Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times

Advertisements

"A Republican lawmaker in Missouri is introducing a bill that will require women to receive consent from the man who impregnated them before getting an abortion, Mother Jones‘s Molly Redden reports.

State Representative Rick Brattin filed the bill, which states that “[n]o abortion shall be performed or induced unless and until the father of the unborn child provides written, notarized consent to the abortion
.”

GOP lawmaker: Women need man’s permission for abortion unless they can prove ‘legitimate rape’

Here we go with the "legitimate rape" crap again.

This is how Republicans view women--as wayward children who cannot be allowed to make decisions regarding their own bodies or lives. No, they must get permission from their menfolk, who will then decide what's best for them.

Can the GOP possibly be any more degrading towards women? I probably shouldn't ask--I'm sure they'll find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:58 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
The argument is that a father has rights as well as responsibilities. You know, if the child is born the father has responsibilities to pay for the child, this is the other side of the coin. The father is being allowed a voice on if the child is being aborted. Is it right? thats a more challenging question, and im not sure of the answer. If someones body wasn't so intimately involved it would be simple.

The words legitimate rape should never be in things like this.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The argument is that a father has rights as well as responsibilities. You know, if the child is born the father has responsibilities to pay for the child, this is the other side of the coin. The father is being allowed a voice on if the child is being aborted. Is it right? thats a more challenging question, and im not sure of the answer. If someones body wasn't so intimately involved it would be simple.

The words legitimate rape should never be in things like this.
What if the father is an abusive spouse or boyfriend who refuses to give consent? What then? I understand the argument, but somebody's body is intimately involved, and that must, in the end, be the deciding factor.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,919 times
Men should not have to pay a dime if they have no say. I had a friend that was pregnant and was going to give up the baby for adoption. The guy took her to court, and she was not allowed to. Yet if she wanted to kill it, he would have had no legal way to stop it.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM

19,858 posts, read 12,134,069 times
How would this law even be enforceable? Couldn't the female lie and say it was a different father and get a friend/any male to sign the release?

Old 12-17-2014, 01:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
I am pro-life but I understand that abortion will never be made completely illegal.

As long as it is legal bills like this are stupid for the reasons HeyJude notes.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Men should not have to pay a dime if they have no say. I had a friend that was pregnant and was going to give up the baby for adoption. The guy took her to court, and she was not allowed to. Yet if she wanted to kill it, he would have had no legal way to stop it.
And if they have a say, then they should agree to have their wages garnished for the next 18 years for child support. But even that isn't any assurance. I knew a guy who worked jobs where he got paid under the table so there were never any wages to garnish precisely for that reason.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,625 times
Well, I've never looked to Missourians for any sort of guidance on...well anything. It's their state they can keep the crazy there all they want.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Does the bill require a prenatal DNA test to establish who the father is?

Old 12-17-2014, 01:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And if they have a say, then they should agree to have their wages garnished for the next 18 years for child support. But even that isn't any assurance. I knew a guy who worked jobs where he got paid under the table so there were never any wages to garnish precisely for that reason.
And they can go to jail for that. And yes that does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What if the father is an abusive spouse or boyfriend who refuses to give consent? What then? I understand the argument, but somebody's body is intimately involved, and that must, in the end, be the deciding factor.
And what if the woman got pregnant just to collect child support? And yes this does happen.

And why must that be the deciding factor? I'm not saying I disagree, but just saying it doesnt make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies