Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh wow...7 sick days a year will destroy our country. I mean sure, the vast majority of developed nations provide for it, heck most have almost a month of mandatory vacation! And people coming in sick because they have no choice spreads disease to others, but it helps weed out the weak! Right?

The horror of it all, a healthy educated populace is to our detriment. Because by god until we have our people giving 110% and dying at the job (all hail the job creators) we aren't a real country right?

now get back to work, If you have Ebola the least you can do is finish your shift.....
This may come as a surprise to you, but businesses like to make money. If a policy will make them money, then they will do it voluntarily. They don't need government to force them to do it. So the witty sarcasm in your post pretty much falls flat.

If you want to attack the issue from the angle that everyone deserves the sick days as a human rights/quality of life issue, then you can make a case for that. But trying to imply that the government mandate on business is good because it's going to help the business be more effective is nonsense. If that were the case, they'd be doing it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
What a loser. I don't want extra sick days. If I'm sick I might as well be at work since both conditions suck. Give me seven free vacation days and we'll talk. It'd be nice if the nanny state finally did something worthwhile for the rest of us.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Did you read the article?
Not meaning to attack the referenced post or the poster but using it to say my peace on the matter to all conservatives in this thread,

I read the article. 6 weeks of paid maternity leave and 6 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. Not 12 weeks of paid leave.

I swear. Obama has proposed and attempted to institute some measure of trickle down to the middle class and poor ever since he's been in office and the conservative right wing republicans have thwarted him at every turn. Here on C-D, every conservative is up in arms because he wants 7 days paid sick leave for individuals. These people are not the 1%.
Everyone acknowledges that during this long recovery, nobody in the middle or at the lower end has gotten anything. All the gravy has gone to the business community and the 1%. He's constantly trying to better the lot of the common man and you right wingers keep fighting him tooth and nail.
When you say he's buying votes with his programs, that's really code for the fact that what he's trying to do will help a lot of people all over the financial spectrum and they're going to like it. Because a politician does something good for his constituents doesn't mean he's buying votes. That's not buying votes, that's trying to give the working, middle class a break.

Irregardless, this proposal will only help the conservative right wing person. Why? Because you've all said over and over and over again that liberals don't have jobs. We're all on welfare. We don't work, so we never get sick on the job. How can this possibly help one liberal? To hear tell, It's only the true conservative who works and pay taxes, so how can you be against something that's going to help the conservative, right wing middle class?
It just goes to show how narrow minded and blind you are to your own best interests in the name of some warped, anti social, political ideology.

You guys and gals never fail to astound me with your blatant hypocrisy.

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-14-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
What a loser. I don't want extra sick days. If I'm sick I might as well be at work since both conditions suck. Give me seven free vacation days and we'll talk. It'd be nice if the nanny state finally did something worthwhile for the rest of us.
Damn straight. Make sure you sneeze in everyone's sandwich in the lunch room while your at it. You have no responsibility if anyone catches your germs, the is the land of LUIBERRTY!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Damn straight. Make sure you sneeze in everyone's sandwich in the lunch room while your at it. You have no responsibility if anyone catches your germs, the is the land of LUIBERRTY!
Why would I care? Being sick sucks. Being at work sucks. Why would I care if I have more sick days? They're worthless.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Why would I care? Being sick sucks. Being at work sucks. Why would I care if I have more sick days? They're worthless.
I guess I got lucky. The company I worked for, for 28 years, gave me 7 paid sick days a year. 3 weeks paid vacation after 5 years. I always said I didn't need an alarm clock to get up for work, I enjoyed my job so much.
I sincerely feel for you if you hate what you do every day and don't feel any responsibility towards your co-workers. It must truly be a sucko environment.

Good luck to you in the future.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Seven sick days will in actuality become seven paid days off for those workers. The sick days abuse at my job is sickening.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what will employers do..."Well Hello Mr. Illegal. Would you like a job with us ?"
LOL. No, they may cut back on paid vacation benefits, but I doubt they'd be recruiting illegals.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Seven sick days will in actuality become seven paid days off for those workers. The sick days abuse at my job is sickening.
You mean to say that all those hard working, tax paying, conservative republicans who are carrying the asses of the lazy, teat suckling, liberal, progressive, "other" 47%, are filching the company for their sick days?

Who'd a thought?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Sick days are useless while vacation days are valuable. It should come as no surprise that people would rather use the plentiful but worthless one as the rare but valuable one,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies