Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'm sure the definition can be found in the law we're discussing.
If it's anything like most gun laws I'm familiar with it's either very vague or not defined at all so it can be whatever they want it to be whenever they want it to be that way.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'm for reasonable people being allowed to own reasonable guns.

We're not doing a good job of keeping nuts from getting semi automatic weapons of mass destruction.
semi automatic weapons of mass destruction? that doesnt even make sense, which is why hoplophobes will never get "reasonable" gun laws passed, because they have no idea of what they are talking about. get an education about firearms, and then we can talk.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If it's anything like most gun laws I'm familiar with it's either very vague or not defined at all so it can be whatever they want it to be whenever they want it to be that way.....
I've never read the laws, but I would hope something as unique as mental illness would be handled on an individual basis. It's certainly not as clear-cut as being an ex-felon.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I've never read the laws, but I would hope something as unique as mental illness would be handled on an individual basis. It's certainly not as clear-cut as being an ex-felon.
and that is the problem. suppose someone is going through a bad patch in their life, and they talk to a therapist about it. does the therapist send a report to the feds saying that this person is under a doctors care? and does that then disqualify that person from owning a firearm? and what recourse does that person have to get their gun rights back?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:09 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and that is the problem. suppose someone is going through a bad patch in their life, and they talk to a therapist about it. does the therapist send a report to the feds saying that this person is under a doctors care? and does that then disqualify that person from owning a firearm? and what recourse does that person have to get their gun rights back?
I see your point. I'd have to read the law.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:36 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:

Therein lies the rub. The real problem is that mental health care in general is broken. The focus on "assault weapons" is misguided, If a mentally ill adult sets out to slaughter a bunch of 5-yr-olds, he is going to be able to do it whether he has an AR-15, a revolver, a pump shotgun, a kitchen knife, or a baseball bat.

But we never hear about proposals for reformation of mental health care. Instead we get one after another tweak to gun laws from people who have no idea what they're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

This is not the way to solve problems.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I see your point. I'd have to read the law.
the other part then becomes, about the doctor and their opinion of the persons mental state. suppose the doctor is staunchly antigun, and sees an opportunity to prevent people "under their care" from owning a firearm. what recourse is there to prevent such a doctor from abusing their position? its just like a person that is falsely arrested and perp walked in front of the media, and then late found to be innocent. where does that person go to get their reputation back?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
The world is frightening and confusing sometimes. It's okay if you don't understand it.
When you don't have an answer, see post above on how to exit a thread...^^^^^^^^^

But, it's really O.K. you cannot answer, we know that...go back into your mommies basement and continue playing games...

Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
try a little search on the word hoplophobe;

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

HAhahhahahaaaaaaaa exactly....

Old 12-17-2014, 05:12 AM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
HAhahhahahaaaaaaaa exactly....
Yes, I know what hoplophobe means.

I know how to shoot, too.

I know around a dozen gun owners, ranging from my friend who's in law enforcement to my more-liberal-than-me friend who has a closet full to my aunt and uncle who run a business making custom gun cabinets. As far as I know, none of them feel a pressing need to be super secretive or lie about their gun ownership.

And absolutely none of that changes the amount of bias that's almost inherent in straw polls or that straw polls differ from scientific ones. Again, I'm sorry that distinction is so hard for you to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies