Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
He's arguing semantics with you. You're arguing reality. Technically you are both right. You're just more based upon what actually occurs.
I don't see any "semantics" at all in this.

High tax rates cause business failures, lack of investment, and lack of startup. It raises the risk of investment - by making failure more likely and diminishing returns on investment - thus, those who do, want even HIGHER rates of return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

High tax rates cause business failures, lack of investment, and lack of startup. It raises the risk of investment - by making failure more likely and diminishing returns on investment - thus, those who do, want even HIGHER rates of return.
Go back and read his post. Or just stick with this-I think you are right and he is wrong. And given how I argue with you constantly that means I think you're pretty right

Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Risk & reward can't be separated in this discussion. You take the risk because you expect a certain reward.

Nobody's risking their capital without a high probability of being rewarded for taking that risk. No reward = no risk. Tax rate of 75% on that reward? Why bother?

I'll illustrate...

You have an opportunity to invest in some business deal. The required investment is a thousand dollars. The expected return on that thousand dollars is six thousand, including your original investment. You're being taxed 75% on the profit, so you net $1,250 on your $5k profit and $1k investment. Worth it? Probably, with that 600% return rate.

Now let's look at a scenario that would fit far more investment deals than the above example, which included a very high rate of return, compared with most investments.

You have an opportunity to invest in some business deal. The required investment is a thousand dollars. The expected return on that thousand dollars is fifteen hundred dollars, including your original investment. You're being taxed 75% on the profit, so you net $125 on your $500 profit and $1k investment. Worth it? Probably not, with that meager 150% return rate, which is still far higher than the typical real-world investment.

Get it now?
Do I get what? Reread my post.

It's most certainly about return, but has nothing to do with risk.

Do you get it now?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Tax rates have nothing to do with failure.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wasn't it Woodrow Wilson.
Geez...you've gotta go back to Wilson?

Let's seal the deal and go back to Thomas Aquinas or Aristotle. SMH

Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Really?

Is every liberal a grade-school dropout?
Dunno. Go ask a liberal.

Quote:
Imagine for a minute, that I have a cool million to invest in a new venture.

As equity owner, I realize my return from profits made by the company. I invest a cool 1 mil and in 5 years I want 1.5 mil return. At zero percent tax rate, I can recoup my investments in the first 1 million profit and my return in the next half million profit. Total profit required - 1.5 million. The chances of a 1 million dollar venture making 1.5 million in 5 years - not bad.

At 75% tax rate, the business will have to earn 6 mil for me to reach my goal. The chances of a business started with 1 million profiting 6 million in 5 years basically do not exist. Ergo, I will invest elsewhere, or not invest at all.

It seems you people forget that investors recoup their investments with AFTER TAX PROFITS.
What part of It's most certainly about return... aren't you comprehending? Your example is based on a specific timeline. The argument fails because, although you won't reach your specific goal, you will still show earnings. That is return, not risk. At the lower rate of return, you will still achieve your monetary goal. It will just take longer.

A business operating at 25% before-tax profit is less risky than a business operating at 5%, regardless of the tax rates for either.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 12-24-2014 at 12:46 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Dunno. Go ask a liberal.

What part of It's most certainly about return... aren't you comprehending?
You are both arguing the same thing, return is affected by taxes, although its not always the 1-1 ratio most folks assume.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You are both arguing the same thing, return is affected by taxes, although its not always the 1-1 ratio most folks assume.
Incorrect. I was addressing risk, not return. I was pointing out that risk is unaffected by tax rates. Risk is evaluated with operating budgets, which have absolutely nothing to do with after-tax earnings. Why they kept arguing return is beyond me.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 12-24-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Do I get what? Reread my post.

It's most certainly about return, but has nothing to do with risk.

Do you get it now?
No, I don't.

Because he said this: the risk has already been realized by the time the tax collector comes around

Which is incorrect.

Risk is defined as the probability - in this case, of failure to achieve something.

From the perspective of the investor, risk has a direct proportional relationship to tax rates, because returns are all after tax. He's arguing that risk is all in the venture, but RETURN is not part of risk. But RETURN is the ENTIRE reason for investment. What's the investor's risk? Lack of return. The two are completely inseparable.

If you want to go deeper, tax rates also play a very high role in risk of the failure (inability to survive, regardless of return) of the venture itself. As growth, innovation, renovation - every aspect of the ability to survive uses after-tax dollars. Thus, tax rates are directly responsible for a sizable portion of the risk of the venture itself - even when not considering the investor's risk.

That's why I don't comprehend your or his argument as being anything but noise. It is simply rhetoric aimed attempting to decouple tax and economic performance in people's minds - when they are absolutely impossible to separate - as they are inherently homogeneous.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Dunno. Go ask a liberal.

What part of It's most certainly about return... aren't you comprehending? Your example is based on a specific timeline. The argument fails because, although you won't reach your specific goal, you will still show earnings. That is return, not risk. At the lower rate of return, you will still achieve your monetary goal. It will just take longer.
And that is nonsense. Completely so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies