Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I didnt say I considered internships for kids to be a negative, only that the government shouldnt be running them. I also explained how that could happen, but you seemed to ignore that part of the post.
Internships are a valuable way for the inexperienced to gain knowledge and employers to increase their pool of talent.
Well then there's the private sector who provides mostly unpaid internships to the best and brightest or connected students from the top schools- not at risk kids. These interns have a tendency to spend the summer in the copy room. It's good for the resume. Does not necessarily lead to a job offer, upon graduation.

Park districts are operated by municipalities. If a park district offers a summer internship, who should pay?
Many of these programs were operated by non profits who don't have the funding to pay summer interns.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
With all the high paying jobs available to people in Chicago, you're just lazy if you don't work.
How many 16 year olds qualify for any job, let alone a high paying one?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Well then there's the private sector who provides mostly unpaid internships to the best and brightest or connected students from the top schools- not at risk kids. These interns have a tendency to spend the summer in the copy room. It's good for the resume. Does not necessarily lead to a job offer, upon graduation.

Park districts are operated by municipalities. If a park district offers a summer internship, who should pay?
Many of these programs were operated by non profits who don't have the funding to pay summer interns.
Many internships are paid. I agree they're over-rated.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Wait...so occupying black kids reduces crime? I keep hearing that black crime is not that big of a problem? Sounds like a good program, but why is it so racist?
I didn't see the word black anywhere in the article. I participated in a program like that when I was young. I remember getting a check from the hospital I worked at. Thinking about it, I worked for minimum wage which was $1.90/hr. and got paid once a month, so the govt. must have funded the pay. Ended up being transferred to records dept.where I worked for 25 more years. People, on the program worked in the maintenance dept., housekeeping, etc. Other jobs available in other places in town. It was a goog thing. The program wasn't started to measure crime rate or try to counsel young people.

Seems 1,800+ kids was not a fair criteria for the study. That number is just a sample, from a specific area.

Sounds like a pork belly project for a researcher to study crime rate, except a pork belly belly would include more researchers and a whole lot more money.

I can't believe that was the first time Chicago ever had a program like that. I do think it was ...provided for the wrong reason. But.... it's Chicago.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I didn't see the word black anywhere in the article.
That's because I never read an article summarizing a study. I go straight to the study itself. Much more interesting that way and you don't have to deal with selective editing of facts or even wrong conclusions that are the complete opposite from what the study actually says.

Read the source. It makes more sense that way. The source study mentions that almost all of the subjects in the three trial groups were black.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 12-09-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 12:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,465 times
Perhaps if the Washington Post is so concerned about the availability of menial summer jobs for "at risk kids," they should stop agitating so enthusiastically for mass immigration which swamps the labor pool for such jobs.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Making sure there are jobs for those just entering the markets is a positive thing but the idea that we will continue to allow private jobs move overseas and replace these with government jobs is not sustainable.
For a blip in history, the USA was the only game in town. It took a world war to create the events that temporarily enabled this phenomena, an emerging US middle class.

Should government expand and disallow businesses from outsourcing?

Who is going to pay a premium and buy the product the company makes in the USA?

Business is trending multinational. A majority of their revenues are derived from overseas sales/service. Makes sense to produce in the country/region that going to buy the product when the cost to produce the product is substantially less than if it were "Made in the USA".

Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is getting to the point where people with Bachelors degrees are struggling. And not just the people in the "soft" degrees. Many people with STEM degrees are having a hard time too. I know a few people with STEM degrees who are underemployed or unemployed.
There have always been unemployed/underemployed people with degrees. And sometimes the reasons have all to do with the individual.

The willingness to relocate increases the chances of being hired.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM

998 posts, read 665,397 times
Don't worry, the left is hard at work trying to raise the minimum wage so there will be less entry level jobs available for young people. I'm sure that will lead to good things.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many internships are paid. I agree they're over-rated.
Probably depends on sector.

I am more familiar with financial services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies