Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 03:11 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I was never entitled to anything, so what was "stolen" from me?

It's worth noting my family and I literally want for nothing since we manage our money well.
You aren't entitled to not having your money stolen?
Apparently you have a very low opinion of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yet somehow most of so called poor have cars, air conditioning, hot water, cell phones, computers, designer clothing...
The government defined poor get huge subsidizes because they are poor.
$1 over though and you get nothing.

I know of families living paycheck to paycheck with zero room for any emergencies or extras.
They can't even pay for field trips for their kids at school.

They are the ones you see at Church food pantries, thrift stores, Goodwill.
They don't wear designer sneakers because their food/utilities/rent is not paid for by Uncle Sam.

I do all I can to avoid paying $.01 more in taxes than I can. The entitled welfare club gets the bare minimum from me. But I buy caseloads of food for the truly poor that are hanging in there with ZERO government support. They are the truly poor in this country that deserve more.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government defined poor get huge subsidizes because they are poor.
$1 over though and you get nothing.

I know of families living paycheck to paycheck with zero room for any emergencies or extras.
They can't even pay for field trips for their kids at school.

They are the ones you see at Church food pantries, thrift stores, Goodwill.
They don't wear designer sneakers because their food/utilities/rent is not paid for by Uncle Sam.

I do all I can to avoid paying $.01 more in taxes than I can. The entitled welfare club gets the bare minimum from me. But I buy caseloads of food for the truly poor that are hanging in there with ZERO government support. They are the truly poor in this country that deserve more.
While increasing my pay from 20K to 50K know what happened? I had less money. 50K to 70K was still pretty close to break even. Its only after that that I saw big increases in my real disposable income. For exactly the reason you indicate.

Its a huge work disincentive. And we need to fix it. Good for you for donating food, that stuff truly matters more then most realize.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For anyone who thinks that all the poor people are there because they are lazy, or made bad choices, I invite you to watch this video.

A person decided to give a homeless man $100, and then follow him to see how he spent it. As expected, the man went to the liquor store...and if you stop watching there, then you can continue to feel like you are right, and act smug and arrogant when talking about poor people. If you continue to watch, you will see what he actually did with the money, and you will also see the guy who gave him the hundred, and who was following him, catch up to him and pull him to the side to talk to him. He finds out how the guy became homeless in the first place...it is not always because people are lazy, or stupid, or make dumb choices...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY

Sometimes life happens, and it doesn't work out like it does on paper...or in some peoples minds. Sometimes, it's just really crappy luck, and sometimes it's a domino effect...where one bad thing after another happens, and some of those people end up in situations they never thought that they would.

Not everyone who is poor is a lazy, drug addled, alcohol swilling, idiotic parasite. Sometimes...sh** just happens. Last thing anyone should do is kick a person while they're down.
Little old to be living with mom and dad must of made some bad decisions in life

Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:

Do you know of another place to see that? I'd like to view it.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Little old to be living with mom and dad must of made some bad decisions in life
If you had paid attention, he was living with them because hospice care did not cover everything, so he quit his job to take care of his sick dad who had cancer, and his mom who died of kidney failure right after that.

Try listening better next time.

By the way, it's "must have" not "must of".

Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you know of another place to see that? I'd like to view it.
Edit: and just like that, it's back up.

Not sure what happened there...it did show that for a bit, but now it's back up.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 12-23-2014 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
For anyone who thinks that all the poor people are there because they are lazy, or made bad choices, I invite you to watch this video.

A person decided to give a homeless man $100, and then follow him to see how he spent it. As expected, the man went to the liquor store...and if you stop watching there, then you can continue to feel like you are right, and act smug and arrogant when talking about poor people. If you continue to watch, you will see what he actually did with the money, and you will also see the guy who gave him the hundred, and who was following him, catch up to him and pull him to the side to talk to him. He finds out how the guy became homeless in the first place...it is not always because people are lazy, or stupid, or make dumb choices...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY

Sometimes life happens, and it doesn't work out like it does on paper...or in some peoples minds. Sometimes, it's just really crappy luck, and sometimes it's a domino effect...where one bad thing after another happens, and some of those people end up in situations they never thought that they would.

Not everyone who is poor is a lazy, drug addled, alcohol swilling, idiotic parasite. Sometimes...sh** just happens. Last thing anyone should do is kick a person while they're down.
No one has ever claimed all people living in poverty are lazy or don't care. I know some of the people our church food bank have helped come back to help us or will bring food to share when they get on their feet. You are assuming way too much.

Now, just to set things straight, first of all, anyone can make a video that claims anything. The vidoe may or may not be legit and second, the fact still remains a very large number of those who are living in poverty are living their because of their own actions or lack of same.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No one has ever claimed all people living in poverty are lazy or don't care. I know some of the people our church food bank have helped come back to help us or will bring food to share when they get on their feet. You are assuming way too much.

Now, just to set things straight, first of all, anyone can make a video that claims anything. The vidoe may or may not be legit and second, the fact still remains a very large number of those who are living in poverty are living their because of their own actions or lack of same.
Assuming, LOL. No, my comment was based on some of the never ending comments on the never ending threads by people on City Data who like to pretend that all the homeless and poor in this country aren't actually poor, or they are that way because they are idiots and lazy. Don't even sit there and say that you haven't seen those posts.

Now, will you please provide the factual evidence that supports your "numbers" that "a very large number are there because of their own actions or lack of the same". That would be swell.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM

998 posts, read 665,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Moral of this thread: Be a happy slave and es tee eff yoo, or else you're just another entitled Millennial idiot.

You really don't get it, do you?

I wanted to be a linguist when I was younger too. I actually made it so far as to live in Japan and work as the sole Westerner in a large Japanese company, where I did translation work. I realized there wasn't much future or career development in it, and moved on to what I do now. It took me a few years to get there, but I started from the bottom. Doing stuff I really didn't want to until I found better opportunities.

There's no instruction book for life. You need to pull up your diaper and go out there and make it for yourself. You're still young and I guess you don't get that yet, but it will come to you someday, hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies