Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 04:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Kennesaw has learned from europes mistake.
So now you support ignoring the Constitution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As I said, (and if you study some history and the Constitution you should know this) Colonial America was made up of people who left England for religious Liberty. They were Christians (Puritans and others) who were being persecuted for their "faith" (the Puritans were called that because they wished to "purify" the Church of England, which was more like the Catholic Church — remember the Reformation?). The Church of England was the Official Church, and the only recognized church.

Realize, the so-called "separation of church and state" is a complete myth in the context it is used today. The First Amendment was only to prevent the establishment of an official Church. Nowhere in any founding document is the phrase "separation of church and state" found.

The Founders, who were primarily Calvinist Christians, wanted to guard against the government "establishing" one "sect" (Episcopal, Methodist, Baptist, what have you) as the one and only officially recognized Church. Hence, the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." It was to protect the rights of the Church to practice their religion without persecution.

This is not to say that it didn't protect other religions too.

However, the building of a Mosque raises concerns because of the history (especially recent) of Islam. And Islam is more of a cult, than it is a religion (and books have been written about this, one being, "The Kingdom of the Cults", by Dr. Walter Martin who noted this about Islam - he was murdered, by the way, most likely the victim Islamic Jihadists).

Nobody wants a Mosque in their neighborhood. This is totally understandable, and it is the right of a city to approve or disapprove permits for such buildings.

Islam began as a cult, and it is still a cult.
You realize of course that the communities established by Puritans only permitted other Puritans to fully participate in government and persecuted those of other religious beliefs. Which is why people like Roger Williams were banished for heresy in Massachusetts.

Where I live we have had a mosque for a long time, in a store front. I'm unaware of any significant issues connected with the mosque.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 PM

57,313 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You're already getting your wish. For the record, I wouldn't support putting a church in a mall either. It doesn't belong there.
LOL

Reminds me quite a bit of the 10 commandment monument in Oklahoma, great idea until the satan worshippers came along.

Do you understand now? They voted 5-0 to allow the Pentecostal Church into retail space.

Quote:
Originally, Kennesaw City law stated that religious institutions were not allowed in retail shopping centers.

I figured it was a valid point and as I read the case, it appeared to be a win for Kennesaw.

Until I discovered that back in July, the Kennesaw City Council amended the city
restriction and approved a request to allow a Pentecostal church to rent space
in a small retail center for their worship services.

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/opinion
-blogs/if-youre-scared-never-change/njLZw/

Last edited by Goodnight; 12-08-2014 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I for one am not supportive of radical Islamic, though I do have the rational ability to know that not all Muslims are radical Islamics.
Well, right. Neither am I. And I would assume that conservatives aren't supportive of the KKK.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Irrelevant.

Do the Muslims who want to build this mosque pose a threat? Are they violent?
They are the cause of the communities disturbance. More than 2/3 is not happy.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
LOL

Reminds me quite a bit of the 10 commandment monument in Oklahoma, great idea until the satan worshippers came along.

Do you understand now? They voted 5-0 to allow the Pentecostal Church into retail space.

-blogs/if-youre-scared-never-change/njLZw/
Variances are very fact-specific. There could be many reasons why one was granted and the other was not.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So now you support ignoring the Constitution?

Have you actually read the 1st amendment and absorbed the wording?

CONGRESS shall pass no law.

I didn't know Kennesaw GA was now CONGRESS.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post

Merriam-Webster's definition of cult: "a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous"

According to the Pew Research Center, Islam represents 23.2% of the global population, compared to 31.5% represented by Christianity. For further comparison, Judaism represents 0.2%. So, as funny as all of this nonsense is (and I am thoroughly enjoying this thread!), Islam is not a cult. Sorry, Christians.
Find that post yet?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Have you actually read the 1st amendment and absorbed the wording?

CONGRESS shall pass no law.

I didn't know Kennesaw GA was now CONGRESS.
Not only that, but they did not even pass a law here. All they did was deny a variance. It happens all the time in towns all across the country. There is nothing in the constitution that says town need to do whatever a religious group demands.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM

57,313 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Variances are very fact-specific. There could be many reasons why one was granted and the other was not.

Many reasons? Tell me the difference between a Pentecostal Church getting approval vs a mosque in similar retail space.

We are still awaiting the councils reason for rejection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies