Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Hate Speech Laws Will Become a Reality in the next 10 Years. Which Choice Best Descr
Yes, and I would back them 3 4.23%
No, that is too far-fetched 19 26.76%
Yes, but I would oppose them 35 49.30%
No, but I would support them 4 5.63%
Not sure, but tend toward likely not 3 4.23%
Not sure at all, but tend toward likely yes 2 2.82%
Not sure either way 1 1.41%
No Opinion/Don't care 1 1.41%
Other (Please explain) 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,242,245 times

Advertisements

Hate speech laws already exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,452,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just curious how many of you believe so-called "Hate Speech" laws will be implemented in this country?

Personally, I tend to think so. I won't get into which groups/factions I believe would support them. But it seems from many posts on whatever topic, there are some out there who back laws that would restrict/prohibit certain speech/writings they believe is "intolerant" of others (however defined). Also, there is a generation growing -- in fact, already of age in many cases -- that honestly believe they have some kind of "right" to not be offended.

Anyway, which of the choices best indicates your outlook on it all?
It is unconstitutional. That said, I wish it weren't. Think of the Westboro Baptist church picketing military funerals with "Hooray for dead soldiers" signs. It makes me sick.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,106,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It is unconstitutional. That said, I wish it weren't. Think of the Westboro Baptist church picketing military funerals with "Hooray for dead soldiers" signs. It makes me sick.
I think the Westboro morons were required to stay a certain distance from the funerals. That was the only restriction. These idiots make me sick too. But that's the price for freedom of speech. Having to put up with groups like these Westboro jerks. And the soldiers whose funerals they were disrupting died fighting for the rights of these cretins.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,185 times
Quote:
Just curious how many of you believe so-called "Hate Speech" laws will be implemented in this country?

Personally, I tend to think so. I won't get into which groups/factions I believe would support them. But it seems from many posts on whatever topic, there are some out there who back laws that would restrict/prohibit certain speech/writings they believe is "intolerant" of others (however defined). Also, there is a generation growing -- in fact, already of age in many cases -- that honestly believe they have some kind of "right" to not be offended.

They're already here.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,619,905 times
Quote:
=Votre_Chef;38043145]Yeah, me, the guy with superior linguistic skills.
LOL Huh? Jealous a bit? It is hard, I would think, to have "superior language skills" when you don't answer simple questions. Hmmm...

Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Hate speech laws tend to be a one way street. A year or so ago there were a couple of religious types carrying signs at a gay pride rally in Seattle. The 'pride' people surrounded them like a pack of hyenas and eventually one obese male commenced pummeling the Jesus freaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utyiN7g0TkE

Some of us wondered whether there would be hate-crime charges because of the clear attack based on religion. A provision in the law clearly ID's attack based on religion as an offense.
RCW 9a.36.080: Malicious harassment

We needn't have wondered, the answer was no. I predict no response from liberals to this post.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hate speech laws tend to be a one way street. A year or so ago there were a couple of religious types carrying signs at a gay pride rally in Seattle. The 'pride' people surrounded them like a pack of hyenas and eventually one obese male commenced pummeling the Jesus freaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utyiN7g0TkE

Some of us wondered whether there would be hate-crime charges because of the clear attack based on religion. A provision in the law clearly ID's attack based on religion as an offense.
RCW 9a.36.080: Malicious harassment

We needn't have wondered, the answer was no. I predict no response from liberals to this post.
I don't see the one way street you are talking about. At the end it looks like the police detained the man who was getting violent with the person. Do you have any follow up information that says anything about if this person was charged or not?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:

Yes. I like you putting 'Hate Speech' in quotes because they're more like 'don't let anyone feel insulted or harassed by what you say or write laws.'

Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
There's no such thing as a well written law that restricts freedom of speech. Maybe in Canada but not in the U.S. Apparently we value freedom of speech more than you Canadiens do.
And not just apparently; but very obviously you don't know what in h*** you're talking about even after links posted showing America has actually thrown kids in jail for dissing on each other over Facebook....

You can stop with the faux superiority as it doesn't play, either in the figurative or the realistic.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Hate speech laws already exist.
BINGO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies