Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 08:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Quite understandable why you never received a raise.
I've received many since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM

211 posts, read 165,027 times
Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage | Local News | The Seattle Times

Read it and weep folks...RAISING MIN WAGE DOES NOT CAUSE JOB LOSS OR HIGHER PRICES. Its sickening to think you republicans are A OK with paying a ceo MILLIONS a year yet can't stomach the thought of someone making 12k a year having a small raise so they can not live on the streets and feed themselves and their kids...You are NOT the person who gets to decide who can have kids and who can not. Simple as that. Raise the wage and there will be less ppl on food stamps and welfare of all kinds! You people are anti poor people and pro rich snobs who use the poor like slaves to get richer. You are being USED!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
That's faux news and Rush Limbaugh talking points and not fact.If it was fact for instance why haven't products gone up extremely high in price because of the million dollar salaries of the CEO's? Try answering that one...if it ain't gone up with million dollar salaries it won't go up enough to worry about it if at all.
They have gone up.

Food costs eating into consumers' saving at the pump as holidays near

The CEO's aren't making record salaries because of record production.

While prices might no "go up enough to worry about" they will go up enough to cover any raise in the minimum wage. The minimum wage is not the problem, the reason why the wealth gap has grown so large is the problem.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:06 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This was back when you met face to face with the person that gives you the loan. 1985 and it was an 8 year old house priced at 29,900. I believe my payments were $268. About the same as rent, though granted you have other costs associated with owning a house. There were times it wasn't easy.

I still remember him saying that he believed that if I was willing to work two jobs that I would make the payment. My ex still lives there.
Our first home was a new tract home in Mira Mesa, San Diego. We paid $21,500, and our payment, including taxes and insurance, was not much more than we had been paying for rent in La Jolla (at Windansea!), which had been $130/mo. This was in 1972. We had been married for two years, and we both worked. We lived in that house (remodeled once, doubling it's size) till 1993 when we moved here to Ohio. It sold for $189,900, but we had to pay a few costs out of that, because the buyer went FHA, which means the seller gets slightly screwed, having to 'subsidize' the buyers costs (to use a favorite Leftist term).

Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 AM

211 posts, read 165,027 times
That article says nothing about salaries causing the raise in meat prices...and I don't see it down here in Ga. I pay 1.98$ a pound for chicken and its been that way since I was out on my own 10 years ago. I don't eat ground beef but I do eat ground turkey and its always been slightly higher...bout 3$ a pound.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
That article says nothing about salaries causing the raise in meat prices...and I don't see it down here in Ga. I pay 1.98$ a pound for chicken and its been that way since I was out on my own 10 years ago. I don't eat ground beef but I do eat ground turkey and its always been slightly higher...bout 3$ a pound.
You have to being able to put two and two together. All the same you said prices didn't go up. They did. I'm not that interested in what you eat.

Mine isn't an argument that what we did was good either.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage | Local News | The Seattle Times

Read it and weep folks...RAISING MIN WAGE DOES NOT CAUSE JOB LOSS OR HIGHER PRICES. Its sickening to think you republicans are A OK with paying a ceo MILLIONS a year yet can't stomach the thought of someone making 12k a year having a small raise so they can not live on the streets and feed themselves and their kids...You are NOT the person who gets to decide who can have kids and who can not. Simple as that. Raise the wage and there will be less ppl on food stamps and welfare of all kinds! You people are anti poor people and pro rich snobs who use the poor like slaves to get richer. You are being USED!
First, is $10 an hour a living wage? Do you feel this is enough?

Second, you don't understand that when just a city here or there does a limited increase, it would not have the same effect as a large national increase. This has to do with both the amount and the interaction with the rest of the supply chain. If Seattle was it's own economy, your example would be valid, but since Seattle gets so much from areas outside that aren't under the same constraints, it's a false comparison.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So if one is working an unskilled labor job, they should not have sex?
Is that what he said? Amazing how you Leftists twist things. I think what he said was you'd better learn to support your family. Better yet, you shouldn't even marry before you can support a family.

Here is your typical Obama supporter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1421914688

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...yer_detailpage

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
The highest marginal tax rate for individuals for U.S. federal income tax purposes for tax years 1952 and 1953 was 92%

Under a REPUBLICAN president I might add. Republicans USED TO be sane and cared for citizens instead of just a tiny portion of them.It needs to go back to that.
So a 92% tax bracket means you care for citizens?

BTW, nobody paid 92%.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The middle class is shrinking because our country is so top heavy in wealth and thats because the real wealthy are not paying there tax rates. .
So if George Soros pays more taxes the middle class will benefit? That's creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies