Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Funny, I'm not hearing any of the supposed Libertarian voices in this country saying much about these topics.

They're there. Maybe you just choose not to listen. Let's not forget that libertarian types usually get labeled kooks via the mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Funny, I'm not hearing any of the supposed Libertarian voices in this country saying much about these topics.
I'll say that as a Tea Party type, I believe plants should not be outlawed and local governments should be allowed to make their own minimum wages. If the people of that city or county don't like it, it's far easier for them to change their local government and "correct" such issues.

As a Tea Party type, here are my top five issues:
1. Reduce the national debt via spending cuts and tax reform.
2. Reduce our military presence in the world and stop trying to be the international police. We had no business invading countries like Iraq and Afghanistan.
3. Shift much of government from national to local control.
4. Secure our borders and revamp our immigration policies.
5. Get rid of crony capitalism. No business is too big to fail.

Some additional, but lower priority issues:
1. If gay people want to get married, that's fine with me.
2. If people want to raise marijuana and smoke it, that's fine with me.
3. Repeal all property tax and shift it to other means of tax collection such as sales tax and income tax.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'll say that as a Tea Party type, I believe plants should not be outlawed and local governments should be allowed to make their own minimum wages. If the people of that city or county don't like it, it's far easier for them to change their local government and "correct" such issues.

As a Tea Party type, here are my top five issues:
1. Reduce the national debt via spending cuts and tax reform.
2. Reduce our military presence in the world and stop trying to be the international police. We had no business invading countries like Iraq and Afghanistan.
3. Shift much of government from national to local control.
4. Secure our borders and revamp our immigration policies.
5. Get rid of crony capitalism. No business is too big to fail.

Some additional, but lower priority issues:
1. If gay people want to get married, that's fine with me.
2. If people want to raise marijuana and smoke it, that's fine with me.
3. Repeal all property tax and shift it to other means of tax collection such as sales tax and income tax.

Very well said Pedro. I agree that it is easier for people to change their local government than it is to an overbloated federal government. I agree with all of your points, except maybe the part about income tax. Flat consumption tax, and I'm on board.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
So far, McConnell has said he wants to stop local marijuana legalization, and they're talking about stopping local minimum wage laws.

"Small government", indeed.
why did the liberals make hemp(marijuana) illegal NATION WIDE in 1937

hemp has a 1001 uses, not counting getting high

Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Hemp was made illegal to protect a California paper industry and to keep the FBI staffing constant or increasing.

I find myself agreeing with Post #12 except for the taxation. He makes a lot of sense.

Oh, the Midwest conservatives would never want to give up on Federal Agricultural subsidies including the inane Gasohol absurdity.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Very well said Pedro. I agree that it is easier for people to change their local government than it is to an overbloated federal government. I agree with all of your points, except maybe the part about income tax. Flat consumption tax, and I'm on board.
I'm definitely a flat consumption tax guy, but if I had the choice between moving my property tax to an income tax or leaving it as a property tax, I'd jump on it in a heart beat. In Texas, most of the talk about getting rid of property tax is centered on replacing it with an income tax. If I'm starving and offered a bologna sandwich, I'm not going to turn in down in hopes someone walks by with a ribeye steak even if my preference is a ribeye. I guess I should have clarified that.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You are confusing the "mainstream" Republican party with the small-government, low tax "TEA Party". Mainstream Rs aren't much different than mainstream Ds. Equally at home with the status quo and simply wanting to remain in power.
You do realize that the Tea Party are a big government group within the Republicans, they aren't much different than other Republicans other than they are further to the right.

Oh and how many Tea Party members are left in Congress?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Because people back then were brainwashed by corporatist propaganda into thinking one puff from a joint would turn you into a degenerate criminal sex fiend. We now no that isn't the case.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Because it was 1937 and the conservative Democrats at that time probably wanted the tobacco farmer votes.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
The House and their omnibus spending bill will be an example of not learning from the recent past. The amount of trash in this bill should lead to another collapse in about 8-10 years. The biggest is the lowering of regs. to limit banks using funds on derivitive contracts. Watch your money the GOP is back at it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies