Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So? Vaccination diminishes or even eradicates the possibility that you will become a vector in an outbreak, regardless of patient zero's ethnicity or place of birth.
"Vector" is a derogatory term used to describe subhuman life forms.

Humans are hosts and hostesses!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM

998 posts, read 665,040 times
Whether it's an Onion article or night, there are a scary amount of parents who actually think this way (save for the final sentence). I've met several of these self-proclaimed vaccine experts, sadly.

I suppose it's a combination of the younger generations having little exposure to outbreaks such as polio, mixed with a concern for their children (they don't want to see them in any discomfort, which includes shots or vaccinations at the doctor). People don't appreciate things when they're going right, which includes disease prevention. And of course, just plain stupid.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
HyperVocal

As a mother, I put my parenting decisions above all else. Nobody knows my son better than me, and the choices I make about how to care for him are no one’s business but my own. So, when other people tell me how they think I should be raising my child, I simply can’t tolerate it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I fully stand behind my choices as a mom, including my choice not to vaccinate my son, because it is my fundamental right as a parent to decide which eradicated diseases come roaring back.

Do do parents have the right to bring back polio, small pox, and measles from eradication?

I do not mind my kids getting vaccinated, but not in the 1st 2 years of life, especially when my kids were stay at home and not in daycare. my kids got their required vaccs at age 2+

Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
*shrug* sooner or later a big ole' wave of disease is going to kill off or maim enough anti-vaxxers to turn the tide on the issue.

The main gist of the vaccine issue is that they aren't perfect and they can have side-effects, but the alternative is much much worse.

So you have people sitting around attributing every evil they can to vaccinations while not having to stare the alternative in the face because most everyone else is vaccinated.

But eventually, that will change.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

Derogatory? I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but you correctly pointed out my error in terminology. I will keep the difference in mind for future posts.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Anti-vaxxers (aka idiots) are across the political spectrum.
Yep, there are a few main groups:

Religious healer types
all-natural types (same thing different diety)
conspiracy anti-corporate types

Sometimes there are blends but those are the ones that always post to the anti-vax threads here.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

Don't put your gender-centric labels on us....they're offensive and derogatory.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, there are a few main groups:

Religious healer types
all-natural types (same thing different diety)
conspiracy anti-corporate types

Sometimes there are blends but those are the ones that always post to the anti-vax threads here.
Vaccine resistance is one of those unusual issues where extremists on either side of the political spectrum overlap.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Not all vaccinations work on everyone and some people can't be vaccinated due to actual medical reasons.
This is the crux isn't it. I'd wondered... the "some people can't be vaccinated". My precious child can't be vaccinated so everyone else's child better be... I'm not buying it. When an entire classroom comes down with measles because of one unvaccinated child, and all these parents want to take the unvaccinated child's parents out behind the schoolhouse and shoot them, I want to ask... WTF... if your child is vaccinated and falls ill.... shouldn't you be going after the pharmaceutical company that made a lousy product? How does this always come down to everybody (except me or mine) should be vaccinated!!! I really need to understand this. I had planned to start a thread about it actually but it seems like it is a hot topic today. So, help a brother out. Tell me why it is so vitally important that everybody else should vaccinate their children and themselves, and what makes you special that you shouldn't. I.e. what actual medical conditions make vaccination unwise.

H

Old 01-30-2015, 12:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
This is the crux isn't it. I'd wondered... the "some people can't be vaccinated". My precious child can't be vaccinated so everyone else's child better be... I'm not buying it. When an entire classroom comes down with measles because of one unvaccinated child, and all these parents want to take the unvaccinated child's parents out behind the schoolhouse and shoot them, I want to ask... WTF... if your child is vaccinated and falls ill.... shouldn't you be going after the pharmaceutical company that made a lousy product? How does this always come down to everybody (except me or mine) should be vaccinated!!! I really need to understand this. I had planned to start a thread about it actually but it seems like it is a hot topic today. So, help a brother out. Tell me why it is so vitally important that everybody else should vaccinate their children and themselves, and what makes you special that you shouldn't. I.e. what actual medical conditions make vaccination unwise.

H

Are you banning grandma and grandpa from seeing your baby if they haven't gotten MMR vaccinations? How about Pertussis? How about Shingles vax? How about the FLU SHOT?

Send me a picture, or SCIPE. Will your precious contract a deadly disease from that too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies