Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

So another day, another nutcase running around PA. The local businesses and schools are going on "lockdown." I never heard of this until the past few years or so. Now, whenever a nutcase is running around, everything goes on lockdown. My understanding is that during lockdown no one comes in or out. So if you're lockdown in a school with a maniac, you sit there and wait for him to come kill you. If the maniac is outside, I doubt many doors are going to prevent a nutter in army fatigues from finding his way in. So what's the point of this lockdown procedure? How is it helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:08 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I don't think it is a dumb post.
I have often thought the same question.
WHY, when there is a possible shooter in the area, would you take all the kids into a small room (cloakroom or closet) so that they can be concentrated and more can be killed with fewer shots?
Doesn't anybody THINK anymore?
One of the first things we were taught in the military was; when in a tactical situation "DO NOT bunch up!"
Yet, that is the first thing they do in schools!
WHY?

Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Don't bunch up? What do you do instead??

Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
WHY, when there is a possible shooter in the area, would you take all the kids into a small room (cloakroom or closet) so that they can be concentrated and more can be killed with fewer shots?
One of the first things we were taught in the military was; when in a tactical situation "DO NOT bunch up!"
WHY?
I have no idea. Even the department of homeland security video tells people not to hide unless it's impossible to flee the area.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So another day, another nutcase running around PA. The local businesses and schools are going on "lockdown." I never heard of this until the past few years or so. Now, whenever a nutcase is running around, everything goes on lockdown. My understanding is that during lockdown no one comes in or out. So if you're lockdown in a school with a maniac, you sit there and wait for him to come kill you. If the maniac is outside, I doubt many doors are going to prevent a nutter in army fatigues from finding his way in. So what's the point of this lockdown procedure? How is it helpful?

You`re missing the point.

The lockdown policy is not intended to prevent anyone from being killed.

Remember, this strategy for dealing with a dangerous and volatile situation was created by the same people that came up with gun free zones.

The purpose of being forced to stay in one place when danger is approaching is to eliminate the human survival instinct that is the driving force behind gun ownership.

Fleeing in unarmed terror just reinforces the understanding that gun laws prevent rational people from defending themselves against irrational people.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopian slums View Post
don't bunch up? What do you do instead??
Serpentine!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
WHY?
Because if they only have a few minutes generally before the police come and often option #2 would be running out down the hallway, where the shooter would be
And hiding is the protocol for upper floors/ interior rooms, on the 1st floor they tell kids to jump out the window.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Lockdowns in schools don't just occur for potential "shooters".
I was stuck in a school classroom once for 2.5 hours (was a volunteer doing 1 hour tutoring) because someone "thought" they saw a stranger on the campus. False alarm.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Don't bunch up? What do you do instead??
Well, DUH!! You spread out so that one mortar shell, grenade, or sniper can't get you all!
Instead of one group target, you present multiple single person targets.
It is that old bug-a-boo, COMMON SENSE, again!

Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 AM

778 posts, read 823,608 times
So how are you going to explain to a classroom full of six year olds that they need to spread out in every direction so fewer of them are shot?

The idea is to keep the doors locked and windows closed to help limit access to the classroom. The kids are usually under desks or tables for cover. No one goes in or out until the lockdown is lifted. You know where your students are.

Or you can let them all run around a campus where there's someone with a gun. I mean, hey, a few might be shot, but at least they didn't all cluster together, right? And then while emergency services are cleaning up the bodies you can go around and try and find out where all of them are hiding. Where's little Bobby? Is he cowering in the bathroom? Did he run home? Did he get shot and die off in the woods somewhere? Who knows!

I'm not saying the lockdown system is perfect. I'm just saying your proposal is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies