Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
I work in healthcare and I consistently see almost no compassion or empathy for persons who have HIV or for the disease. It is as deadly as cancer, can cause cancer actually, but it seems like people only associate it with people who are less-than-reputable. As if they are being punished and that they should be put away. It's sad to me and many healthcare workers treat many patients with it like they Ebola. It is so ignorant. where is the compassion? How do you feel?
I volunteer at VA hospital. As much as I love U.S. military, I have to say that not every veteran is pleasant or easy to get along with.

I still do it because I enjoy what I am doing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't judge HIV positive patients because I have no ideas how they got it. It is a tragedy and the last they need is judgment from people who know nothing about them. Treat them with human decency is something I would do as a normal human being.

My uncle is an E.R. doctor. He told me he feels like a combat soldier.

I would imagine that many health professionals have to cope with their fear of contagion and feelings of having not learned enough about AIDS during medical training to safely treat these patients. So I can't judge them either.

It is truly a sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 11:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I volunteer at VA hospital. As much as I love U.S. military, I have to say that not every veteran is pleasant or easy to get along with.

I still do it because I enjoy what I am doing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't judge HIV positive patients because I have no ideas how they got it. It is a tragedy and the last they need is judgment from people who know nothing about them. Treat them with human decency is something I would do as a normal human being.

My uncle is an E.R. doctor. He told me he feels like a combat soldier.

I would imagine that many health professionals have to cope with their fear of contagion and feelings of having not learned enough about AIDS during medical training to safely treat these patients. So I can't judge them either.

It is truly a sad situation.
That is why the medical field practices universal precautions.......they assume everyone has HIV.

That way there is no mistakes or, judgments made.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is why the medical field practices universal precautions.......they assume everyone has HIV.

That way there is no mistakes or, judgments made.
So when you go to the hospital to treat your common cold, ER doctors assume you have HIV?

Doubt it.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
So when you go to the hospital to treat your common code, ER doctors assume you have HIV?

Doubt it.
In fact they do.

Ask your uncle.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:09 AM

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hos...prec/univ.html

I did a quick search.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Your link says nothing about "ER doctors should treat every patient as if they are HIV positive."

Old 12-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Your link says nothing about "ER doctors should treat every patient as if they are HIV positive."
Not just ER doctors.......the whole medical field.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Not just ER doctors.......the whole medical field.
I really don't know what point you are trying to make.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
That basically still is the mentality of so many , moralizing a disease.
Mentality? Are you saying that these men were not responsible for their own actions that contributed to their becoming HIV-positive?

Look at Magic Johnson--big stud basketball star that slept with no telling how many hundreds (thousands??) of women. I don't remember the number, but at the time it was on the news, he slept with a greater number of people than I KNEW at the time.

Drug users? No sympathy there. It's a result of their own actions.

Actions have consequences. None of the above are what I'd call innocent victims.

The innocent victims are those who got it through tainted blood, philandering spouses and the like.

At any rate, like the poster MIU, the three HIV-positive people that I knew died in the late 80s and early 90s. Two were distant co-workers, the other a member of a kennel club to which I belonged. All were white gay males.

You asked the question--so expect to get some answers that you don't like.

But it's still a sad situation.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I really don't know what point you are trying to make.
You said you doubted that doctors treat everyone the same.......like that are HIV positive.

In fact they do.......it is the only safe way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies