Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 07:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

I was guffawing a bit at the news watching some old Cubans in Miami explode over this. I was thinking if you really cared for Cuba so much you should have stayed and fought for it instead of running away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
1) It's a lie to say that the Revolution didn't benefit the masses. Castro's literacy program alone raised the literacy rate by 30% at least.

2) So what if Cuba was like all Latin countries? What's the point? Cuba had one failed corrupt government after another. Castro's is just the latest.

3) Read books. Castro didn't start off with the intention of aligning Cuba with the Soviets.

4) Correct. Who cares if he expropriated American property? I don't.

5) Yes...we pay 4 grand a year, but only after 1938. And "treaty?" Cubans were forced to sign that treaty at the point of a gun.

you are repeating Cuba's government propaganda. There is no way to verify anything Cuba's totalitarian government says since they don't allow free press. I'm sure the Soviet Union under Stalin had a great school system, they produced scientists and doctors at forced, I'm sure there is a lot of freewill in the communist system....LOL

I bet you also believe North Korea's government propaganda that Kim takes care of its people well.

How did we forced Cuba to sign the treaty at gun point????? again you are repeating Castros government anti-american propaganda.

Of course you don't care if Castro expropriated American investments and refused to pay Cuba's debt to the U.S. . You are a Castro defender.....I bet you have Chevara shirts.......lol

Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
4) Correct. Who cares if he expropriated American property? I don't.
I suspect the owners of the property cared a great deal. So would you were it yours.

And by doing that, Cuba is the one who began the so called Embargo, not the US.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I was guffawing a bit at the news watching some old Cubans in Miami explode over this. I was thinking if you really cared for Cuba so much you should have stayed and fought for it instead of running away.
Well, you would certainly know better than they would, those silly old Cubans.

Btw, did you actually guffaw? I mean...really?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
1) That's a lie. The United States DEFINITELY controlled Cuban politics. Who do you think bankrolled Batista? Read the book Gangsterismo. It outlines exactly how we controlled the internal affairs of Cuba, trained and equipped its army, and trained its Secret Police.

2) You've made that dumb point already. It's irrelevant. The Cuban people rejected it. That's why a ragtag group of rebels were able to run out a U.S. equipped army.

3) Another irrelevant point.

4) Much of the Cuban tourist economy was run by American organized crime. That's a documented fact.

Pick up a book for once. I've read this book twice, and it's one of the best publications i've ever read outlining the relationship between Cuba and the United States...and the Mafia.

Nonfiction Book Review: Gangsterismo: The United States, Cuba, and the Mafia 1933-1966 by Jack Colhoun. OR Books, $25 (340p) ISBN 978-1-935928-89-8

YEAH RIGHT , IF we controlled the local politics of Cuba, Castro would had never got to power. The U.S. stopped supporting Batista, a reason he lost to the rebels. Maybe you should pick up a book during the Eisenhower admin.

Don't believe everything you read.........and what do you think Cuba is under Castro....is an island controlled by the political communist MAFIA of Castro for over 50 years.

You sure admire Castro dont you?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
The issue with what DD wrote is he is comparing Cuba to the Franz Fanon Wretched of the Earth era compared to now. Other countries in the region, except Haiti, have improved tremendously as well.

Similar to why we had LBJ's Great Society Program because a percentage of U.S. Americans were still living at pre-WW2 levels.

What FC actually believed depends on what writer you are reading. Of course, Communism or Marxism has to be placed in context as to what was believed and what was the ideal and the reality. The Soviets and ChiCom in the late 1950s were not exactly forthcoming regarding success, failure, modifications, criticisms, etc. Same for the independence and anti-colonial tendencies of the era.

But DD just likes to argue for arguments sake. Typical ....

Last edited by Felix C; 12-18-2014 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 AM

Is it so difficult to think that both Batista and Castro were/are horrid leaders?

Typical Caudillos, both.

As I always ask, and nobody ever answers, why can't Cuba be more like Norway, France, or Finland? Would it kill the American Lefties if Cuba adopted parlimentary democracy with a social-welfare state?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Oh no! We can't normalize relations with communists!?!

(Except China and Vietnam, they're cool, despite 50k men killed fighting them just a couple decades ago)

And gosh, Cuba is a dictatorship! Oppressive, censoring dictatorship!

(Exceptions again for our good friends in the Middle East, and of course, our bookie, China).

Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh no! We can't normalize relations with communists!?!

(Except China and Vietnam, they're cool, despite 50k men killed fighting them just a couple decades ago)

And gosh, Cuba is a dictatorship! Oppressive, censoring dictatorship!

(Exceptions again for our good friends in the Middle East, and of course, our bookie, China).
LOL! Very true.

The thing is, Cuba is really a local issue. It is a dispute with Florida and New Jersey on one side and Cuba on the other.

The rest of us are bystanders.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Way past overdue. We do business with "communist" China, Belarus, and Vietnam; no point in excluding Cuba.

- skbl17
We have to do business with China or they would not be able to purchase our debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies