Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. Even when first implemented, it was not enough to live off of working 8 hours a day. You had two jobs.
Minimum wage is not for the head of households, unless that person did not finish High School and has not marketable skills.
Minimum wage is for those just entering the job market. Usually the young and sometimes the very old that want or still need to work to supplement their small fixed retirement income.
Minimum wage jobs are a supply & demand problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
"never meant to"....meanwhile in reality.

"working 8 hours a day".....meanwhile in reality most minimum wage jobs refuse to work around a second jobs schedule

"just entering the job market".....meanwhile in reality about half of those on it are over 25

"a supply and demand problem"....meanwhile in reality minimum wage is set by federal and state governments, not supply and demand

At what point will you start addressing this issue based on what is, instead of what was, and what you think it should be?

Mean while in reality, it is not a living wage and never was.
Right out of High School, I worked 8 hours or more at the body shop and then also flipped hamburgers during the night shift. In between all that, I had my own lawn mowing gig to take care of.
I'd say your excuse is just being lazy.
Where are all the factory jobs that use to be the heart of the middle classes and those over 25.
The State may set it, but supply & demand dictate who is making it.
No legal American makes minimum wage here in this town, or within 100 miles of me.
With $7.25 minimum wage, the Dairy Queen is starting new hires at $10 an hour with a $3 raise after training.
Boost the economy and you boost the earning potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
"never meant to"....meanwhile in reality.

"working 8 hours a day".....meanwhile in reality most minimum wage jobs refuse to work around a second jobs schedule

"just entering the job market".....meanwhile in reality about half of those on it are over 25

"a supply and demand problem"....meanwhile in reality minimum wage is set by federal and state governments, not supply and demand

At what point will you start addressing this issue based on what is, instead of what was, and what you think it should be?
The reality that is math NEVER changes. When I started a family 38 years ago it was considered unwise to do so if you were only making minimum wages, but you could manage to get by. Now? Anyone who can add 2+2 should be able to see the money is just not there.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:

How do you describe the issue?

I would describe the issue that people who lack the motivation to develop any marketable skills decide to have children. Therefore they know the hardship that awaits them when they decide to have a family. Now they look to the government for entitlements and to support their family.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
You folks are the ones going on about unions tied to minimum wage, why dont you back it up?
I did back it up with a link and a quote.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
min wage is for unskilled workers

if you have a family and want to support them....you better learn/earn a skill set
Who's stupid enough to even try to raise children on minimun wage? I love kids and all, but I would never try to raise kids or have a family on a minum wage salary. I would wait to better myslef or wait until I'm in a better postition to start having kids. It all goes back to self responsibilty, if you took care of business is school, you wouldn't be worried about only making minimum wage.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Who's stupid enough to even try to raise children on minimun wage? I love kids and all, but I would never try to raise kids or have a family on a minum wage salary. I would wait to better myslef or wait until I'm in a better postition to start having kids. It all goes back to self responsibilty, if you took care of business is school, you wouldn't be worried about only making minimum wage.
I bought my first house and had my first daughter on minimum wage. You probably shouldn't condemn others for doing things you are unable to do.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I bought my first house and had my first daughter on minimum wage. You probably shouldn't condemn others for doing things you are unable to do.
If I may ask, how old are you?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM

211 posts, read 164,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
In his SOTU speech last night, BO mentioned something about 'ever try raising a family on minimum wage?' (or something to that effect)
To which I responded: "If you're only qualified to earn minimum wage, you shouldn't be having a family you're trying to feed"

Is that too harsh?
That's blaming the people and not putting blame where it belongs which is on the corporations who don't pay a livable wage which they should be doing OR/AND helping those employees pay for a better education.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM

211 posts, read 164,939 times
Neither me or my wife makes min wage but together we MIGHT break 25k this year. That's pathetic especially since both of us are skilled workers. Goes to show its the corporations not the people who are the problem. Oh and we are raising 3 kids and soon to be 4 on this. We live in a nice 3/2 home in a sub division and we both have vehicles,no car payments, etc...life is decent but one car broke down or one medical bill not covered by insurance can sink us.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Mean while in reality, it is not a living wage and never was.
Right out of High School, I worked 8 hours or more at the body shop and then also flipped hamburgers during the night shift. In between all that, I had my own lawn mowing gig to take care of.
I'd say your excuse is just being lazy.
Where are all the factory jobs that use to be the heart of the middle classes and those over 25.
The State may set it, but supply & demand dictate who is making it.
No legal American makes minimum wage here in this town, or within 100 miles of me.
With $7.25 minimum wage, the Dairy Queen is starting new hires at $10 an hour with a $3 raise after training.
Boost the economy and you boost the earning potential.
How dare some people want to have a life beside work and being a slave for a company that doesn't give a darn about them. Shame on them!

All married men should receive a family wage which would be based what he would need to make to support his wife and 2-4 children. All married couple should receive cash bonuses for each additional children they have. Otherwise individuals should make a living wage based on what they would need to make to survive without falling into poverty. In order to do this we need to eliminate all govt assistance (that includes foreign) and welfare except for social security. Yes it is important that people work hard but the economic situation that has been going on since the oil crisis of the 1970s and since Raegan went into office isn't working. Real wages have remained flat since 1973.

We need to boost wages or do something to boost them. Rapidly rising wages were the reason why the economy boomed and middle class families prospered from around 1946 to 1973.

Last edited by floridarebel; 01-21-2015 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies