Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't have any problems.

I don't look for any love or approval from other races. For all I care, they can ALL hate blacks. I only care about my friends.

"Brother." (can't believe you said that SMH)
Well for better or for worse, you are my brother. We are both Americans and we are both in this together. It's not a perfect scenario, but it is better than most.

Doesn't mean I don't think you insane at times.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
There is no correct answer to a hypothetical, but I'll use the Irish slave example from history - the Irish were cheaper slaves than African slaves, were treated worse, and suffered all manner of oppression in the same Colonies that African slaves did. 50 years after the Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment, Chinese were still indentured servants in much of the US. Both groups seem to have done just fine coming from such oppressive circumstances.

So truth be told, given that whites were enslaving whites long before they got around to enslaving blacks, I'd say if the roles were reversed per your example (as they were with Irish slaves of the English), whites would be more successful per capita.

Now, if we are saying if we reversed the roles of racial grievance and collective complaining trumping individual effort as well, then yeah, whites would likely be in a similar place, since collective complaint and groupthink is one of black America's historical problems, at least more statistically general than other races that is.

Nope....I mean living as a racial minority (outwardly easily identifiable as such) in a land dominated by the racial majority group that has oppressed you for centuries. That is the black experience. Do you think whites could rise out of that situation any better than blacks have?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,946 times
It would be weird to have something so powerful hold so much influence over you that you at once need all its power to "lift you up" and on the other hand you have to resent and hate that power.

Must be a crappy position to be in.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
There is no correct answer to a hypothetical, but I'll use the Irish slave example from history - the Irish were cheaper slaves than African slaves, were treated worse, and suffered all manner of oppression in the same Colonies that African slaves did. 50 years after the Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment, Chinese were still indentured servants in much of the US. Both groups seem to have done just fine coming from such oppressive circumstances.

So truth be told, given that whites were enslaving whites long before they got around to enslaving blacks, I'd say if the roles were reversed per your example (as they were with Irish slaves of the English), whites would be more successful per capita.

Now, if we are saying if we reversed the roles of racial grievance and collective complaining trumping individual effort as well, then yeah, whites would likely be in a similar place, since collective complaint and groupthink is one of black America's historical problems, at least more statistically general than other races that is.
No, they did not...if that was the case, then they would not have any knowledge of being Irish anymore. Same goes for the Chinese. African slaves lost all knowledge of their ethnicities, lost their names, languages and their virtually all distinct cultural knowledge.

Africans only became "black" when they reached the Americas - especially the U.S. - because the manner of oppression stripped them of all ethnic/cultural knowledge.

COMMON sense should tell you that the Irish and Chinese experiences are not even comparable since they at least know that they are Irish or Chinese.

Show me the African-Americans that hold Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Ashanti, Akan or whatever ethnic names they came from. Show me the ones with knowledge of that.

Do you people really think before you regurgitate such stupidity? You cannot speaking about manner of oppression because you have not a clue what was actually lost. But yet you ramble about Irish or Chinese. How about this...stop talking about "blacks," and tell me about the Igbo, the Hausa, the Akan etc. brought to the U.S. What happened to them?

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-02-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are essentially arguing that whites are superior. This is what needs to be understood. Much of the arguments being made are based upon the assumption and belief of black inferiority....and these people who think like this have an impact of the life opportunities for blacks when these people are positions of power and or authority.

Push comes to shove and the company needs to hire someone to help improve their bottom line, one white and one black candidate with similar credentials....the white will get the node because of the superiority quotient. When faced with making a split second decision on whether to shoot someone.....the black will be shot because of the inferiority quotient makes them more potentially violent and threatening....etc. They will get the higher interest rates on the loan because black inferiority will likely lead to irresponsibility and greater risk.
I suggest you get off your high horse and start reading up on your history. You see, black people were not the only slaves in America. There were Irish slaves who were often treated even worse than blacks.

http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~yliu/classes/hist/slavery.html

http://www.ewtn.com/library/HUMANITY/SLAVES.TXT

Irish - Racial Tensions - Immigration...- Classroom Presentation | Teacher Resources - Library of Congress

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves | Rasta Livewire

The Irish Slave Trade

Irish Slavery in America

There's tons of people of Irish descent in this country, and they are doing just fine. Blacks are not the only people who have struggled in this country. Blacks are not the only people who have had to overcome bigotry. Stop acting like Blacks are the only ones who have ever suffered, and have pulled themselves up from it. You are so wrong about that, it's sad.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-02-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: edited quoted psot

Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
This story demonstrates the difference.

http://www.tamutimes.tamu.edu/2012/0.../#.VH3rshYvdvE

Last edited by shadowne; 12-02-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I suggest you get off your high horse and start reading up on your history. You see, black people were not the only slaves in America. There were Irish slaves who were often treated even worse than blacks.

Irish - Racial Tensions - Immigration...- Classroom Presentation | Teacher Resources - Library of Congress

The Irish Slave Trade

Irish Slavery in America

There's tons of people of Irish descent in this country, and they are doing just fine.
Another idiotic post...so ingrained in American culture. So let me repeat.

No, Irish were not treated worse...if that was the case, then they would not have any knowledge of being Irish anymore. They would be "white" with no clue of what ethnicity they are. African slaves lost all knowledge of their ethnicities, lost their names, languages and their virtually all distinct cultural knowledge.

Africans only became "black" when they reached the Americas - especially the U.S. - because the manner of oppression stripped them of all ethnic/cultural knowledge.

COMMON SENSE should tell you that the Irish experiences are not even comparable since they at least know that they are Irish.

Show me the African-Americans that hold Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Ashanti, Akan or whatever ethnic names they came from. Show me the ones with knowledge of that.

Do you people really think before you regurgitate such stupidity? You cannot speaking about manner of oppression because you have not a clue what was actually lost.

But yet you ramble about Irish. How about this, stop talking about "black" people and tell me about the Igbo, the Hausa, the Akan etc. brought to the U.S. What happened to them?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

The Irish Slave Trade

Irish Slavery in America

There's tons of people of Irish descent in this country, and they are doing just fine.
Could an Irish person ever argue that they were pulled over for Irish profiling by police? Why or why not? Why could blacks argue this and not an Irish person? Discrimination is not sustainable unless the discriminated against are easily and outwardly identifiable.

That having been said, you will find many African Americans with Irish surnames, but not many, if any, Irish with West African sir names.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-02-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 09:08 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Could an Irish person ever argue that they were pulled over for Irish profiling by police? Why or why not? Why could blacks argue this and not an Irish person? Discrimination is not sustainable unless the discriminated against are easily and outwardly identifiable.
Ummmm.....

Did you ever wonder why to this day a police van is called a "Paddy Wagon"?

Historically, blacks certainly had it the worst. No doubt.

But to dismiss other forms of bias is factually incorrect.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:

That having been said, you will find many African Americans with Irish sir names, but not many, if any, Irish with West African sir names.
surnames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies