Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:23 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,685,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Sounds like you believe all our soldiers that have seen combat deserve to be killed.

No, but like all groups there are some that are bad people.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,819,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You don't have to view him as a hero because everybody's personal hero is different and everybody has different definition of hero.

BUT, do not call somebody "racist" when you have no evidence to back it up. Kyle was responsible for murder and dehumanisation? This is just a drama queen reaction and it is intellectual dishonesty.

What a shame.
There is pretty clear evidence of racism. He refers to those who opposed us in Iraq as savages and in other ugly terms. That would be racist.

The tattooed crusader cross was another indication. Wanted to make sure that he was a Christian killing infidels.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is the snipers and soldiers personal choice.

My friend, a former Marine Sergeant's story is all over internet. He CHOSE to be quiet, but government and civilian world still gave him the recognition he deserved. It is his PERSONAL choice not to get involved with media.

Kyle made a personal choice to write a book about his own life, I see nothing wrong with it. It is not like he revealed classified information.
Most snipers from other countries are silent about their exploits and don't live their lives 'seeking' acclaim.

Longest recorded sniper kills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feds deny Canadian JTF2 snipers fighting Islamic State | Canada | News | Toronto

Old 01-17-2015, 06:36 PM

39,255 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Most snipers from other countries are silent about their exploits and don't live their lives 'seeking' acclaim.

Longest recorded sniper kills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feds deny Canadian JTF2 snipers fighting Islamic State | Canada | News | Toronto
I understand that. But I CHOSE not to judge somebody that way. It is his personal choice, not mine. Plus, he is not here to defend himself. Who am I to judge HIM? If he is here, I can ask him a question, but he is not here, I don't think it is fair to judge somebody who is not here to defend himself.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,088,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
No, but like all groups there are some that are bad people.
What is it that he did bad, that he was not authorized to do by our government?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There is pretty clear evidence of racism. He refers to those who opposed us in Iraq as savages and in other ugly terms. That would be racist.

The tattooed crusader cross was another indication. Wanted to make sure that he was a Christian killing infidels.
I wonder if you have read his book and watched any of his interview.

He said, "I have no problems killing those savages who want my boys (the military guys) and my people dead." Please tell me exactly what is wrong with that statement?

He made himself VERY clear in the following interview, "....Not the Iraqies, the terrorists, (savages)"

Of course he had to write a book to tell his own story, so that his words won't get twisted by people with hidden agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyAT1TVQ9Q

from 2:45

Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,819,686 times
If one of our predator pilots at Creech Airbase got a kill total of a couple of hundred would he be a hero?

Should he get a movie showing his daily grind up the US 95 to slay the Philistines? He just has to pull his normal shift and then gets to go home to wife and family.

I would think he is doing more for the fighters and the US than a sniper...and kills a better quality of enemy.

So we going to have "Predator Pilot" as our next war movie.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:46 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Smashing box office records and now with six Academy Award nominations. Some critics love it and some critics hate it, but the American people are supporting it. And I am gratified to see that.

Box-Office Shocker: 'American Sniper' Tops Friday With $30.5M, Could Approach $80M - The Hollywood Reporter

Lindy West from the Guardian:
How much, if at all, should Eastwood concern himself with fans who misunderstand and misuse his work? If he, intentionally or not, makes a hero out of Kyle – who, bare minimum, was a racist who took pleasure in dehumanising and killing brown people – is he responsible for validating racism, murder, and dehumanisation? Is he a propagandist if people use his work as propaganda?”

‘American Sniper’ Kills At Box Office As Some Critics Condemn And Others Commend
I'd like to say that Lindy West is a vicious, bitter, hate-filled c***. But that would make me like her, so I won't.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If one of our predator pilots at Creech Airbase got a kill total of a couple of hundred would he be a hero?

Should he get a movie showing his daily grind up the US 95 to slay the Philistines? He just has to pull his normal shift and then gets to go home to wife and family.

I would think he is doing more for the fighters and the US than a sniper...and kills a better quality of enemy.

So we going to have "Predator Pilot" as our next war movie.
Kyle said in his interview, "Hollywood fantasizes about war and make it look good, war sucks." It is not like he ASKED for a movie.

Look, this guy is not here anymore. let's show him some basic respect by not speculating. Is it too much to ask?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Before the movie he was interviewed on several networks. There have been other snipers and soldiers deserving of recognition, they did not enter into the media circus until recently including medal of honor recipients.
Anybody who writes a book is expected by publishers to make the rounds in order to publicize it and help sell it. Again, he set a record for sniper kills, and figured that someone was going to write up his story, which was doubtless correct. He decided that he wanted control over his own story, which also seems reasonable to me.

If you read the book, it's pretty obvious that he resisted efforts to spice it up or varnish it. It's told in his voice, and he was a pretty simple guy who worked on ranches, couldn't even get through community college, and wound up joining the Navy. He even says that he was never the greatest shot, or most technically skilled, but that he just wound up seeing more action than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies