Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Now thats scary. Hang them up before a stroke becomes a high probability.
The last time I was in Alaka and took a private plane tour, the plane was approaching 60 and the pilot was almost 80.

This information, too much information, impacted my enjoyment. I could not shake a bad case of " what ifs".
My husband, on the otherhand, appreciated the pilot's experience and never gave the age of the pilot or craft a second thought. I missed the herd of wild goats on a glacier because I was fixated on the pilot and attempting to formulate a plan B in case, he had the big one.

No doubt my BP was substantially higher than the pilot's during that flight.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
So, retiring boomers are responsible for the nation's low labor participation rate And working boomers are responsible for keeping young people out of jobs.

What next ? Boomers responsible for snow in Maine and heat in Florida ?
No. Weather , drought and floods are all Obama's fault.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:07 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
This whole thread is based on a premise that there is a fixed number of jobs. Seniors who work most likely also spend more than those who don't.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

I disagree as there are unemployed people in their 50s that have problems getting rehired in this job market and certainly won't have enough money to retire at age 65-70.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The last time I was in Alaka and took a private plane tour, the plane was approaching 60 and the pilot was almost 80.

This information, too much information, impacted my enjoyment. I could not shake a bad case of " what ifs".
My husband, on the otherhand, appreciated the pilot's experience and never gave the age of the pilot or craft a second thought. I missed the herd of wild goats on a glacier because I was fixated on the pilot and attempting to formulate a plan B in case, he had the big one.

No doubt my BP was substantially higher than the pilot's during that flight.
Commercial pilots can only work for airliners until age 65. So someone above that age that still wants to work as pilot goes to work for the smaller commercial operators (like the one you mention).

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
FAA does not impose a mandatory retirement age on pilots.

Major carriers/ unions do.

One can pilot so long as they are able to pass a biannual test.
Class III medical is biannual.

There are three different types of pilot licenses, not including the newer recreational pilot license, and each requires a different medical certificate.

Private Pilot requires a Class III medical which is good for 24 months but can go 36 months for younger pilots.

Commercial Pilot requires a Class II medical with is good for 12 months period.

Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) requires a Class I medical which is good for 6 months period.

Pilot licenses never expire but medicals do. I have my commercial license that I got back in 1973 and it's still good. I can get a Class II medical certificate but I got issues that will keep me from getting a Class I. With the cost of flying my days are pretty much over anyway.

The FAA never mandated a retirement age but used to be, back in the ancient days, at age 60 you couldn't get a Class I medical and without a Class I medical you couldn't pilot an airplane requiring an ATP license.

Something I don't keep up on anymore but did the FAA re-institute a mandatory retirement age recently?

Airline’s Age 65 Mandatory Retirements Begin in December and Here are the Numbers

Quote:
The chart above shows that the Airline Industry will lose over one thousand pilots in the first full year of retirements under this FAA Regulation. Retirements will grow exponentially, with the Airlines losing over 3,000 pilots by 2015. Over 11,000 pilots will be leaving the highest levels of each airlines seniority lists by the year 2020.
But not everything field is bleak and I am pretty fortunate to work in one that has lots of opportunities even for old geezers like me. As far as young ones up and coming they don't exist having gone into puppetry and retail management. I am 66 and since August I got two cold calls asking if I wanted a job but I already have one.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 AM

198 posts, read 508,554 times
There are two ways at looking at this. Maybe we should have exceptions to do just the opposite! Force young people to wait to get jobs they are not fully qualified for right out of school...

My mom got married at 18 and had 4 kids. Raised us all and survived an alcoholic husband along the way. She went back to school at 42 and 6 years later had a masters in social work from U of Mich. Then she went to work as soon as she graduated doing counseling work in hospitals , and for mental health agencies, then retired from that in her early 60s, then worked in a private practice for 7 or so years, then at 70 started her own practice with 2 others and still see's her own patients every day. Dad recovered and at 76 is doing well, somehow they survived and stayed married and paid off all the student loans. They never lived over their means and had a very affordable house that they live in to this day.

Should she be force to retire, or turn it over to a youngster? or could a case be made that in fields like hers we should actually wait for the youngsters to do just the opposite and ripen on the vine for a while, live some of life's hard knocks and then get a job in the field when you know what the heck you are talking about......

Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

You must be a liberal progressive, eh?

Wishing to empower government to force people to do things against there will, without even knowing the circumstances in their lives, just because you think you have a good idea?

Who's going to play Gandalf in the next hobbit movie? Oh well, guess we will have to put make-up on a young guy, and make due.

Not only will we lose all our older actors, but Hilary, Elizabeth Warren, Biden, etc... won't be able to run for president either with that mandatory retirement thingy.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
No. Weather , drought and floods are all Obama's fault.
But somehow the abuse from the IRS, spying on Americans, horrible foreign policy, the US economic policies, lack of immigration enforcement, and the absolutely horrible ACA, etc... are not Obama's fault.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
YUPPIES (young upwardly MOBILE) didn't want the anchor of a pension..they wanted to be mobile..they wanted something like the 401k, that can go with them from job to job as they traveled up the corp ladder... and businesses gladly complied as it saves the business money in the long run

why do you think there are barely any pensions out there anymore.....
I think you have the order reversed. Companies wanted to save money and people got something portable, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.