Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
No. I am against this totally.

A child needs a mom and a dad.

Not two moms or two dads.

Both are very important to raising a child for many reasons.
Yes, leave them in the wholesome environment of the orphanage, instead, or turn them over to the families that are running foster-home mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
A child deserves love, security, and to be happy... if a gay couple is able to provide this then I don't have any issue with them being able to adopt. Heterosexuals are not the only ones who know how to love.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by YeledafYou believe that Tarzan is real?
Or do you simply believe that homosexuals and / or singular parents are an inferior species like the monkey?
Neither, but I do believe that there are groups in the Netherlands who want the age of sexual consent lowered to 12. Now those are members of an inferior species, wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
My take is that a male and female household is optimal, but same sex couples are preferable over single adult households. Foster care is only last resort.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
In the 60's in Holland we had BOM-women (consciously unmarried women) and some of them raised their children alone or with another partner (of a different sex or same sex).
Obviously these women are feminists, but I don't know if they are homosexual (nor do I care either way).
These children all turned all right, even being raised in an unconventional way (especially in the 60's).

Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
I'd say yes only if there is no other viable solution for the child.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:49 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My take is that a male and female household is optimal, but same sex couples are preferable over single adult households. Foster care is only last resort.
That's the same line of thinking that upset someone earlier in this thread--the idea that, if nothing else, gay couples raising a child is better than single parents. Really unfair to single parents, isn't it?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Neither, but I do believe that there are groups in the Netherlands who want the age of sexual consent lowered to 12. Now those are members of an inferior species, wouldn't you agree?
It is already 12, in practice, and has been for quite some time. Technically, it illegal to have sex with a person beteen 12 and 16, but it cannot be prosecuted unless a formal crminial charge is filed, which can only be done by the parent of the younger person. The age of consent is 14 in almost half the European countries. If that offends your sensitivities, deal with it, but you have no right to call the country an inferior species merely because it recognizes a reality and chooses not to carry out an inquisition against a large majority of its population. At least, they show that that they are a superior species, by not sending the police around looking in cars with flashlights to see who they can send to prison for half his life.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That's the same line of thinking that upset someone earlier in this thread--the idea that, if nothing else, gay couples raising a child is better than single parents. Really unfair to single parents, isn't it?
Really unfair to gays as well.

"Gays get second dibs on the kids the straight couples don't want." (Oh wait, gays ALREADY DO take care of the "discarded" kids the oh-so-good-for a child's upbringing "straight world" leaves behind)!

Great. Because OBVIOUSLY the character and ability of the parent to provide and love a child takes a backrow seat to some theory that mom and dad will create healthier children than mom and mom or dad and dad.... or just mom. or just dad.

Until we start mandating that ALL parents in a relationship not only "be there" for their offspring mentally, financially, spiritually, it's kind of ridiculous to assume that we're trying to give kids "the ideal." Plenty of kids don't have the Mayberry ideal, and grow up better kids because of it.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times
If there are good people willing to provide a loving home for a child who's all alone in the world, then why not. There are two families at my TKD studio that are gay and their kids seem to be very happy and well balanced. From what I've seen, and through conversations, they seem to be really dedicated parents. I just don't see a problem with it.
We have to keep in mind that sexual orientation should have nothing to do with providing a home, security and unconditional love for a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies