Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,539,628 times

Advertisements

#HispanicAmericanLivesMatter
#AsianAmericanLivesMatter
#NativeAmericanLivesMatter

Old 12-29-2014, 07:51 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,360,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good points. a highly driven HS grad is generally more valuable that some chip-on-the-shoulder 'black studies' major.
The PDF link to the study, that I must have posted 150 times by now...compares the unemployment rates of blacks and all other races by comparing people of different races with the same majors. It's figure 7a and 7b.
http://www.cepr.net/documents/black-coll-grads-2014-05.pdf :

The only areas where black unemployment is the same as that of the other races is in the fields of liberal Arts and Social Sciences. Everywhere else it's higher, although the only field in which unemployment for blacks is considerably higher than employment for other races is architecture and construction.

That makes sense to me. Architects and construction workers need more than a degree. They need the type of characteristics that are best discovered through the good ol' boy network, or through getting to know the person. They're hire their friends, or their friends' kids first. Strangers will have to be like...godly if they are to get hired.

The architecture and construction factor really brought the unemployment rate up (it's 27% for blacks and 9% for everybody else).

Last edited by Clintone; 12-29-2014 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: I had originally typed unemployment for blacks involved with architecture and construction was lower. It's higher.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 AM

19,859 posts, read 12,147,585 times
Merely attending college does not count for anything. The studies results would have likely been the same having just non high school graduates vs. high school graduates. Throwing "attended college" in the mix is in hopes that people misread the statement and assume they graduated college.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,360,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
oh brother
I happen to be white
and I want to know where the hell is MY PRIVIALGE???
I am 63 years old operate 2 service businesses for the last 30 years
I DO ALL MY OWN WORK
I quit hiring folks because they were lazy even though I paid 10 bucks an hour years ago!!
quit your bitching and being a victim
boy the progressives are GOOOOOD at what they do!!!
Well...I'm extremely lazy, but I'm not the one who is whining

Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,725 times
Oh yes that's privilege. I have repeatedly posted unemployment stats that show huge and consistent racial gaps in employment.

Black Americans with 2year degrees had an unemployment rate of 8.5% in 2013.

White people with some college and no degree had unemployment rate 6.1%

White people with high school diplomas who didn't attend college had an umemployment rate of 6.7%

White people with no high school diploma had an unemployment rate of 9.7%

Black Americans with a 2 yr college degree had a closer unemployment rate to white high school dropouts.

And these stats are true across the board. There is simply no way you get these kinds of huge racial disparities without systematic racial discrimination against black Americans in favor of white people.

And if you excluded white women, and just compared white men, the stats are even more skewed.

A white dude with a criminal record has a better chance at employment than a black man with a high school diploma.

This is why when idiots say racism isn't an issue, I think this person is either a liar, stupid or a racist, cause the stats tell a different story. There are huge racial gaps across all measures of this nation.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The PDF link to the study, that I must have posted 150 times by now...compares the unemployment rates of blacks and all other races by comparing people of different races with the same majors. It's figure 7a and 7b.
http://www.cepr.net/documents/black-coll-grads-2014-05.pdf :

The only areas where black unemployment is the same as that of the other races is in the fields of liberal Arts and Social Sciences. Everywhere else it's higher, although the only field in which unemployment for blacks is considerably lower than employment for other races is architecture and construction.

That makes sense to me. Architects and construction workers need more than a degree. They need the type of characteristics that are best discovered through the good ol' boy network, or through getting to know the person. They're hire their friends, or their friends' kids first. Strangers will have to be like...godly if they are to get hired.

The architecture and construction factor really brought the unemployment rate up (it's 27% for blacks and 9% for everybody else).
I love your post, but understand for most Americans they don't want to know, they are going to look away.

For most Americans the problem of racial disparities is just proof that the black race is deficient in some manner, and this perceived black racial deficiency is going to be where they focus.

It won't matter that you can show that black people at every level suffer the same kinds of racial gaps.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,762,668 times
One of the best residential custom concrete contractors in my area is Black. He has no Black employees. I asked him a few years ago why is that. One- he doesn't get many applicants for open positions and two those he hires never stick around for long.

The guy is a Picasso with concrete and I sub out to him when I get a job that's beyond my skills. He has maintained at least a 90 day backlog of work even through the recession. He pays his employees above scale and has a waiting list of people that want foreman positions in his company.

No reason in heck he shouldn't be hiring and retaining qualified Black employees. Save for one- there are none that want to work in this field unless it's a government job.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:07 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This assumes that businesses would not hire the best actual candidate......running a successful business in this country is dog eat dog, its hard and there's very little room for error.....companies aren't going to pass over a more qualified black person for a less qualified white person, companies are trying to make a profit, they're trying to be as successful as they can, why would any company hire a worse candidate?
Actually, some businesses will do this. My father has seen this in places he has worked for. I've seen where people who aren't quite qualified to get the job got the job. This stuff happens. Just because it isn't logical doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Anyone can write anything and there will be those who belive it. This is one example. In order to take these stats seriously there are a lot of factors that need to be considered. I don't care who you are, there is a job out there and you can get hired, but you have to have a good work record and want the job. It can't always be your way or the highway.

Yes, there is discrimination out there; no one can claim there is not, but companies generally try and hire the best qualified candidate, regardless of race, creed, color or sexual orientation. We can't totally eliminate prejudice, we are human. But this, poor me, stuff has gone to far.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,209,486 times
"The CEPR study points out that the recession made it difficult for all young people to get jobs, and racial prejudices have always skewed the labor market against black applicants in the US—employers are less likely to call back applicants with names that sound African American."

Lol this is so true. My brother and his friend tried this experiment and found the same thing. My bros name is Michael and His friends name is Hakeem. They both send out resumes/applications with the only difference being the name and my brothers name got called back significantly more. He also said he'll be in for an interview and the white guy who interviews him will have a look in his eyes basically saying "Wow, you're michael?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies