weapons.
Help me understand the cops' actions.

Yes, the kid was playing with a gun - including pointing it at people - sometime earlier. I agree it was reckless and that the cops should have been called.

I'll post the long, wide-angle video below. At 3:40, Rice enters the screen and walks towards a gazebo. At 4:13 he starts playing with his gun again, pointing it somewhere - perhaps at a person off camera, perhaps not - nobody else is visible in the video. He does this for 17 seconds, and then sits down at the picnic table under the gazebo. This is the last time he plays with the gun. I assume the cops are not there yet, lest they would have acted.

5:11 is the last time you see anybody other than Rice or the cops in the video - 2 people are walking down the sidewalk at the top left of the video probably 60 feet behind the gazebo. It seems Rice never sees them.

Anyway, from 4:30 until 7:02 - 2 minutes and 32 seconds - Rice sits at the picnic table doing nothing. At 7:02, Rice stands up and starts walking towards the front of the gazebo. At 7:07 the police car enters the screen from the right, probably 40 feet away from Rice at this point. Within 3 seconds, the cop car is upon Rice, and the cop gets out and then immediately shoots Rice dead from at most 5 feet away.

Things I'd like to know:

When did the cops get eyes on Rice? Were the cops parked off screen observing Rice for a period of time, or did they drive straight into the park and up to him?

When were there 3 commands to show his hands given? It seems to me that the first possible time Rice became aware of the cops was at 7:02 when he got up from the picnic table (and he was dead 10 seconds later). Did the cops give the commands prior to the 7:02 mark from a distance and Rice didn't hear them? Were all three commands made between 7:02 and 7:10 as the car was driving towards Rice?

Finally, someone explain to me the logic of driving the car to within 3 or 4 feet of Rice. I'm trying to put myself in the cops' shoes. I get a report of a dangerous armed man in a park pointing a gun at people (I'll take the cops at their word that they weren't told the 911 called said it was a kid and that the gun was probably fake). When I get to the park, I see a man fitting his description sitting at a picnic table - no gun visible - doing nothing. He's the only person around.

I don't get why the thought process of the cops in that situation is "hey, why don't we immediately drive into the park and try to get as close as we can to him." For the love of God, somebody explain to me why that is a smart course of action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVewrqGFRw

Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,905,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you 't be serous. if someone pulls a gun on you, or even something that resembles a gun, the proper action is to shoot: you don't take time to ask questions or use some form of non lethal weapons. The best way to be assured something like this, Furgeson, or whatever never happens again, is for parents to teach their kids to obey the law and not to make threats against anyone, whether it is a police officer or just a person walking down the street. We all hate seeing these young lives lost, our hearts go out to the families, but until kids learn to respect authority we are going to continue to see these tragedies occurring jedwthey.

Ya really don't think the ole beanbag shotgun won't work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies