Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times

Advertisements

I think the OP has a point. In many fields, the boomer generation keeps on, earning two to three times what an entry level person would work, with possibly lower productivity. Add to this that they surfed a generational housing bubble, stock market bubble,etc. and you see one slice of society (older boomers) holding all the wealth and power, and hording the opportunity. Time for many step aside and let the younger generation start their working lives.

In academia, for instance, professors will produce 10-20 graduate students in their career, but they are now working until their 70s, ensuring that now slots open for their own students.

The whole "workaholic, it is all about me, if I can't have it all, I am a victim" style of the boomers is getting very old. In addition to hording the jobs, they have been addicted to tax cuts, and very stingy with infrastructure spending, so they have cut the public sector and off-shored the private jobs. Their generation enjoyed the best opportunities that any generation has ever had, based on a the generosity of their parents, while they whine about "government", taxes, etc. and ensure that the infrastructure and opportunities they leave behind are second rate. Shameful, really.

Eventually, this will all play out (the boomers will enter the carbon cycle like anyone else), but I can see the OP's frustration. The boomers suck up all the oxygen, and still complain.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times
I'll file this one under the same moonbat idea of a "maximum wage"

Good god...

Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, there is a lot of sense to this. Consider also, it used to be if you started collecting social security at age 65 and chose to remain working, they would take a dollar of your social security away, for every two dollars you earned. The law was changed to allow older people who chose to remain working to collect full social security benefits without penalty with the only risk being moved up to a higher tax bracket.

Younger people do have it tough. Consider, people in their sixties and seventies got to go to college dirt cheap, didn't have to worry about as much competition getting into good schools, they got to buy their real estate dirt cheap, their were plenty of manufacturing jobs at the time, cars were much cheaper; sub compact cars were more exclusive for poorer people, where now they are for middle class. They didn't have millions of immigrant coming here legal or otherwise to compete for college enrollment, and jobs as well. Health insurance was much cheaper, if not free with many employers.
You must be very young. You need to educate yourself. Have you ever heard of inflation? In 1950 the minimum wage was $0.75, gas was $0.27 (on average) a gallon, a ticket to the move was $0.50. Priorities were different - hard work, saving for a home, putting food on the table, clothing (which was minimal) and getting an education and not everyone owned a car - public transportation was the mode of travel for the majority.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

1. most pensions were eliminated by the liberal YUPPIES back in the 80s and 90's

2. most people can not AFFORD to retire

3. most people WANT to still be viable....many of the 18-29 years olds don't even have a good work ethic

Old 12-07-2014, 11:50 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. most pensions were eliminated by the liberal YUPPIES back in the 80s and 90's

3. most people WANT to still be viable....many of the 18-29 years olds don't even have a good work ethic
How so

Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How so
YUPPIES (young upwardly MOBILE) didn't want the anchor of a pension..they wanted to be mobile..they wanted something like the 401k, that can go with them from job to job as they traveled up the corp ladder... and businesses gladly complied as it saves the business money in the long run

why do you think there are barely any pensions out there anymore.....

Old 12-08-2014, 12:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Not quite. Liberal Yuppies are not the reason why people are living longer than ever. That's been a collaborative effort of everyone in the human race for the past 500 years.
Quote:

The carelessness, irresponsibility, and incompetence of people nearing retirement age is really a topic of discussion for another thread.
Quote:
Many don't. Many do. The same is true of people of any age. The only difference is that people 18-29 don't care for hard labor. But they more than make up for it in knowledge skills and working smart. Something that the older generations never could figure out. One or the other isn't ideal for the economy, however. You need a combination of both.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think the OP has a point. In many fields, the boomer generation keeps on, earning two to three times what an entry level person would work, with possibly lower productivity. Add to this that they surfed a generational housing bubble, stock market bubble,etc. and you see one slice of society (older boomers) holding all the wealth and power, and hording the opportunity. Time for many step aside and let the younger generation start their working lives.

In academia, for instance, professors will produce 10-20 graduate students in their career, but they are now working until their 70s, ensuring that now slots open for their own students.

The whole "workaholic, it is all about me, if I can't have it all, I am a victim" style of the boomers is getting very old. In addition to hording the jobs, they have been addicted to tax cuts, and very stingy with infrastructure spending, so they have cut the public sector and off-shored the private jobs. Their generation enjoyed the best opportunities that any generation has ever had, based on a the generosity of their parents, while they whine about "government", taxes, etc. and ensure that the infrastructure and opportunities they leave behind are second rate. Shameful, really.

Eventually, this will all play out (the boomers will enter the carbon cycle like anyone else), but I can see the OP's frustration. The boomers suck up all the oxygen, and still complain.
Where are these "tax cuts" the left constantly spews forth in never ending fashion?

Just a bunch of puke, it is as if they are convinced if these "tax cuts" hadn't happened they would have gots the money themselves and been better off for it.

These tax cuts are as if you worked for me at an hourly wage of $22.21/hour and I presented you with the deal of an unlimited use fully paid for company car of your choice but as part of the deal I would cut your wages from $22.21/hour to $22.19/hour costing you $0.80 a week.

Never mind that with the company vehicle would come a company gas credit card and with unlimited use you could use the car to go grocery shopping, see grandma on the weekend and even take a vacation with non of that ever costing you a single penny.

But nah, you wouldn't pay attention to that you'd just whine on and one about how the mean man upstairs cut your wages my $0.02/hour and how corporate America was so unfair.

Now, according to you, if these "tax cuts" really went into effect the result would be less money going to the US Treasury, right?

Kind of like a wage cut for you, I cut your wages and you get less money type thing?

Well, let's see how these tax cuts have wrecked havoc on the amount of money to the US Treasury.

Treasury income as percentage of gross domestic product

Why, how can this be?

In 1971 the total tax receipts to the treasury represented 16.7% of GDP while projected receipts for 2014 are estimated to be 17.3% of GDP. Honestly, if we had all these tax cuts how is MORE money going into the treasury instead of less?

It is the analogy of the company car, they giveth a small tax cut over here but over there they don't increase the tax rates but do increase the "fees".

But looking at individual income taxes the left always seems to gush orgasmic with the 92% tax rates of the early 1950's but in 1952 (gush, if only we can go back to those tax rates all our problems would be solved) the receipts for personal income tax were 7.8% of GDP.

Meanwhile, this year receipts for personal income tax are 7.9% of GDP. Man, those tax cuts really worked out, didn't they? Where is my tax cut you rant on and on about?

As a baby boomer all I can say is we sure raised a generation of ignorant, lazy boobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not familiar with that degree, specifically. But why do you feel that someone studying in that program would not be in a position to further the field of puppetry? Arts is a broad academic field. If one wanted to further the understanding of puppetry and contribute to the arts within that context, it seems like a degree worth looking into.

A degree has nothing to do with making big bucks. You're clearly misguided.
Wait a minute, all I hear is how a degree will enable someone to earn more. It is sung and chanted about on every college campus in America.

And where did I learn about this all important Masters Degree in Puppetry? From the holder of a Masters Degree in Puppetry giving a speech at an OWS rally crying about how he didn't have money, how he could not afford to eat and play with puppets and how the boomers were keeping him down man....

In praise of the paupered puppeteer

Quote:
Conservative bloggers and commenters have been making fun of Therrien, who quit his job as a drama teacher in New York City public schools to get a Master of Fine Arts in puppetry at the University of Connecticut.

Now he’s saddled with $35,000 in student loans and unable to find a puppetry job. So he’s substitute teaching at half his former pay and is a member of Occupy Wall Street’s Puppetry Guild.
And there you go with another Obama supporter and voter!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

"...should be..." is the operand.

Just as soon as you learn to leave your iPad and iPhone at home while you're at work, maybe you'll get hired.

You can find 'sympathy' between 's...........

Mircea
Not to mention taking the piercings out, covering up the sleeves of tattoos and losing the attitude.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
It is funny, they want to start at the top and high earning wages that age and wisdom bring.

We need mandatory seizure of all business assets for those working illegal aliens. Then there would be plenty of work for the young and upcoming entrepreneur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.