Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times

Advertisements

From the land of the loons:

Quote:
Outside Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School in Fair Oaks, Amanda Christensen recalled the first time she saw the detailed report card for her three children.

“At first it was very complicated,” Christensen said. “You see all these new things and you don’t understand quite what they mean.”

Case in point: Her kids are now graded on their level of grit.

“What does my child have to do to get a grade in that?” she wondered.

Across the state, report cards are undergoing a sea change in how students are measured for academic performance. Where teachers once graded students on traditional math or English skills, they now judge attributes such as grit, gratitude or being sensitive to others.

Read more here: Grit and gratitude join reading, writing and arithmetic on report cards | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee
Good question Ms. Christensen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times
I have no issue with these principles being taught, but yeah, a little difficult to grade.

Land of the loons? I have relatives in Falls Church who would refer to Maryland in that manner.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 PM

45,219 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Patents should home or private school if they don't want their kids to be zombies.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Our public school system is becoming an international laughingstock. Other countries teach skills, things like math and science. We teach "grit". I think our schools are being dumbed town to the level of the administrators.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Patents should home or private school if they don't want their kids to be zombies.

What's wrong with some good old fashioned government indoctrination?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
I heard that they make 4th graders watch "the notebook" and if they don't cry they fail the class. Once the class is failed you must watch "ol yeller" at least once a month for the next year until the appropriate amount of tears are expressed.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
I am still lost trying to understand the idea behind the common core curriculum (even after being explained 100+ times). Our area is considered among the better NY school districts, and the failure rate double across the board. I can only imagine struggling districts in NYC. So maybe to cover this epic failure they are trying to introduce "new and creative" grading?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
If schools taught skills that CAN be graded...wouldn't that be amazing! Like adding, or spelling....concrete things!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:30 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
I didn't understand why everyone was so upset about common core until I saw some of the math problems...and now I get it. We're doing a terrible disservice to the kids who are learning that stuff and don't have parents who have the time, ability, and inclination to supplement their education.

Honestly this sort of nonsense is nonsense but whatever, it will just end with teachers giving everyone an A and moving on. The real problem with common core is a focus on mnemonics and mental shortcuts so that the kids who aren't good at math can do the basics while even mediocre students fail to learn the basic knowledge and instincts that are so helpful when doing upper-division math or quantitative work (it helps to just *know* the answer to basic arithmetic and figure out how numbers work together organically rather than just memorizing specific shortcut manipulations -- and yeah I know complaining about both too much and too little memorization is inconsistent, but there is both a proper time and place for each). It's like a failed version of tracking where you design a class for the bottom rung of students, but then dump everyone in it.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 PM

137 posts, read 144,219 times
A bit cheesy yes, but it's a start towards a worthy idea.

That is, requiring our school system to teach students about life, and not just books.

I went to a very elite high school and look back at my college years as that of a completely helpless child with no idea how anything in life really works.

That is not a default disposition via age, or a function of bad parenting IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies