Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As a black male, I am somewhat offended by that title. What the hell IS this "African American Community?"
Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson et all DO NOT speak for me, nor do they represent what I stand for.
Am I alone in having an issue with this nonsensical generalization?
It must suck to be so easily offended. Straight off the pages of United Church of Christ in Chicago (you know, the one our President attended) where it talks about their black value system it states "Commitment to the Black Community". It is used frequently, perhaps you haven't noticed.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Maybe you should ask them since they're the ones who have appointed themselves leaders of the "african american community".

This is finally something white people have nothing to do with and is strictly a disparagement within the black race itself. If you people don't like it, start opening up about it and letting it be known they speak for only the low hanging fruit of african americans and don't speak for the intelligent ones out there who actually understand what is happening in the real world.
Tell me, how do I reach al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? Do you have their phone numbers?

I don't understand why any of us need to make it known that neither Sharpton or Jackson speak for us, when we already know that. The only people that seem to need convincing are those like yourself and you don't matter enough to me. I don't need to speak up about what is already known amongst the people that know me personally and know who I choose to listen to. They matter so if they asked I would explain, but then again knowing the characters of these people, well honestly they wouldn't have been ignorant enough to believe that two men that live in a completely different state somehow lead me.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,430,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Tell me, how do I reach al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? Do you have their phone numbers?

I don't understand why any of us need to make it known that neither Sharpton or Jackson speak for us, when we already know that. The only people that seem to need convincing are those like yourself and you don't matter enough to me. I don't need to speak up about what is already known amongst the people that know me personally and know who I choose to listen to. They matter but then again knowing the characters of these people, well honestly they wouldn't have been ignorant enough to believe that two men that live in a completely different state somehow lead me.
Perhaps then the "black communitie(s) could speak up and tell Sharpton and Jackson to shut up. That would DEFINITELY make Fox news.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic
Nope.....I just find the fascination with those 2 to be very odd.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
800-fullofcrap - It's toll free

Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I could not agree more. The main reason I mostly avoid this and the politics and other controversy forum is I get sick and tired of the ignorant generalizations. It gets tiresome. No matter what the situation is, it's a guarantee that someone will bring up Sharpton or Jackson or blame Obama somehow. Where was I when Sharpton and Jackson were appointed spokesmen for the entire black race? I must have missed it.
^ This.......

Old 12-16-2014, 11:07 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It must suck to be so easily offended. Straight off the pages of United Church of Christ in Chicago (you know, the one our President attended) where it talks about their black value system it states "Commitment to the Black Community". It is used frequently, perhaps you haven't noticed.
Notice I said "somewhat." In other words, just enough for me to bring up the issue on an internet forum. It's not affecting my day-to-day life. However, when I constantly see crap posted on Facebook and on media sites, I am curious.

And what does the president's Church have to do with this? Who cares where he went to Church? Their statement doesn't justify the term.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
And you don't think that this perhaps is the commitment to that particular black neighborhood/community ? I'm from Chicago and there are plenty of parts of the city where the neighborhoods are largely black and the church serves those populations within those neighborhoods.surely you don't think that a church in Chicago had made a commitment to a black person like myself that lives in the lily white suburbs of Philly? If they did why haven't I heard from them? After all, I am a part of their black community even though I live close to 10 hours away.

It's used frequently but it seems like with those that are ignorant don't understand that when it's used in cases like above it does not encompass every black person in the world. Maybe this is perhaps another issue that some white people just don't truly understand... They use the term, without fully understanding that we aren't this huge collective community that comes together against whitey.

It's interesting I got a pm that said "white people are always on the outside looking in trying to understand us but just can't" and I wonder how true that statement is based on the silliness I read on citydata?

The great thing is that in real life I know that personal experiences have suggested that my white friends don't have this problem.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,782,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you are driving on a street named after Martin Luther King, you are in "The African American Community".
lmbo!!

This is very true

Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Perhaps then the "black communitie(s) could speak up and tell Sharpton and Jackson to shut up. That would DEFINITELY make Fox news.
How can I reach my local black community? I live in a suburb where 95% of my neighbors are white. Most of my friends and associates are white, and while I do know black people in Philly, they live 45 minutes away from me w/o rush hour.

Besides none of us care enough about this issue to even need to make an announcement on Fox News. The last time I even heard the name Sharpton mentioned was when my grandmother, who honestly is what many of you would call racist, mentioned him. And I rolled my eyes and attempted to explain things to her then realized it Was a lost cause and moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies