Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 10:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,941,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The law permits people to carry weapons, but it doesn't authorize them to do so recklessly or in ways that endanger others.

That's where things like good judgment, common sense, respect for others, following proper safety precautions, not doing stupid things, and so forth come into play.

Everything in a free society has context and no right is absolute.
Of course that's all true, and it's true about a lot more things than just carrying a gun. So why are so much more concerned about it with guns than you are with other things? Why the hightened scrutiny?

I mean, I don't see you on here asking how to protect your family from negligent drivers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

But how do I protect my family from some careless person who does?
You don't....... it's really that simple. When we put our pants on in the morning and go out in to the world, we assume a certain amount of risk. Now, you can negate that risk by staying in bed all day every day if you like, that's your perogative. I'd wager that we accept a certain amount of risk even by laying in bed.

If only we could all live risk free lives..... wouldn't that be wonderful? Sadly, it isn't reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 11:14 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,449,602 times
According to your link the homocide rate was 11 per million in 1990 and 11 per million in 2010. The rate spiked dramatically after the ban and began falling after the UK added thousands of new officers. It's in the links you posted.

So explain how that's a win?

Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,941,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
Yes. Because as guns were banned the category "gun crime" includes the possession of a now-illegal firearm
So, you agree with us that if guns are banned, criminals will still have guns? Thanks. We've been saying that all along. And you've yet to cite a source for your claim that the near doubling of gun crime after the ban is attributed to arrests for illegal possesion.....
Quote:
Most importantly 18 years after the ban the number of homicides in the UK is at the 30-year low and falling!
From his link
Quote:

Aaaaaahahahaaha...... Your own links don't even agree with your position. This does however confirm something that we've known all along, there are far more factors that influence the crime rate of a country than how many guns it has.....
Quote:

Look at the chart in your own link. MURDER, hit it's peak, six years after the ban. They are only now getting the rate below pre-ban levels.
Quote:
Now you logged in from this account traper john a/k/a donidanko a/k/a freightshaker a/k/a whippersnapper?

I guess in a few minutes you will log in as donidanko or freightshaker and we will hear from 'him' as well.
Look, I don't debate children, and these accusations are quite childish. If you want to have a serious debate about guns and their role in crime, fine, but I'm not going to waste any more of my time on THIS foolishness, and I'd suggest the other three posters you've made false accusations against follow my lead.

Good day.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 AM

46,445 posts, read 27,316,718 times
Quote:
Now you logged in from this account traper john a/k/a donidanko a/k/a freightshaker a/k/a whippersnapper?

I guess in a few minutes you will log in as donidanko or freightshaker and we will hear from 'him' as well.
LOL....What brings you to the conclusion that these are one of the same? The all agree and disagree with you? Please tell us how you know this?

If so, you should tell the MODs..they can run an IP address....to be sure....then they would get banned by IP address....but you knew that...and you have no other reason to say anything like that except to cry a little....that someone disagrees with you....

Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 AM

46,445 posts, read 27,316,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post

Bud, everybody watching this thread saw you popping up under different screen names, providing the same exact rhetoric and same misunderstanding of statistics. Do you think that all people here are stupid?
Why do you do that/ When do you find the time to post under four different screen names? Are you being paid to post here?
Seems it's the other way around.....you cannot handle people that disagree with you, so you have to make an excuse to think you are right....

After the ban the murder rate spiked higher....now, later they are falling....how hard is that to understand....after the ban...more murders.....

Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,035,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
False. There are thousands and thousands of people that have used their firearm for personal safety. They don't care about other people irrational fear of firearms. In thei case, a firearm was needed for personal safety. They are just grateful that they live in a country that allowed them to defend themselves.
I have no irrational fear of firearms, I handled them as a boy and was qualified on the 45 as a commissioned officer in the Navy. I also have no irrational fear of being attacked either on the street or in my home. I have looked at the statistics and they are clear. Having a gun for "protection" raises your risk of being involved in a gun related shooting.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM

32,056 posts, read 36,988,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Of course that's all true, and it's true about a lot more things than just carrying a gun. So why are so much more concerned about it with guns than you are with other things? Why the hightened scrutiny?

I mean, I don't see you on here asking how to protect your family from negligent drivers?
There's no heightened scrutiny. I'm concerned about all conduct that imposes an unreasonable risk of harm to others. But I don't see people clamoring for the right to drive recklessly.

Quote:
You don't....... it's really that simple. When we put our pants on in the morning and go out in to the world, we assume a certain amount of risk. Now, you can negate that risk by staying in bed all day every day if you like, that's your perogative. I'd wager that we accept a certain amount of risk even by laying in bed.

If only we could all live risk free lives..... wouldn't that be wonderful? Sadly, it isn't reality.
Here's where your theory breaks down. People who carry loaded, unsecured firearms are bringing a hazard into the public sphere and insisting that they not be regulated or required to follow strict safety guidelines.

Nobody else is doing such a thing. Drunk and incompetent drivers are heavily policed, imprisoned, fined and removed from the roads. They are required to carry insurance and can denied a license if they don't have it. They are required to attend driver safety courses and perform community services. Repeat offenders lose their licenses permanently. They are the subject of ongoing campaigns to increase public awareness and responsibility.

Notably, none of this has required banning alcohol or banning cars. That's because we focus on the unsafe conduct.

Of course you never get every idiot and bad actor out of the way. But we can and should take all reasonable steps to minimize the danger to others.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,739,759 times
I don't carry chambered.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,094,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I have no irrational fear of firearms, I handled them as a boy and was qualified on the 45 as a commissioned officer in the Navy. I also have no irrational fear of being attacked either on the street or in my home. I have looked at the statistics and they are clear. Having a gun for "protection" raises your risk of being involved in a gun related shooting.

Having a gun raises the risk that you will be involved in a shooting...
The shooting many times is a self defense shooting....
Its nice to have the ability to defend ones self if the need be.

Having a car raises the risk that you will be in a car accident.
Having a pool raises the risk that you will possibly drown.

If you mishandle the firearm or you are negligent, then yes, there is a risk.
If you follow the universal rules of gun safety, then not so much.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

29,887 posts, read 14,932,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't carry chambered.
I do not mean to offend you but if a round isn't chambered you might as well be carrying a paperweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies