Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 04:54 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My first job out of HS in 1981 was as a butcher at a ham processing plant making $5.00 an hour......all of my friends wanted in.

Today, like then, you start somewhere, work hard, earn a good reputation, move around until you find your passion and move along.

Stop whining and get a job.
So you didn't get $25 an hour to put ribbons on kittens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
So you think.....we used to make the BEST band instruments in the world around here among other things. Even silly low skilled workers back then were over $15 per hour. They went on strike once when I was a kid because they wanted to cut some down from $23 to $18. Now they have almost completely dried up and instruments are made in China junk now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGnZxcS7VKA
Outstanding!

People exercising their freedom of choice.

There was a time when jobs outnumbered applicants, therefore wages were higher.

Supply and demand.....you can't fool it.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
So you didn't get $25 an hour to put ribbons on kittens?
LOL.

Funny how people feel that they deserve a "living wage" simply because they exist.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
To post #40:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually the economy in the mid to late 70's was reminiscent of today in some ways. I remember lots of stories of guys with college degrees driving cabs because that was the only work they could find.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm a boomer and I didn't graduate high school till 1980. I think when people picture Boomer's they picture all of them growing up in an episode of Happy Days with bobby socks, poodle skirts, and Fonzie living above the garage. It was hardly that way was it?
No, not even in the mid-60s did we live that way. I'm not sure when poodle skirts went out; I'm not sure when they really were "in". Ditto bobby socks. Our big fad was nylons (no pantyhose yet) and tennis shoes in 7th grade in 1961. My mom thought it was nuts but she let me do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Here is how I recall it:

"You are too young"
"You do not have any experience"
"You do not have a college degree"
"You have experience in areas other than what we are looking for"
"Not hiring at this time"
"Only Part-time at this time"
"The economy is in a downturn and so we cannot guarantee X number of hours"
"There is a hiring freeze due to Gramm-Rudman and there are No openings"

It was bad enough to force some folk to enlist....
Don't forget Tricky Dick's wage and prices controls in 1971, just as I was starting my career. I didn't even make $4/hr as an RN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
This is so, so true! Standards of living now are way higher than what was normal middle class during the growing up years for the boomers, mainly because of cheap, accessible, easy credit. Seems people forget that.
Gosh yes! Our family was reasonably affluent (my dad was a manager in a steel mill) and we had no A/C, no dishwasher, no microwave. We were a one car family until the late 60s. We rarely went out to eat (maybe 2-3 times a year, seriously) and my mom made almost all her and my clothes. We spend a lot less on food and clothes these days.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
That's a common argument made by ignorant people, but isn't based in reality. Here is a graph of 4 decades of college degrees

As you can see, it remains pretty static. The so-called "useless" degrees make up about 20% of graduates. But it was about the same amount in decades past as well. I will grant you the fact that there are far more journalism/communications degrees these days (which are pretty useless unless you go to a top school), but overall it's pretty much the same.
But the more people getting a degree the less valuable it becomes.

An MD for example, it would not happen but if three million people a year earned an MD in ten years an average MD would be hard pressed to find a minimum wage job. Meanwhile a high school drop out would easily earn six figures if he was the only person in a town of 1,000,000 people who had a license to unclog toilets and knew how to do it.

If I offered a$15/hr 40 hour week job with benefits to someone holding a BA in sociology I would probably have millions line up to apply.... for a position as an apprentice toilet unclogger.

We have all seen jobs where a degree is required, any degree in anything, when 20 years ago we would have all laughed at such a requirement.

So many ignorant academics out there and I am just happy I don't have to deal with today's job market.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 PM

406 posts, read 283,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
LOL.

Funny how people feel that they deserve a "living wage" simply because they exist.
Eh, if you watched one of those oldtimer craftsman make, shape and fit a clarinet mouthpiece and reed all by hand, you would understand why. Forget fitting and making the keys. A high quality USA saxophone would make heads roll and spin as well.

It's a work of art and they were paid very well to do it.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
Eh, if you watched one of those oldtimer craftsman make, shape and fit a clarinet mouthpiece and reed all by hand, you would understand why. Forget fitting and making the keys. A high quality USA saxophone would make heads roll and spin as well.

It's a work of art and they were paid very well to do it.
There are still wind instruments made in America. I fully understand quality and craftsmanship.....it's what I do.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
But the more people getting a degree the less valuable it becomes.

An MD for example, it would not happen but if three million people a year earned an MD in ten years an average MD would be hard pressed to find a minimum wage job. Meanwhile a high school drop out would easily earn six figures if he was the only person in a town of 1,000,000 people who had a license to unclog toilets and knew how to do it.

If I offered a$15/hr 40 hour week job with benefits to someone holding a BA in sociology I would probably have millions line up to apply.... for a position as an apprentice toilet unclogger.

We have all seen jobs where a degree is required, any degree in anything, when 20 years ago we would have all laughed at such a requirement.

So many ignorant academics out there and I am just happy I don't have to deal with today's job market.
EXACTLY!! Which is why it's more difficult for young millennials than other generations, but so many people, presumably 50 yrs +, don't understand that fact. College is becoming the minimum requirement rather than high school. That's 4 less years of earning money, not to mention you are racking up tons of debt.

My dad never worked hard in school, went to junior college and called it quits, and never had too difficult of a job. Boring factory work, but not challenging or labor intensive by any means, and easy hours for the most part. Yet, with my mom working part time, was able to provide an above average living for my family. My grandpa worked for the state fixing roads and all that, while my grandma didn't work at all. He was able to support 3 kids. There's no chance I would be able to support my family as easily as they did.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:23 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
EXACTLY!! Which is why it's more difficult for young millennials than other generations, but so many people, presumably 50 yrs +, don't understand that fact. College is becoming the minimum requirement rather than high school. That's 4 less years of earning money, not to mention you are racking up tons of debt.

My dad never worked hard in school, went to junior college and called it quits, and never had too difficult of a job. Boring factory work, but not challenging or labor intensive by any means, and easy hours for the most part. Yet, with my mom working part time, was able to provide an above average living for my family. My grandpa worked for the state fixing roads and all that, while my grandma didn't work at all. He was able to support 3 kids. There's no chance I would be able to support my family as easily as they did.
Our "needs" nowadays far exceed those of 50 years ago. We had one tv for the entire house, a 20", no remote. No cable to pay for, no big screens to buy, no latest ipad and iphone to buy with cell and internet service. Often there was one family car. Eating out was usually only on special occaisions or on road trip vacations. This was middle class life that millenials are so envious of.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:26 PM

406 posts, read 283,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Our "needs" nowadays far exceed those of 50 years ago. We had one tv for the entire house, a 20", no remote. No cable to pay for, no big screens to buy, no latest ipad and iphone to buy with cell and internet service. Often there was one family car. Eating out was usually only on special occaisions or on road trip vacations. This was middle class life that millenials are so envious of.
What you are saying USED to be true. It's not anymore, wages are not keeping up with inflation across the Country. It's been a downward spiral for years. Gets worse every year. I myself have not gotten a raise in 7.5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies