Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
When you have no taxable income you should be taxed appropriately. Now if they were paid a little more they might have a little taxable income. Plus while they may have no taxable income as far as income tax is concerned , they don't get a by in regards to the FICA tax (SS and Medicare) , if they own a little hovel you bet they pay property taxes and any other fees your local berg sees fit to levy (one of my favorites is the occupational privilege tax in PA) . They also pay sales tax so even the poorest Amercan pays some tax.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
When you have no taxable income you should be taxed appropriately. Now if they were paid a little more they might have a little taxable income. Plus while they may have no taxable income as far as income tax is concerned , they don't get a by in regards to the FICA tax (SS and Medicare) , if they own a little hovel you bet they pay property taxes and any other fees your local berg sees fit to levy (one of my favorites is the occupational privilege tax in PA) . They also pay sales tax so even the poorest Amercan pays some tax.
Taxable income brings up a point. With deductions and exemptions the bottom 50% don't pay the taxes that those over 50% don't pay.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,579,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
For some reason, I'm getting ultra sensitive about all these threads and postings referring to *poor* people. Maybe we need to use a different adjective to describe a certain 'group' of people.

I AM POOR! But I certainly hope you are not referring to me!

I'm 51yrs , no dependents, single, and work FT @ $9.50/hr. I don't receive any gov help of any kind! I'm not eligible for ANYTHING! Every February (tax time) I file a straight form, with no extra candy of any kind. No extra forms to fill out.

So guess what? I am paying my taxes. Last 2 yrs my income taxes averaged 21%.

I also pay taxes every time I go to the store... Sales Tax. I pay taxes every time I fuel up the car. Every time I pay my monthly utilities.... there are taxes included (that I pay).

I live alone. I don't have anybody to share monthly expenses. So you do the math. At $9.50/hr.... I am poor! Now just exactly *who* are all these threads and postings referring to?
You have four adult sons. You don't have to be "poor." Why aren't each or any of them helping you out financially? If each of them contribute something each month, it adds up and can at least supplement your income.

In certain cultures, it's not an option, but a duty, just like paying taxes, that adult children help out their aging parents. This is something that all parents need to instill in their children growing up to ensure that they are brought up to take care of their parents financially if there is a need to do so.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,971 times
Quote:
Typical liberal trying to redirect the topic. If you want to talk about war finances, why don't you start a different thread on it? It has nothing to do with this topic.
Typical liberal?? I didn't get the notice in the mail that I was a "typical liberal" or even a "liberal".

How I am redirecting? You are talking about taxes. Part of your taxes funds wars.

Also, you might have missed the fact that I didn't go party political with my comment.

But since YOU brought it up: Are you a "typical republican"?? Does that mean you have no problem that your money is used for war and the death/maiming of our military personnel, but you have a problem with feeding Americans, which include vets returning to the US who are no longer in the military, who have no home, family or job and their only alternative is to turn to the government for basic survival - food being one of the necessities? Do you resent those actively in the military who need food stamps to feed their families?

Last edited by triple8s; 01-20-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7ski View Post
It's almost funny that the wealthiest nation on the whole planet can't provide enough decent paying jobs to create a healthy economy.
The US is no longer the wealthiest nation. It ranks number 7.

We HAD decent paying jobs until government decided that it would help big business to outsource and move manufacturing to other countries while building their economy.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.

These people often pay a lot, just not directly to government. For example, rental property is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes in most states, so they are paying a lot of excess property taxes. In one place I lived, property taxes represented 40% of the rent. And where would these people get the money to pay more in direct taxes? More than half my income is consumed by rent, I already gave at the rent office.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:33 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times
Quote:
They are paying their fair share. These people work every day so that when you go to buy something the stuff is on the shelf and there's somebody to ring it up for you and the place is clean and if you have to use the rest room there's toilet paper there if you need it and soap and paper towels. Then after shopping when you go get something to eat somebody's cleared the table from the last person and put on new silverware and dishes which are clean because somebody washed them and the waiter takes your order and the kitchen cooks it... These people aren't exactly just sitting around

Old 01-20-2015, 01:41 AM

139 posts, read 250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
They are paying their fair share. These people work every day so that when you go to buy something the stuff is on the shelf and there's somebody to ring it up for you and the place is clean and if you have to use the rest room there's toilet paper there if you need it and soap and paper towels. Then after shopping when you go get something to eat somebody's cleared the table from the last person and put on new silverware and dishes which are clean because somebody washed them and the waiter takes your order and the kitchen cooks it... These people aren't exactly just sitting around
Well guess what. I go to work and provide a service as well. Does that mean I'm already paying my fair share and therefore don't need to pay taxes anymore?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Well guess what. I go to work and provide a service as well. Does that mean I'm already paying my fair share and therefore don't need to pay taxes anymore?
Hard to say. How much do you make?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:19 AM

139 posts, read 250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Hard to say. How much do you make?
Well it shouldn't matter, right? According to mmmjv, just working a job is considered "paying my fair share".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies