Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM

293 posts, read 317,196 times

Advertisements

In perhaps having a more fruitful discussion, what issues do you often break with those in your political ideology? For example: Conservative/Republican - supporting gay marriage, Democrat/Left - reducing environmental regulations, etc.

For me,

Center-left political views:
-I generally support the construction of the Keystone pipeline and believe the EPA needs to allow more natural resource extraction to enhance our domestic energy security.
-Unions are far too powerful and are becoming more detrimental to worker's rights than they help in regards to smaller businesses and the public sector.
-We should aim to make more free trade agreements and encourage opening up new markets for American goods overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
I am described as being conservative (though I am libertarian): I support gay rights, civil rights and am pro choice. I am also for a smaller government (which goes against both parties actions).

Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
In perhaps having a more fruitful discussion, what issues do you often break with those in your political ideology? For example: Conservative/Republican - supporting gay marriage, Democrat/Left - reducing environmental regulations, etc.

For me,

-I generally support the construction of the Keystone pipeline and believe the EPA needs to allow more natural resource extraction to enhance our domestic energy security.
-Unions are far too powerful and are becoming more detrimental to worker's rights than they help in regards to smaller businesses and the public sector.
-We should aim to make more free trade agreements and encourage opening up new markets for American goods overseas.
I agree with what you posted.

I would also add that a small minority should not dictate in order to get special rights.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:55 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
I don't break on anything.

I'm a libertarian-leaning liberal. Far left social issues, left-center economically.

Quote:
For me,

There is nothing center-left about supporting the expansion of neoliberal economics, disastrous trade polices, reckless enviornmental policy, and fewer worker-rights.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I don't break on anything.

I'm a libertarian-leaning liberal. Far left social issues, left-center economically.

There is nothing center-left about supporting the expansion of neoliberal economics, disastrous trade polices, reckless enviornmental policy, and fewer worker-rights.
I disagree, though I do think regulations on our end should be in place to protect the rights of our workers, we should however not dictate these standards to developing countries and create unfair standards of business through excessive tariffs and subsidization.

Also no true category falls under a political ideology, hence why I made this thread. On most other issues I am fairly left of the spectrum, however it is insulting to anyone's intelligence to say they shouldn't be in a view because "no true ___ would support X."

Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I disagree, though I do think regulations on our end should be in place to protect the rights of our workers, we should however not dictate these standards to developing countries and create unfair standards of business through excessive tariffs and subsidization.
How does one who is anti-union say more rights need to be in place for our workers?

Do you favor legislation increasing the minimum wage or strengthening overtime protections?

Quote:
Also no true category falls under a political ideology, hence why I made this thread. On most other issues I am fairly left of the spectrum, however it is insulting to anyone's intelligence to say they shouldn't be in a view because "no true ___ would support X."
...but they do. I'm not using a no true scottsman argument. I'm just telling you what it is. You can't anoint yourself center-left if all of your economic viewpoints favor a libertarian economic platform.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I don't "break" on anything because I don't assign myself to lables or carry party flags.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't "break" on anything because I don't assign myself to lables or carry party flags.
There is nothing wrong with having a core set of principles. Whether they align with a party or not is of no consequence. It just generally works out that way because both parties try to link multiple coalitions of voters.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Why hold an ideology in the first place?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
How does one who is anti-union say more rights need to be in place for our workers?

Do you favor legislation increasing the minimum wage or strengthening overtime protections?

...but they do. I'm not using a no true scottsman argument. I'm just telling you what it is. You can't anoint yourself center-left if all of your economic viewpoints favor a libertarian economic platform.
It seems you see topics in a rather black and white lens or did not read my OP carefully enough.

I think unions have grown to be a problem for small businesses and the public sector. Just because I am of the opinion that unions are growing too powerful and become detrimental, I am not against worker's rights. There are many ways to still support the right of workers through legislation, that does not include bowing to unions.

If you are not using the "no true scottsman" fallacy then you are making out topics to be more simple then they are complex. There are many different aspects of the political spectrum and just because I am not in full synchronization with the internet political chart quizes, does not discredit me from being center left overall. I am vigilantly in support of regulation corporations and certain types of businesses to provide fair pay. I am also in favor of a single payer healthcare system.

Again, issues are not black and white and cannot be lumped together to forcible label someone on a side when there are many facets to mend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies