Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,310,352 times

Advertisements

Iran-Backed Militias Are Getting U.S. Weapons - Bloomberg View

I'm not so sure if i'm buying this notion completely that Iraqis are turning these weapons over to Iranian backed militias. Is it possible that WE'RE giving Iran these weapons through back channels and giving these militias the training too?

Or am i being a bit too conspiratorial? I mean, there's a photo in this link of then using a frickin Abrams tank! I didn't even know we were giving those to Iraqis.

Still though, the Iraqis can't fight effectively against ISIS without Iranian backed Shiite militias.

I thought this part of the link was interesting:

Quote:
Senator John McCain, the new chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, traveled to Baghdad last week and met with senior Americans and Iraqis, including Abadi. He told us that officials from both countries informed him that the Iraqi government was handing over American weapons to Shiite militias connected to Iran.

“The Iraqi military is a long way from being prepared to act in an impactful fashion, meanwhile the vacuum is being filled by Shia militias that are Iranian backed. And I was told … that some of those arms came from the United States of America,” McCain said. “The Iranians are now, to a large degree, through the Shia militias, in the absence of a capable Iraqi military, doing most of the fighting against ISIS. That cannot be in the U.S. interest.”

McCain and other U.S. officials said it’s difficult to track the exact weapons the Iraqi government is giving the Shiite militias, and it is also unknown whether the militias are receiving weapons that the U.S. gave Iraq long ago or have been sent to since the U.S. re-engaged in fighting in Iraq over last summer.
It's all quite convoluted, and clearly we've lost whatever control we've ever had of the situation...unless we haven't.

But here's the kicker; McCain just acknowledged that Iranian proxies are doing all of the fighting, or at least the effective fighting. But why would he say that it's not in the U.S. interest if the common goal is to defeat ISIS?

Moreover, it makes more sense to me to just cut the Iraqis out of the deal completely and just deal directly with Iran. I mean, if they're using our weapons anyway and are doing the only fighting that's even noteworthy, why keep bothering with the Iraqis?

I already know the legalities of that proposal so don't bother me with that. But this seems like a good reason to change those legalities and deal with the reality...Iran is the major power in that region now. And we may as well face up to it and deal with them as a temporary partner if this ISIS thing is so important to us, as many Americans seem to think it is. (i don't...by the way)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,979,562 times
They are losing a grip on their manufactured narrative.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,817,846 times
We should just back out of the area, let them kill each other, and continue to undermine their nuclear aspirations.

The last wars are pretty much the same as Viet Nam. We shouldn't have been there in the first place, and once we got their, old men who never fought in the field dictated the rules of engagement from comfy chairs in DC.

The outcome is exactly the same. We gave back everything we gained, making the whole thing pointless... except of the course for the BILLIONS of $$$ funneled from the tax payers to the war contractors. That's exactly what happened in VN as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
They are losing a grip on their manufactured narrative.
Someone clearly is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We should just back out of the area, let them kill each other, and continue to undermine their nuclear aspirations.

The last wars are pretty much the same as Viet Nam. We shouldn't have been there in the first place, and once we got their, old men who never fought in the field dictated the rules of engagement from comfy chairs in DC.

The outcome is exactly the same. We gave back everything we gained, making the whole thing pointless... except of the course for the BILLIONS of $$$ funneled from the tax payers to the war contractors. That's exactly what happened in VN as well.
I agree with you, except that i have no interest in undermining their nuclear ambitions.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 PM

47,053 posts, read 26,160,135 times
Installing a Shia government right next to Iran was a bad idea? Who could have guessed?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,817,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Someone clearly is.

I agree with you, except that i have no interest in undermining their nuclear ambitions.
Could you imagine the consequences to the world will if these zealots go nuclear? Keep in mind they WANT to destroy the world and usher in the 12th Imam.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Could you imagine the consequences to the world will if these zealots go nuclear? Keep in mind they WANT to destroy the world and usher in the 12th Imam.
Pakistanis are far more fanatical than Iranians ever were, and no one is worried about them.

I'm not worried about a nuclear Iran.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,898,296 times
Quote:
I won't be surprised if this is EXACTLY what they preach in those countries about us. You can't talk someone to disarm, by pushing your own arms and support in their neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM

17,511 posts, read 9,335,135 times
Obama is only really interested in one thing .... his "Legacy".

He has no knowledge of World History, Military tactics, Foreign Policy or Politics. He basically runs a "Containment" Policy and will Ally with anyone to will aid in the Containment. TeamObama (Obama and a small group of his aides) Micro-manage everything. They have pushed out the State Dept and the Pentagon.

We allied with Turkey for a while and that gave us the Libyan Debacle. We are now pushing the Arab States (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan) aside to ally with Iran/Syria/Hezbollah. Many articles and interviews are available from former Obama Administration people that tell about this. Secretary of Defense Gates and Panetta, Syrian Ambassador Ford, the Head of Defense Dept Intelligence.

This is just one more article in a long string that Major Media will ignore ..... gotta protect that desperate hunt for a "Legacy". Are we funneling money to Iran? Yes of course, there are frequent articles about that. Are we allowing the Iranian Guard to have US weapons and give them to Shiite Muslim fighters? You Betcha. Do we coordinate with the Butcher of Damascus and make sure his allies (Hezbollah/Iran) get weapons and intel? YEP

It's never ending and it all comes out of the Oval Office. There will be a price to pay AND Obama is going to get a "Legacy" he never expected. They can't hide this stuff and it won't be the Gruber'd that write the history on it.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:16 PM

78,853 posts, read 61,050,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pakistanis are far more fanatical than Iranians ever were, and no one is worried about them.

I'm not worried about a nuclear Iran.
Agreed.

Iran is going to find out that being in the nuke club isn't as "liberating" as they might think.

It really raises the stakes of rhetoric and conventional exchanges.

Plus, if you ever do lose control of a nuke and it gets used on somebody....god help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies