Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,362,813 times

Advertisements

I describe myself as "pro-life- with an asterisk."
Meaning: anyone who has eyesight and a brain can look at pictures of an unborn child (fetus, embryo) and see that it is a human being. And that's even without the scientific/medical knowledge of how soon after conception the little person develops a heartbeat and so forth.
Abortion is not "health care," nor is it the woman's "own body." For the most part it's birth control- too late.

However- I knew two young girls in the past who had abortions (13 and 14 yrs old). I cannot even imagine how a young girl feels in such a situation- probably fear and confusion, and maybe not knowing there is any other option. For that reason, I cannot bring myself to "stand in judgment" of someone in that type of situation- like I'd not say they did something horribly wrong, etc.

But this is much different than saying women have "the right to choose." Adult-aged women and even older teens are perfectly capable of carrying an unborn child to term and surrendering it for adoption. Taking the easy way out ends a human life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,471,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
abortion being murder is a personal perspective and one that is not shared by all. women live by their own individual moral code, your view has no bearing.
Actually, you're entirely wrong. We live in a society. We have laws, and we have means of changing those laws. When it comes to something like whether chocolate or vanilla is the better flavor, then that is personal perspective. When it comes to what constitutes murder, that is not personal perspective within a society. That is a matter for the law to determine, not your personal opinion.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:09 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,471,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is a right to privacy in medical decisions. There is also a right to bodily autonomy.
There is also a parental responsibility to care for a child. So if you want to go that route, which I've seen done before - "nobody can force you to donate a kidney to save someone else's life, so why should a woman be forced to use her body to support an unwanted fetus" - it's also a loser for the pro choice crowd. Society recognizes a special relationship between parent and child with rules that don't apply in other situations. If I don't feed you, that's fine and that's my choice. But if I don't feed my child, then I am guilty of a crime. The only way in which the unborn child can be fed is through its mother's body, so she has no choice but to surrender her "bodily autonomy" for that purpose until such a time as the child is viable on its own, whereupon she is free to give it up for adoption and walk away. We already recognize this principle in that people can be found guilty of abuse and neglect of unborn children.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,346,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The March for Life Banners the Media Won

March for life is getting bigger each year even if the media won't show you.
Not sure what your point is here.

Hundreds of men, women, and children believe that abortion is wrong and they want every woman to abide by what they believe. This is not new and it is not really news. So why this thread??

Bottom line - if you are adamantly against abortion, don't have one. As for what others believe or do re abortion: MYODB!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 PM

65 posts, read 52,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug. Well we'll see what your reaction would be if you were forced by the government to have a hysterectomy.
What does this having to do with not allowing killing a (developing) human being?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,580,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniOdin View Post
What does this having to do with not allowing killing a (developing) human being?
You want to dictate that a woman be forced to have a kid. If you were forced not to have one you'd be crying about that. Bottom line: quit crying. You'll never change someone's mind so end the monotonous belly aching already. It's boring.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,538,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Not sure what your point is here.

Hundreds of men, women, and children believe that abortion is wrong and they want every woman to abide by what they believe. This is not new and it is not really news. So why this thread??

Bottom line - if you are adamantly against abortion, don't have one. As for what others believe or do re abortion: MYODB!

Have you ever told a child about abortion and what it is? If you have than you have seen the horror in their eyes and they can't hardly believe something like that can happen. Remember it wasn't too long ago when they were born and they can relate big time to the baby. So I can't agree with you that children want every woman to do what they want to do with the baby, not if it means abortion for the baby.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't get it, what's so special about those banners that the author of the article says the media won't show people them?
The banner said, "Black lives count, even those in the womb." Yes, the media has a problem showing that banner.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
From what I read, there was about 500,000 in attendance (about 150,000 less than in 2013).
That is probably because there were many marches around the country. It can be hard to go to D.C. and easier to march closer to home. More marches in different states and more all the time.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
If you don't like abortion then don't have one.
If you don't like slavery, don't own a slave. I think people in the past heard that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies