Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:27 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
With the AK series of weapons not even 15.00. More like 15 minutes to convert from legal semi to full auto.
I personally see absolutely no reason that machine guns are so restricted to the legal, gun owning public.
Common subjects can't be trusted to own such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Here is my take on this issue. I have been an NRA member over the years - but not recently.

The other day I was trying to sleep while my neighbor was target practicing. I work off hours. He apparently got a new assault rifle for Xmas. I kept counting 34 quick shots before he paused to reload. He went through about 200 rounds - I could have lost count. But the speed that he was shooting meant that he was not interested in accuracy.

As a hunter (haven't hunted for several years), if I heard five or six quick shots; the deer was still alive and running. It was always that lone one or two shots that killed. I am not saying that assault weapons are not dangerous; they could wreck mayhem in a crowd and leave many dead. The odds of them actually hitting the target that they intended decrease with every round fired. But the odds of them hitting others increase with every round fired.

A screw driver is a dangerous weapon. An ice pick is a dangerous weapon. A hammer is a dangerous weapon and a single shot .22 is a dangerous weapon. The human heart is only inches inside the chest cavity. We also have major arteries and veins that are close to the skin. Our spinal cord is very close to the skin and our brain is only protected by relatively thin bone. It only takes one well placed shot, puncture or blow to end anybody's life. As a society we will never be able to eliminate all dangerous weapons.

But the question is: Should we allow assault weapons? If we were afraid of the masses attacking in force; then they would be lethal deterrents and effective self-defense. Assuming that is not the case; there is a greater chance of killing or causing pain and suffering to innocent bystanders. It would probably be a smart move to keep most of these weapons out of the hands of the general public. But then we still have the arguments as to what is an assault weapon? So I don't think this argument has any quick answer. I would hope that my 34 round next-door neighbor would retire his extended clips - at least when I'm sleeping!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 AM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is my take on this issue. I have been an NRA member over the years - but not recently.

The other day I was trying to sleep while my neighbor was target practicing. I work off hours. He apparently got a new assault rifle for Xmas. I kept counting 34 quick shots before he paused to reload. He went through about 200 rounds - I could have lost count. But the speed that he was shooting meant that he was not interested in accuracy.

As a hunter (haven't hunted for several years), if I heard five or six quick shots; the deer was still alive and running. It was always that lone one or two shots that killed. I am not saying that assault weapons are not dangerous; they could wreck mayhem in a crowd and leave many dead. The odds of them actually hitting the target that they intended decrease with every round fired. But the odds of them hitting others increase with every round fired.

A screw driver is a dangerous weapon. An ice pick is a dangerous weapon. A hammer is a dangerous weapon and a single shot .22 is a dangerous weapon. The human heart is only inches inside the chest cavity. We also have major arteries and veins that are close to the skin. Our spinal cord is very close to the skin and our brain is only protected by relatively thin bone. It only takes one well placed shot, puncture or blow to end anybody's life. As a society we will never be able to eliminate all dangerous weapons.

But the question is: Should we allow assault weapons? If we were afraid of the masses attacking in force; then they would be lethal deterrents and effective self-defense. Assuming that is not the case; there is a greater chance of killing or causing pain and suffering to innocent bystanders. It would probably be a smart move to keep most of these weapons out of the hands of the general public. But then we still have the arguments as to what is an assault weapon? So I don't think this argument has any quick answer. I would hope that my 34 round next-door neighbor would retire his extended clips - at least when I'm sleeping!
^ Never an NRA member.

- Makes "hunter" argument (as if 2A is about hunting)
- "Clips" (need I say more?)
- Slips in "general public doesn't need assault weapons" from a "rational gun owner" viewpoint (common tactic)

Nice try bubb.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
we dont own enough

Old 01-06-2015, 11:38 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
^ Never an NRA member.

- Makes "hunter" argument (as if 2A is about hunting)
- "Clips" (need I say more?)
- Slips in "general public doesn't need assault weapons" from a "rational gun owner" viewpoint (common tactic)

Nice try bubb.
Yep, the only thing missing is the "my dad only needed X riffle/handgun/shotgun/handgun, so that is all anyone else needs" argument.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Why not?

they should be able to own tanks and rocket propelled grenades too.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Why not?

they should be able to own tanks and rocket propelled grenades too.
oooh! Can we get rocket launchers too?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:54 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
oooh! Can we get rocket launchers too?
You can buy those now. Same as rpg's, tanks and grenades. All it takes is $$$$

Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You can buy those now. Same as rpg's, tanks and grenades. All it takes is $$$$
NICE!

Gonna have to pwn some n00bs. Gotta be like super careful though cause the respawn rate IRL is total crap!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Those weapons are not cheap so I'm amazed so many people own one or want to buy one.
So? All kinds of hobbies are expensive and as much or more frivolous. $80,000 300hp bass boats make full auto firearms seem cheap, so does owning & flying a small plane (and both kill far more people than legally owned full auto firearms in the US have), but I don't care how other people spend their money and don't want to ban any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies